• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Harp sounds on my digital accordion

One of my favorite songs to play on free bass.
Porz Goret by Yann Tiersen

The video is lagging the audio so far behind that I find it distracting to watch. What video editor have you been using for synchronization, and did you achieve it manually or automatically? Did you use the audio track of the video recording for the alignment?

The video is lagging the audio so far behind that I find it distracting to watch. What video editor have you been using for synchronization, and did you achieve it manually or automatically? Did you use the audio track of the video recording for the alignment?
I recorded it on my phone by connecting the audio interface directly to my phone. Then I added some reverb using logic. Video effects were added by power director. Not sure which stage introduced the lag. I didn't move any of the clips. Pasted the output from logic over the original audio. When I played them together, the two audio tracks were in sync. I never checked the alignment with the video.

Nice playing Joseph, as usual, but any relationship between the accordion sounds and actual harp is purely imaginary.
(Says a Welsh born old guy whose early life revolved around several different types of harp and the music played on them.)
;)

Digital sounds are here to stay. What I would have given to have a pressure sensitive keyboard connected to a Kontakt library instead of that Cordovox I played in my HS jazz band back in the late 60's. Analog has its place and is wonderful. Pianists and organists can access digital libraries sounding very much like the sounds it delivers with the new technology. Why not the accordion?

Digital sounds are here to stay. What I would have given to have a pressure sensitive keyboard connected to a Kontakt library instead of that Cordovox I played in my HS jazz band back in the late 60's. Analog has its place and is wonderful. Pianists and organists can access digital libraries sounding very much like the sounds it delivers with the new technology. Why not the accordion?
Because it doesn't look the part.

You wouldn't be able to appreciate a violin player sounding like an accordion either.

Also keys aren't weighted and the right wrist angle is not really healthy for putting force into the keyboard action (and on CBA, things are too contorted anyway to make for sensible velocity control on each button). Forceful playing also is teaching bad habits with regard to playing acoustic instruments where it just gets you keyboard noise.

Try joining a band as "saxophone player" with a Roland.

Because it doesn't look the part.

You wouldn't be able to appreciate a violin player sounding like an accordion either.

Also keys aren't weighted and the right wrist angle is not really healthy for putting force into the keyboard action (and on CBA, things are too contorted anyway to make for sensible velocity control on each button). Forceful playing also is teaching bad habits with regard to playing acoustic instruments where it just gets you keyboard noise.

I did my time in bands. I love what a person can do with software and a good sound library AND and an analog instrument. I like to make music with whatever instruments I have at my disposal. I make background tracks with a Komplete Kontrol keyboard and whatever sounds I like. I practiced piano, accordion, trumpet, French horn, etc. Jack of all trades musically, master of none, but having fun and sharing it with my friends. There's a world of opportunities available with digital instruments. Accordionists are noticing.

I recorded it on my phone by connecting the audio interface directly to my phone. Then I added some reverb using logic. Video effects were added by power director. Not sure which stage introduced the lag. I didn't move any of the clips. Pasted the output from logic over the original audio. When I played them together, the two audio tracks were in sync. I never checked the alignment with the video.
I'm not getting any lag.

Why should a saxophone player playing in a band be chosen as a benchmark?
A saxophone player can not play not so the following:
1) place more than one not at a time to harmonize.
2) Play as solo performer without the support of a band or a backing track.
3) Produce sounds other than the acoustic sax sound.

Each instrument is unique. As long as players and audience appreciate it, what is the problem?

For the record, when I play at the airport, the staff prefers my digital accordion over acoustic. When I play my acoustic, they come to me and say "the other one sounds much better. Can you bring that next time?".

Forceful playing also is teaching bad habits with regard to playing acoustic instruments where it just gets you keyboard noise.

I do agree with this. Playing touch sensitive bass buttons on my digital accordion is one of the reasons for me banging on the bass buttons on my acoustic.

I appreciate that playing an 8x may get me accused of bias, but I truly enjoyed both the performance and the sounds, Bravo Breezy! Do they come as an UPG/bank that I could install on my 8x and, if so where are they available for purchase please?

Each instrument is unique. As long as players and audience appreciate it, what is the problem?

