• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sonola SS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

danp76

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm thinking about selling my ultra-clean Sonola SS5, wasn't sure what it would be worth? I will try to post some pictures. If I end up selling it, I'll post it in the "for sale" section of this site. I just wanted to get an idea of what it's value is.

An ss5 is a nice accordion but I believe is a ladies size? Maybe 17.5 inches? 3 reed blocks only. I think the reeds are usually hand made and Sonolas are super accordions. They are made well and have good sound. The keyboards are also very smooth in my experience. Value is tough to say without a picture of it and some internal pix too of the reeds and leathers. Im gonna through out a guess here- maybe be any where from $400 to maybe $900? A lot of variables here.

nagant27 said:
An ss5 is a nice accordion but I believe is a ladies size?  Maybe 17.5 inches? 3 reed blocks only.  I think the reeds are usually hand made and Sonolas are super accordions.  They are made well and have good sound. The keyboards are also very smooth in my experience.  Value is tough to say without a picture of it and some  internal pix too of the reeds and leathers.  Im gonna through out a guess here- maybe be any where from $400 to maybe $900?  A lot of variables here.

I will try to post some pictures, it look immaculate inside and out, even the case looks like new.

Here are some pictures of my Sonola SS5 that I'm thinking about selling.

Attachments

• Sonola SS5 Case.jpeg
    Sonola SS5 Case.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Sonola SS5 pic 2.jpeg
    Sonola SS5 pic 2.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Sonola SS5 pic 3.jpeg
    Sonola SS5 pic 3.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Sonola SS5 pic 4.jpeg
    Sonola SS5 pic 4.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 37
  • Sonola SS5 pic 5.jpeg
    Sonola SS5 pic 5.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Sonola SS5 pic 6.jpeg
    Sonola SS5 pic 6.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Sonola SS5 pic 7.jpeg
    Sonola SS5 pic 7.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 33
Very interesting Sonola. It looks pretty clean.
Do you have a serial number, or the year of manufacture ?
I saw a previous post that said the SS5 was a small accordion , mostly for ladies.
What is the treble keyboard size white to white; outside to outside.
What is the weight ?
Thanks,
CHICKERS

18" keyboard - 60's to mid 70's
Viewed it at my shop - very low mileage - not broken in yet -pristine condition
If I owned it I would ask $1200.00 to $1500.00 USD

Than you Jim. Chickers, it is in very nice shape, even the case is in like new condition. I will look for a serial number if that helps.

You will find that most imported musical instruments have a serial # that was applied by the importer. It's not uncommon to find an
imported instrument with just a model# and no serial#.
Starting in the 50's many accordions imported here from Italy were shipped here well packaged but without cases. The cases were then
procured here from US firms with in some cases the importers logo.
Your case was made in NY, NEW YORK. Many brands such as Titano, Excelsior, Sano, & Guilietti to name a few used this practice.

The Button Box sold an SS5 back around 2001 for $1200. I remember, because it's the first accordion I ever played that made me think "wow, this is a beautiful bass tone." SS5's have been showing up on eBay lately - one went for $410, another around $650, and a few more reasonably priced (in my opinion) at $750. I agree with Jim that it's worth more, especially in such good condition. I've never seen a small or reduced key width SS5.

The Button Box sold an SS5 back around 2001 for $1200. I remember, because it's the first accordion I ever played that made me think "wow, this is a beautiful bass tone." SS5's have been showing up on eBay lately - one went for $410, another around $650, and a few more reasonably priced (in my opinion) at $750. I agree with Jim that it's worth more, especially in such good condition. I've never seen a small or reduced key width SS5.
It is a very nice accordion and is now sold, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back