• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally 7 October 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Tom and all other CBAists. Any further thoughts on this Rally? I will come if I'm available, the earlier I know a date, the more likely to be available!
b.t.w. Tom, I met you at the "Clog Ale" at Daglingworth.
Rgds John

Hi John, good to hear from you, I was planning on getting a message to you via Sabotage in case you didn't see it here.
Looking at Saturdays in October and hope to have something definite in the next day or so.
Tom

Hi folks
Going for 7th October 2017 in Steventon, Oxfordshire. Just west of the A34 near Didcot and not far north of Chievely junction of the M4.
So, please save the date and I'll add other info shortly.

Slightly updated version of what I said before.....
What's coming to mind is:-
- Get together in the hall from mid-morning, bring instruments to show, compare, try out etc.
- Bring any instruments for sale, might be possible to get some other instruments specifically for sale there.
- Anyone thinking of swapping to CBA from PA, or starting from scratch would be welcome.
- "Ploughmans" type lunch and other refreshments organised (by me.)
- After lunch "show and tell," encouraging as many as possible to play a tune, share things of interest, ask opinions, etc.
- Maybe find a tune or some music to have a massed play.
- Ends late afternoon.
- Cost minimal, £10 a head.

"Rallies" in the world of old motorbikes have been described as "ride two hundred miles, stand about in a field talking bikes, ride two hundred miles home!"

Cheers,
Tom

I'm up for this too. I don't frequent the forums as often as I'd like to but now I know this is on I'll check back more often.
I can bring my Saltarelle Bourroche and my Victoria Poeta (which is 'kind of" for sale) for people to have a go on if they want.
It's so frustrating not being able to try new CBAs before buying. It's a lot of money to drop on something you're not going to see for up to 6 months!
Ben

craptiger post_id=48566 time=1499862735 user_id=127 said:
Its so frustrating not being able to try new CBAs before buying. Its a lot of money to drop on something youre not going to see for up to 6 months!
Ben

Thats one of the reasons why I like buying second-hand - I still love the Pigini I bought from you four years ago!

Perhaps you'd like to upgrade to a lovely Poeta? Or even just add it to your collection? :tup:

It's in my diary!
looking forward to meeting all you button box types.
john

craptiger post_id=48605 time=1499959589 user_id=127 said:
Perhaps youd like to upgrade to a lovely Poeta? Or even just add it to your collection? :tup:

Itll be nice to try it... but I very much hope that I wont be smitten with it... Ive already got to find the money for two more sets of bagpipes that Ive ordered!

Geoff de Limousin post_id=49670 time=1503314709 user_id=1371 said:
Would love to come to this event.... perhaps I can ... a definate maybe.
Great if you can Geoff.
Ill be sending out more detailed info shortly.
Tom

Hi folks, more detailed info as promised.

Saturday 7th October 2017 - the First Ever
Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
The Chromatic Button Accordion (CBA) is relatively rare in the UK. There are not many players, not many instruments, very few teachers, and not much learning material in English. The internet makes a huge amount of information available, and awareness of this wonderful instrument has probably never been higher. But, “online” only goes so far. Some players may never have met anyone else who plays the system. There’s no one they can ask, “what about this” or can tell “I’ve been doing this, what do you think?” For most people who might like to learn the system there is nowhere accessible where they can actually try a CBA.
So, the first Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally (SECBAR) aims to bring together players, instruments, and potential players in one place and time.
It will be what those who come make it, but aims and suggestions include:-
- An opportunity to meet and talk to other people who are interested in the instrument
- An opportunity to try different instruments
- An opportunity to describe difficulties or share discoveries
- An opportunity to sell and buy instruments. (Black Diamond Accordions are bringing their new instruments for sale.)
- We hope people will bring relevant music books and “tutors” either for sale or so that others can have a good look before buying elsewhere
Anyone with an interest in CBA is welcome, whether they already play, at any level, or would like to find out more. As well as the chance to meet people, talk, and see and play instruments the day should include:-
- An informal “seminar,” a chance to ask questions or share information with a group of people
- A chance for those who wish to do so to play some music, or demonstrate something they like.
- A “massed play” from sheet music of something that should sound good on lots of accordions!
Logistics – Saturday 7th October 2017.
- The venue is St Michael’s church hall, Steventon, near Didcot Oxfordshire. “Church Lane, Steventon, Oxfordshire, OX13 6SW - From the High Street turn into the Causeway (signposted to church) all the way up past the North Star and over the level crossing until you come to Church Lane.” It’s in the churchyard. There’s easy parking in a village environment outside.
- Meet mid-morning onwards, I’ll be there by 10.30. Tea, coffee, biscuits and water will be available all day. Meet, show, play, talk, discuss, look at, buy, sell!
- “Ploughmans” type lunch provided. (Let me know of any special dietary needs.)
- After lunch show and tell, encouraging as many as possible to play a tune, share things of interest, ask opinions, etc.
- Massed CBA “choir”
- Ending “tea-time” – (Some people have evening gigs to play for.)
- Cost £8 a head to include lunch, refreshments and contribution to hall hire. Pay on the day, but please email <EMAIL email=secbar96@outlook.com>secbar96@outlook.com</EMAIL> to book your place and with any questions, or phone 01993 823 999 or 07989 888 263 If you have anything for sale please let me know details, including guide price, in advance if possible so others can come prepared! If you have topics you’d like to discuss, questions to ask, or music we can play, please let me know.

PDF flyer with this info attached.

Attachments

• SECBAR flyer.pdf
    301.5 KB · Views: 80
I've added a notice about this event to the top of the forum, for a little more exposure. :tup:

Knobby post_id=49940 time=1504083933 user_id=54 said:
Ive added a notice about this event to the top of the forum, for a little more exposure. :tup:

Nice feature that this can be done on the board, and this event certainly warrants the extra exposure.
The CBA isnt all that popular in England. It is rapidly gaining popularity around here (Belgium, the Netherlands) and really deserves that because of the added possibilities it offers over PA.

Thanks Knobby, that's great.
Thanks Paul and Nuuksu. I do wonder if there's a tipping point in this country where the popularity of CBA might grow quite quickly. The internet gives such easy access to knowledge, it's then a matter of getting access to instruments in the real world!
Tom

Hello everyone. I've just emailed Tom to confirm my attendance at this event (<EMAIL email="secbar96@outlook.com">secbar96@outlook.com</EMAIL>). I'm sure he would appreciate everyone letting him know as soon as possible!

I'm a "B" system player .. am I going to be Johnny no mates amonst all you "C" types? At least, we can argue about which system......mmm...probably best to leave that alone.
John

John Vernon post_id=50122 time=1504695546 user_id=974 said:
Hello everyone. Ive just emailed Tom to confirm my attendance at this event (<EMAIL email=secbar96@outlook.com>secbar96@outlook.com</EMAIL>). Im sure he would appreciate everyone letting him know as soon as possible!

Im a B system player .. am I going to be Johnny no mates amonst all you C types? At least, we can argue about which system......mmm...probably best to leave that alone.
John
Thanks John!
I hope therell be a mix of systems, then everyone can wonder if theyve made/are making the right choice! I hope Black Diamond will bring both versions and Ill be bringing a Hohner Sirena B system that will be for sale in due course. (At present only the treble end is in playing order and I doubt Ill get it finished in time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back