For the record, when I play at the airport, the staff prefers my digital accordion over acoustic. When I play my acoustic, they come to me and say "the other one sounds much better. Can you bring that next time?".
Joseph . A word of advice you are a good player on digital and acoustic accordion .... the only people you should listen to is the AUDIENCE to whom you are performing . . The comments from people at your Airport gig saying what they prefer speaks VOLUMES.... Listen Listen and Listen!!! ignore it at your performing peril !!!! Forget trying to impress/convert a staunch accordion traditionalist YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME .
Remember to Each His Own ........
Best wishes to you and keep gigging in live venues !!! It's also the best way to get extra bookings !! I hope you have a business card / leaflet
believe me you never know who you may meet .!!...or what connections they may have ..

Joseph . A word of advice you are a good player on digital and acoustic accordion .... the only people you should listen to is the AUDIENCE to whom you are performing
Well, they are certainly the most relevant metric to answer the question "do you like that?" but tend to be comparatively bad at suggesting improvements or offering actionable advice or more differentiated suggestions.

So for better or worse it can be useful to also pay attention to the naggers (assuming that they actually nag about details one can work on rather than the principle as such). Even if they may be a bad source for "how good will it be received overall" estimate.

Well, they are certainly the most relevant metric to answer the question "do you like that?" but tend to be comparatively bad at suggesting improvements or offering actionable advice or more differentiated suggestions.

So for better or worse it can be useful to also pay attention to the naggers (assuming that they actually nag about details one can work on rather than the principle as such). Even if they may be a bad source for "how good will it be received overall" estimate.
Yeah, but what if all they say is, “Can you play the Chicken Dance?”

I appreciate that playing an 8x may get me accused of bias, but I truly enjoyed both the performance and the sounds, Bravo Breezy! Do they come as an UPG/bank that I could install on my 8x and, if so where are they available for purchase please?
This is a UPG I made from from the existing sound bank. I can email you that. DM me.

Yeah, but what if all they say is, “Can you play the Chicken Dance?”
What if you cannot play it or are too snooty to play the request and say NO ...they may form the opinion of he/she cannot be any good they can not even play .the Chicken Dance ......."birdies Song to all Brits!! sometimes you just can't win !!.
Before Covid during the run up to christmas I was playing in a shopping mall for a Charity club raising money for their club funds ..
A mother and her 2 children came up to me whilst I was playing and said can you play the Birdies Song ? for my children as they love to dance to this song ! the children started to dance and in a few seconds the entertainment area was full of children and parents etc dancing and singing ,
And the Charity collection teams collecting tins and buckets got lots of money from happy parents friends / children and bye standers .
The head of the Charity branch in our city was there and she said please play the Birdies song every 45 minutes ....it brings in so much cash for us
OK!!! I replied same thing happened every time ....................moral of this true story .....................don't ignore requests !!!!.........make people happy

What if you cannot play it or are too snooty to play the request and say NO ...they may form the opinion of he/she cannot be any good they can not even play .the Chicken Dance ......."birdies Song to all Brits!! sometimes you just can't win !!.
Before Covid during the run up to christmas I was playing in a shopping mall for a Charity club raising money for their club funds ..
A mother and her 2 children came up to me whilst I was playing and said can you play the Birdies Song ? for my children as they love to dance to this song ! the children started to dance and in a few seconds the entertainment area was full of children and parents etc dancing and singing ,
And the Charity collection teams collecting tins and buckets got lots of money from happy parents friends / children and bye standers .
The head of the Charity branch in our city was there and she said please play the Birdies song every 45 minutes ....it brings in so much cash for us
OK!!! I replied same thing happened every time ....................moral of this true story .....................don't ignore requests !!!!.........make people happy
As it happens, I can play the Chicken Dance, even if under duress!!!! Not in my “normal” repertoire though.

You make a very good point Giovanni. Instead of saying “No,” I would say, “Hmmmm, good choice, thanks, but not today, how about xxxxxx which is kind of the same. Ah 1, ah 2, here we go!”

Moral of story, if you can’t play Chicken Dance or Beer Barrel you might as well just leave Wisconsin and move to Molise.

Back