• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hello from Southern New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bum

Reaction score
Hello All, The avatar pic is from a few years ago, I am now 70 and have become interested in the accordion again as a lot of people have, since the start of covid 19. I took lessons from about 11 - 15 or so and got away from the accordion by high school. When in the US Navy, our ship pulled into Augusta, Sicily in 1971. While walking through the town I happened to walk by a small music shop and noticed a beautiful red accordion inside. Of course, I had to go in to look at it and play it. And of course, I ended up buying it. Will try to post a pic of it, down in the engine room of the USS Wood County, LST 1178. With getting married, having a family, etc. I kinda got away from it again. I tried taking lessons about 5-7 years ago but was too busy to keep up with it. Now, with the covid going on, I have jumped back into it. I have been using online tutorials along with the sheet music and have made progress. Even got a small compliment from the wife. The accordion that I bought in Italy, needed a little work even though it sounded pretty good, I decided to upgrade to a Scandalli Air 1 S LMMH which is much nicer then what I need, but at this point in my life, Why not. I am enjoying playing it and am spending an hour or two a day on it. Still not very good at it, but I enjoy it. Would like to meet up with someone that may be close by. Might help, not many accordion players out there.

Attachments

• accordionwayne.jpg
    accordionwayne.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 17
Welcome Wayne! Gotta think there's an accordion club somewhere around south Jersey.... Have fun and good luck!

Welcome. I am from southern NJ. If you are looking to meet up with other people in the area, there is the Acme Accordion School in Westmont, NJ. I haven't been in a few years, but they host events from time to time, including the AAMS accordion festival. Last year, it was held in Cherry Hill. I can't seem to find their website, but if you search the web, you can find a phone number. There is also Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia---is that where you got the Scandalli? I know they have some nice Scandalli instruments there. Send me a message if you want to meet up for lunch. We've been spending a lot of time at the shore, but once the season is over, I'll be around more.

Welcome aboard, fellow NJ person! Nick already said a mouthful. I don't think Acme has a website. You can try to call, but Joanna is very busy as she runs the place by herself.

Hello All, The avatar pic is from a few years ago, I am now 70 and have become interested in the accordion again as a lot of people have, since the start of covid 19. I took lessons from about 11 - 15 or so and got away from the accordion by high school. When in the US Navy, our ship pulled into Augusta, Sicily in 1971. While walking through the town I happened to walk by a small music shop and noticed a beautiful red accordion inside. Of course, I had to go in to look at it and play it. And of course, I ended up buying it. Will try to post a pic of it, down in the engine room of the USS Wood County, LST 1178. With getting married, having a family, etc. I kinda got away from it again. I tried taking lessons about 5-7 years ago but was too busy to keep up with it. Now, with the covid going on, I have jumped back into it. I have been using online tutorials along with the sheet music and have made progress. Even got a small compliment from the wife. The accordion that I bought in Italy, needed a little work even though it sounded pretty good, I decided to upgrade to a Scandalli Air 1 S LMMH which is much nicer then what I need, but at this point in my life, Why not. I am enjoying playing it and am spending an hour or two a day on it. Still not very good at it, but I enjoy it. Would like to meet up with someone that may be close by. Might help, not many accordion players out there.
Welcome and congratulations on the new accordion as well as spending an hour or two spent daily playing. I wish that I could make the same claim. As far as "not many accordion players out there ", I think that we're like cockroaches, somewhat shy and don't want to attract attention to ourselves but then there are more of us than you would think. ?

Thank You for the responses. I did take some lessons with Joanna at Acme about five or so years ago. as I mentioned, I was too busy at the time to practice and get to my lessons. I did purchase my Scandalli at Liberty Bellows, good experience and not very far from where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back