• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Studying Music Theory

Okdave

Reaction score
Studying Music has been an eye-opener in learning to play music. For years of trying to play. I purchased a new Martin D-18 in 1971. I have just learned to play in my retirement. Now Playing several instruments including the accordion in my studio Wayne, Pa.
Philadelphia Vintage Sound

Many years after college and grad school in non-music related disciplines, I unwillingly took 3 sequential semesters of college theory after getting into traditional folk music genres where much music is imparted by ear. I'd had no solfege in the 6 or 7 years of piano I had as a kid, and wanted to improve my dismal ear-learning skills. It turned out contemporary colleges still follow the classical conservatory framework, in which sequential semesters of ear-learning must be taken simultaneously with separate sequential theory semesters. So to get three semesters of ear classes I did theory through fugue. Had to analyze the Bach Riemenschneider for one final, a nightmarish experience involving more theory than I'll ever need or use.

But in retrospect the theory was helpful, particularly the foundational stuff. It's a good thing to be familiar with intervals, modulations, chord-building, what an inversion is. Still laughing at rigid rules such as, "NO PARALLEL FIFTHS!"

Last edited:
I’m 74. Pro musician on several instruments. Everything from broadway shows to symphony work. From recording, I get a musicians union pension. Been there, done it. I don’t recommend any amateur player study fugues or classical music theory. 99.9% of amateurs will just play songs/pop music/very light jazzy stuff etc. you would do much better if you just learn the basics of reading music notation…not sight reading, just enough so you can pick out a melody from a fake book. Put a little more effort into learning chords, chord substitutions,chord melody. All songs are just chords and a melody. Train your ear to hear chord progressions and you can play anything you want. If you know the ins and outs of chords, you can also improvise. Chord knowledge opens more doors than classical theory. I’ve never been asked about a Bach fugue, but I have many times been expected to play the right chords!

chords sweet chords.. they do seem to be what gets other older musicians
(who all play those old standards too) to smile

that and the timing.. the right notes.. the perfect moment..
delicately dropped in JUST so..

and when we hit it right, we earn the right to smile too.. we enjoy
it just as much..

and when we miss it, we know that too, even if the audience doesn't notice

Studying Music has been an eye-opener in learning to play music. For years of trying to play. I purchased a new Martin D-18 in 1971. I have just learned to play in my retirement. Now Playing several instruments including the accordion in my studio Wayne, Pa.
Philadelphia Vintage Sound
Most people don't have the luxury of having a studio to play around in, and it is nice to be able to play something, record it and play it back. For me, I don't really use the studio except for 2 things, to make videos and to learn how I can improve my technical skills to make better quality videos and to test techniques that improve my audio/video.

My days of needing to study theory is way in the past, but it's never a bad idea to maybe some day expand that to harmony and composition, though I have to admit, I have so much music that I want to record that I could likely spend a lifetime doing just that and be quite happy.

It was also good to learn about modes and modal scales. Not that I could rattle off each modal scale on the spot this second, or anything like that, but many of the world folk genres I play are loaded with tunes that are modal rather than straight major or minor. Modal scales pre-date the advent of classical Western harmony, but endure in the traditional music of Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Ireland/Scotland/UK, pre-bluegrass American oldtime genres, and elsewhere. Lots of medieval and Renaissance music is modal too. This sound has antecedents and links in the music of the Middle East, India/Pakistan, and Africa. I've lost count of the times in workshops, classes, or trad sessions that I've heard people say a tune sounds "weird" to them and "doesn't fit" their paradigm of major or minor. This is because the person's ear hasn't yet been exposed to the modal genres some of us live for. This was all super-interesting and helpful to learn about.

I’ve never been asked about a Bach fugue, but I have many times been expected to play the right chords!
Well, try playing the right chords to a Bach fugue! Or actually worse, to some of Grieg's piano pieces. The former does not really follow the melody/chord paradigm. And the latter does not really care about the kind of chords on Stradella.

One problem about those discussions is that "music theory" means something different to everybody. Being able to transpose notes and chords and figuring out accidentals is certainly useful for most musicians.

Well, try playing the right chords to a Bach fugue! Or actually worse, to some of Grieg's piano pieces. The former does not really follow the melody/chord paradigm. And the latter does not really care about the kind of chords on Stradella.

One problem about those discussions is that "music theory" means something different to everybody. Being able to transpose notes and chords and figuring out accidentals is certainly useful for most musicians.

So true--The first semester and a half of the three terms of theory I had to do in order to get three terms of ear-learning, have been invaluable.

Back