• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

strange cross-over between accordion (bayan) and bandoneon

Status
Not open for further replies.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While browsing accordion and bayan videos I found this: Has anyone ever seen this before? It looks a bit like a (non-diatonic) bandoneon, with a strap on both sides. The instrument body is actually more or less bayan-size, much larger than bandoneon-size and it has to bellow-halves that operate independently from each other.
I have seen bandoneon-like instruments that have three rows of buttons (typically C system) and that look partly and sound completely like a bandoneon. But this is different in size and sound. The keyboard on both sides is russian B system.
I dont understand anything the player is saying but what I do seem to see is that the instrument has straps in the center and that middle part separates the two halves so as stated earlier the bellows are actually not one whole. About 11 minutes into the video he starts playing bellow shake with the left part while playing long notes with the right part. (Around minute 25 he does it again.)
The left-hand side also has a sustain lever with which you can keep one (low bass) note pressed while playing other notes. At the end of the third piece he flicks the lever to release that note.
I think this is just a one-off experimental instrument (made by AKKO). Fun to watch and listen to. But I doubt there would be a large market for this.

Hi Paul,

Looks like a "one-off" as you say, constructed as part of a "scientific?" experiment.

Russian translation is " Bayan with a difference!" and I couldn't find anything on the player, Igor Zhiltsova, either. They do not seem to have afforded the instrument a specific name,which also tends to confirm it's unique status. The comments below the clip seem to concern a debate that very few people would be possessed of the ability to play such a complicated instrument, given that it has different dynamics on each side. That's about as much as I can make of it, as I'm not a Russian speaker and had to use online translation facilities, which as you know are often way off the mark.

I've seen bandoneons the size of medium sized accordions in Germany, but the keys were in the conventional bandoneon position. They are played at an angle away from the body due to their size.

I never realised the bandoneon was so popular in Russia, and it seems there are a lot of teachers who give lessons on both bandoneon and accordion/bayan.

Think I'll contact Akko and see if they'll make me an "Akkordbassguitar", with treble keys on the right and a bass guitar fretboard on the left, as that's the only way I'd ever be able to play free bass.

Maybe someone will have seen the guy play it and have more info, or can research it accurately in Russian.

Thank you for the YT video with the bayan differential. Indeed 2 separate bellows parts to differentiate in sound and volume or air pressure etc etc. Not unique but never has been popular. Difficult and clumsy instrument.
See also info, articles and online videos about the italian bercandeon. Has also separated bellows. I guess already tried in 19th century accordion and concertina making.

Searched YT for "bercandeon" and somebody has linked the instrument subject of the OP to it. There is certainly a strong resemblance between the two (at least it looks that way to me), and there appear to have been quite a few bercandeons made.

I'm learning something on here every 15 minutes at the moment!

It looks like the "bercandeon" with its triple bellows (like a bandoneon) does not have separate compartments for the left versus right side. So no bellows shake with one side and long notes with the other side. Other than that both the odd instrument I found (a video of) and the bercandeon are rather strange instruments. I wonder what the designers of these odd instruments were thinking...

Edit: it appears that the bercandeon with just two bellows does have separate compartments.

Here is an interview with the creators of the bercandeon:

http://www.strumentiemusica.com/en/...ssion-fiorenzo-bernasconi-and-his-bercandeon/

Info and pics of the 1891 Hand-Harmonium by F. Gerl:
http://www.bandonion.info/de/solo,146.htm

The Symphonetta, split bellows on a table supporting it, see the double bellows inside traditional harmoniums, etc:
http://www.bandonion.info/de/solo,067.htm

The handharmonium version Probst:
http://www.bandonion.info/de/solo,180.htm

These are all different music instruments.

They were shortlived, I dont understand why the Italians want to revive something like the bercandeon.
Im pretty sure accordion makers in the 1830-s-1850s already experimented with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back