• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally 7 October 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBR

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Testing the water here.... I'm wondering if it would be nice to organise a "Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally" - the idea of a rally being a time and a place for people with a shared interest to meet rather than a more formal event like a festival.

What's coming to mind is:-
- A Saturday in August (presuming that not that many accordion players holiday in school holidays) Don't want to leave it too long!
- A location in south Oxfordshire - close to the A34 for north/south access and M4 for east/west
- Get together in a village hall from mid-morning, bring instruments to show, compare, try out etc.
- Bring any instruments for sale, might be possible to get some other instruments specifically for sale there.
- Anyone thinking of swapping to CBA from PA, or starting from scratch would be welcome.
- "Ploughmans" type lunch and other refreshments organised (by me.)
- After lunch "show and tell," encouraging as many as possible to play a tune, share things of interest, ask opinions, etc.
- Maybe find a tune or some music (poll on this forum to decide what) to have a massed play.
- Ends late afternoon.
- Cost minimal, £5 or £10 a head.

What do you think? Comments on any or all points.
Whether I go ahead or not depends significantly on the level of interest expressed here. Send me a PM if you don't want to make a public comment.

"Rallies" in the world of old motorbikes have been described as "ride two hundred miles, stand about in a field talking bikes, ride two hundred miles home!"

Tom

Sounds like a great idea Tom for those close enough.
Not sure I'll be in driving distance in August but I sure as hell support the idea.
In fact it's an idea I was toying with myself but delayed it a year or so until I get my house in France up to scratch to hold such an event.
Maybe we need a "heat map" of where everyone lives to find the most convenient place to hold a rally.
South Oxfordshire is a nice place by the way for a holiday if anyone is thinking of travelling. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes
I would be interested and it would help me to network
Absolute beginner!!

Glenn said:
(...) France (...) event.
Sounds good ;) ...especially if theres space to park a camping car :)

meantime, Oxford sounds almost as good, would there be any possibility of using the Village hall in the evening ...and overnighting in me motorhome?

Lovely idea! I'd be up for it - my daughter lives in Oxfordshire, so I could combine this with a visit to her. I can only do the 19th and the 26th August, however (Sidmouth Folk Festival takes up the first two Saturdays!).

sounds good! would it be just for CBA's or would it include BCA's

george :) :evil: ;)

george garside said:
sounds good! would it be just for CBA's or would it include BCA's

george :) :evil: ;)
Well George, they are anagrams of each other!
Seems fine to me, particularly if it tips the balance into making it a runner!
Tom

Many thanks for replies folks, looks like it might work.
I'll do some venue checking and come back with potential dates.
I think it might have to go back to October. Let me know if that makes a difference.
Tom

Sounds like a fantastic idea. I would definitely come along ----- if I didn't play piano accordion!

Seriously though, I would drive as far as South Oxfordshire if there was a regular accordion club/event of some kind.

simonking said:
Sounds like a fantastic idea. I would definitely come along ----- if I didnt play piano accordion!

Seriously though, I would drive as far as South Oxfordshire if there was a regular accordion club/event of some kind.
Youd just have to hope nobody saw this message and pretend to be interested in changing to CBA! :D

Just a thought... I hope if I turn up, you lot are actually going to talk to me.
I've been finding it very noticeable that my contributions to threads almost always get ignored completely. It's becoming quite unpleasant!

Anyanka said:
Just a thought... I hope if I turn up, you lot are actually going to talk to me.
I've been finding it very noticeable that my contributions to threads almost always get ignored completely. It's becoming quite unpleasant!
Oh dear, that's dreadful! Nothing mysterious or underhand going on here I promise.

Sorry to have been busy with other things but still aiming to consult on SECBAR dates v soon, where I hope there will be much talking in all directions!
Tom

Anyanka ....... I hope that you are mistaken, and that there is nothing sinister going on.

Bocsa .......... Ditto the above.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

never thought there was owt sinister, just the usual ... folks not reading wot's writ innit

...hadn't given it a second thought 'til it was mentioned, happy to move on, if it happens, it happens.

I'll chat to anyone in real life....don't go getting paranoid folks...we're probably all shy when it comes to posting :lol: replies...

Anyanka said:

Anyanka, you can come and sit next to me! :D :tup:

JonathanC said:
Anyanka said:
Ive been finding it very noticeable that my contributions to threads almost always get ignored completely. Its becoming quite unpleasant!

Anyanka, you can come and sit next to me! :D :tup:

:ch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back