• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Who was out for May Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donn

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Supposing we didn't really leave behind all the practitioners of traditional music of the British Isles, was anyone else out to welcome in the May-O?

It was about 5ºC here, I'm still recovering. I think the accordion was even sharper than usual in the cold, and I on tuba flatter, and trying to compensate for that while the mouthpiece drew all the warmth from my paralyzed lips always makes it a less than memorable musical experience. Luckily however, not raining nor windy.

You're a better man than I am... (doh!)
My side was up on Box Hill, but without me this year - Wednesday's are the toughest day of the week during term-time without getting up at 4.30am.

We didn't have a May day here in Holland this because yesterday we had an abdication and a coronation which was our free day. On the kings day anybody can go out and sell their old rubbish or perform on the street without a license. I always promise to go and play accordion and collect for charity but every year I end up not doing it.

Glenn said:
We didnt have a May day here in Holland this because yesterday we had an abdication and a coronation which was our free day. On the kings day anybody csn go out and sell their old rubbish oir perform on the street without a license. I always promise to gho and play accordion and collect for charity but everty year I end uo not doing it.

Erm,did we have a few brownies or a couple of oranjebooms before we tpyedd tish :lol:

In Estonia they celebrate Walpurgis night, or "Volbriöö" - they make bonfires, fireworks and children dress up as witches. It's a bit surreal, some sort of Bonfire Night / Halloween fusion, in the middle of spring!

Unfortunately, the quality of my typing correlates with the quality of my playing.
I must have extraordinary large fingers.... :?

I played Tin Whistle with Hemlock Morris, 5.30am by Katherine's Cross in Ampthill Park. It was VERY cold. When I got home at 7am the chicken water was frozen. Even with fingerless gloves on my fingers were too cold to feel the whistle holes for the first number and then the hot aches set in as they warmed up. I'm not sure which was worse.

Next year it will be Piano Accordion. Does anyone play with thin gloves on?

Never thought of playing in gloves. Anyone gave experience if this?

I play with fingerless gloves all the time - cheap thin cycling gloves from the pound shop. Theyre not as warm as woolly ones, but the woolly ones slip to easily.
For next winter, Ill probably get my daughter to make me a special pair of warm warm gloves in Rampant Rooster colours, and sow some kind of grippy fabric onto the palm.

The No.1 Ladies have their very own special accordion gloves:

027PIC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back