• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion with strange keyboard

Big Squeezy Accordions

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I once came across an accordion on eBay that looked like an ordinary piano accordion, except that, instead of the normal layout of black and white keys, the keys alternated between black and white symmetrically, so every other key was a black one. It was like a child's drawing of an accordion come to life. Clearly the person selling it had no idea that it was unusual in any way. I really wanted it, but didn't get it. I wish I could remember the brand. Anyone ever seen one of these?

Your question here might be on a "Uniform keyboard" invented by John Reuther.
Scarce as Hen's teeth they just most all have found the landfill.

Last edited:
Your question here might be on a "Uniform keyboard" invented by John Reuther.
Scarce as Hen's teeth they just most all have found the landfill.
Thanks. No, I am familiar with the Reuther keyboard. This one had keys just like a piano accordion, except without any adjacent white keys.

Wow: interesting!🤔
Thanks for sharing, Andy 🙂
Is there a name for it?🤫

Last edited:
I once came across an accordion on eBay that looked like an ordinary piano accordion, except that, instead of the normal layout of black and white keys, the keys alternated between black and white symmetrically, so every other key was a black one. It was like a child's drawing of an accordion come to life. Clearly the person selling it had no idea that it was unusual in any way. I really wanted it, but didn't get it. I wish I could remember the brand. Anyone ever seen one of these?

Could be a Vyatka garmon:

Here's one from a book about vintage accordions I have...
The book is in pdf format - I can email it to you, if you like.
Yes, that's similar to the one I saw, though clearly older and more ornate. The one I saw looked to have been made in the 50s or 60s, so apparently this idea hung around for decades, albeit on the extreme fringe of accordion design.

And do all of those black keys actually play?

I would give about 10 to 1 odds that this is mechanically a standard piano keyboard, with dummy B#/Cb and E#/Fb keys, or with those keys mechanically attached to one of the adjacent notes.

While there are a very few folks experimenting with 'two rows of six' keyboards with whole tone scales today, I am not aware of such ever being mass produced, then or now.

Back