• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

And you thought the accordion was complicated ?๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜„

These organs are always very impressive!
I play in the accordion orchestra Accordeana in Helmond (the Netherlands) and for decades we had our rehearsals (and some concerts) in the "Gavioli zaal" which was a museum of mechanical organs.
Here we had a small party:
PC169625.jpg
And here is the quintet ARTE in front of the largest organ:
PC169631.jpg
The building was later demolished (to make way for more housing) and the organs were moved to a new location (where we no longer have our practice session and concerts).

Thanks for posting that. Quite an interesting contraption (and video!). I saw and heard a similar one in operation once, maybe in New Orleans, maybe San Fran (things in my old brain are starting to run together!)

Being intimately familiar with player pianos I can see some similarities. The player piano is far simpler, playing just one instrument instead of many! The method of encoding the notes into heavy cardboard is interesting and somewhat similar, bulkier but appearing sturdier than the thin paper rolls used on player pianos.

A typical player piano, of course, runs entirely on foot-powered vacuum instead of positive air pressure, powering everything from the vacuum motor moving the paper roll, the note sensors, to the mechanical hammer strikers.

A problem with the thin, wide paper used on the player piano is keeping the roll aligned over the sensors since the paper can drift from side to side, and worse, when changes in humidity change the paper width, The technical ingenuity that solves that amazed me - dual vacuum sensors on either side of the sensing platen detect the paper position and dynamically shift the note-sensing platen as needed to correct for position drift, working regardless of changes in paper width - analog vacuum logic feeding a vacuum-powered adjustment mechanism. Blew my mind. That sensing mechanism, speed regulator, valves (essentially vacuum-powered amplifying switches), and hair-triggered strikers all built from wood, leather, a bit of metal, and lots of bellows cloth of various weights (I rebuilt 75 bellows in all, IIRC)

I read somewhere that player pianos were developed in the late 1800s, probably around the time the fairground organs were made. (And people today think weโ€™re smart.) The piano I rebuilt was from 1930 or so.

The Fairground Organ shown certainly looks complicated! Wikipedia tells me some models actually incorporated accordions,
โ€œrelatively rare configurations with one or more accordions, whose keys could be seen to moveโ€

JKJ

I read somewhere that player pianos were developed in the late 1800s, probably around the time the fairground organs were made. (And people today think weโ€™re smart.) The piano I rebuilt was from 1930 or so.

I think mine was from around 1905 - a basic 65-note model. No vacuum alignment - there was a lever under the keyboard and you had to keep an eye on the roll and adjust the lever!

Back