• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Squeaky treble key springs on old PA

Reaction score
If I were to replace them would that help lower the noise, or am I stuck with it? It's the type where the keys are able to be removed individually and it has an included tool behind the grill.

Could they be squeaking at the anchor points?
If so, could WD40 dry lube fix it?🤔

Happens with some types of springs, like those on the old Atlantic series. A bit of dry lube or silicone lube applied very sparingly may help. (Lube tends to attract dust, but it does not do too much harm underneath the keys.

Dry lube is the answer.

this sounds like a common scandalli type build, which
would be largely Aluminum as far as the eye can see under
the (also aluminum) grille, with an aluminum keybed

noise abatement in these instruments is mostly improved by
cleaning, and the judicious adding of sound absorbing
thin felt material where possible

and i would ask are the springs actually making the noise or
is it the pivot points.. in these accordions the spring only stretches longitudinally
with no looseness or shifting typically to be seen, hence, no squeaking from rubbing

Ventura is correct on the pivot points. That noise you here is a warning that the aluminum contact points
are lacking a proper lube and wearing out. If you remove a key you will see the spots (shiny) that require
lube.

Back