• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sounds like the real thing!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Sounds just like the real thing!??
What about this, then ??
Finally, this one??

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean with "sounds like the real thing" but if "the real thing" is an accordion then only the first and third video count as sounding like the real thing. The Roland has great possibilities for sounding "like the real thing" but in the second video, sadly not even close!

??Agreed, Paul!
Seems there are accordions, and there are accordion shaped portable electronic organs.?
Of course, they too have their legitimate uses!?

Last edited:
??Agreed, Paul!
Seems there are accordions, and there are accordion shaped portable electronic organs.?
Of course, they too have their legitimate uses!?
Indeed, the Roland has legitimate uses for sure. It isn't the strongest when it comes to accordion sounds, but some people like Piotr for instance make it come quite close. He has some really nice recordings on YouTube, on Roland and on his Victoria. They are a bit hard to compare because the Roland always has reverb and his recordings with the Victoria do not. If that were equalized between them the recordings would sound a lot more alike.

That Beltuna is errrmm... remarkable! Harmonium in a box. Don’t think he mentioned the weight. Backbreaking is my guess.

The Roland "V" accordions & Beltuna Evo's are 8 Lbs lighter than an acoustic accordion of the same size.

Try listening to this with your eyes closed and then comment on the accordion sampled sounds. ---

Well ?? Comments ???

Last edited:
Chrisrayner,
I think the weight of the Beltuna is given on their website as 12.2 kg (27 lb): manageable??

Chris,
There used to be a saying: "The heavier the accordion, the better it is!"?

Try listening to this with your eyes closed and then comment on the accordion sampled sounds. ---

Well ?? Comments ???
Not every register is as convincing, but especially the ones with tremolo sound quite similar to some examples of the real thing (not the ones I like, but realistic). The one I don't like at all starts at 2:00 (tango) because it sounds like a real accordion in which the voicing was very badly done!
Of course what you can recognize much more clearly than the different sounds is the playing style of Ludovic Beier...

Better as in more reed banks? I can certainly understand that that could be a consideration. I went from a 4-voice 41/120 PA to a 3-voice 96-bass CBA and almost halved the weight. My back was very grateful ?.

Chris

This sounds like lots of things:

For those who listen hard there are a couple of things I believe are now mistakes.

Maybe it's not your thing but what is not to your taste - well, you'll have it from the 'horse's mouth.'

This sounds like lots of things:

Maybe it's not your thing but what is not to your taste - well, you'll have it from the 'horse's mouth.'
Again what is clearly bad here is the "voicing" on the LH register. But I believe everything can be adjusted on the Roland, including this "replicated accordion flaw" which correctly voiced accordions do not exhibit!

Jim D, Dunlustin,
Sure, they're not bad and getting better!?
It's a bit like digital and film photography: they're not the same thing but each has its strengths (and weaknesses) ?

Last edited:
I think the one Jim D. posted is close enough that it now doesn't make a difference. It's down to what the player does with it that matters. I'd rather listen to music I like on an accordion that doesn't sound like an accordion than music I don't like on an accordion that does. But we'll have this same discussion in 5 years, just like we had 5 years ago. ?

I think the one Jim D. posted is close enough that it now doesn't make a difference. It's down to what the player does with it that matters. I'd rather listen to music I like on an accordion that doesn't sound like an accordion than music I don't like on an accordion that does. But we'll have this same discussion in 5 years, just like we had 5 years ago. ?
That's a very good point! What is being played is often more important than what the instrument it is played on really sounds like.
Still, I would adjust the Roland so the LH register doesn't sound like the L reed is choking...

I say time for a test!

if more than 50% of you can distinguish a Roland from an acoustic blindly, we will close this subject once and for all

but be careful, when Roland passes this Turing test, self-awareness will probably be not far behind...

I say time for a test!

if more than 50% of you can distinguish a Roland from an acoustic blindly, we will close this subject once and for all

but be careful, when Roland passes this Turing test, self-awareness will probably be not far behind...
I agree, time for a test! I'm pretty sure I will pass the test. Sadly very few already existing clips are available to reuse for the test. Many clips with accordion sounds have a non-accordion bass sound to go with it. And most if not all clips with acoustic accordions have different reverb than most Roland clips... so in order to not fall for these giveaways someone will need to create clips specifically for this test. Piotr maybe???

Interesting that Paul's dislike of the LH bass is supported by the FR* players who opt for (say) a string bass from the non-accordion options - the LH options may well be the weakest part.
Perhaps we could also vote on who cares if they can tell the difference.
I posted the presentation video because it is just that. I guess I'm a bit disappointed nobody seems interested in what the box can do.
Perhaps we could also vote to close other subjects where less than half of us can do something? Or did I miss some humour there?
I don't think it is unique to accordion enthusiasts but we do seem to focus on the things our instruments do not do - hence accordion acquisition syndrome.
Tastes and colours....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back