• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Short reed waxing demoπŸ™‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the best tutorial: the proper way is to first put a bit of wax on the bottom side and press the reed plate in. Then wax the top so the reed plate is already held firmly in place. And only then you poor wax in between the reed plates. Also, he uses about twice the amount of wax that is needed, which is also about twice the amount of wax used for the other reeds (in the factory).
Of course maybe I'm biased as I learned how to do it the Italian way...

Sorry I know that is in Portuguese. But this guy Paulo Danker is a 3rd generation repairman. I think he made his own tools.
I think the demonstration of the waxing is valid.
He says that when start smoking is the ideal temperature.
And also when you find a little Crack in the wood put a little bit of not so hot wax in the Crack to seal it. After apply the normal temperature wax over it.

Tiago,
Thanks for sharing this great clip.
Once again, it shows the skill is in the hands of the operator, not in the sophistication of the tools!
If you can't buy it, make it!
Necessity is the mother of invention.
So much for the temperature regulated wax pot!πŸ˜†
Adapt and adopt is the way!πŸ™‚πŸ‘
Not speaking Portuguese, I didn't get where he sources his wax, or does he blend it himself and in what proportions ?πŸ€”

Last edited:
Sorry I know that is in Portuguese. But this guy Paulo Danker is a 3rd generation repairman. I think he made his own tools.
I think the demonstration of the waxing is valid.
He says that when start smoking is the ideal temperature.
And also when you find a little Crack in the wood put a little bit of not so hot wax in the Crack to seal it. After apply the normal temperature wax over it.
This is good advice, but I have two small comments:
1) The fourth reed plate he puts on is too far over to the right. The position needs to be exact, and too far to the right may cause the inner valve to touch the side wall.
2) Melting additional wax in the spoon causes a sudden drop in temperature. It's better to use a wax pot.

Tiago,
Thanks for sharing this great clip.
Once again, it shows the skill is in the hands of the operator, not in the sophistication of the tools!
If you can't buy it, make it!
Necessity is the mother of invention.
So much for the temperature regulated wax pot!πŸ˜†
Adapt and adopt is the way!πŸ™‚πŸ‘
Not speaking Portuguese, I didn't get where he sources his wax, or does he blend it himself and in what proportions ?πŸ€”
There is another vΓ­deo where he teaches how to filter and recicle wax. That he talks about the proportion of bee wax for make new accordion wax by yourself.. I will watch again and after I tell you...

This is good advice, but I have two small comments:
1) The fourth reed plate he puts on is too far over to the right. The position needs to be exact, and too far to the right may cause the inner valve to touch the side wall.
2) Melting additional wax in the spoon causes a sudden drop in temperature. It's better to use a wax pot.
Nothing like a clinical eye πŸ‘. I didn't saw his positioning mistake.

The vΓ­deo that I mentioned earlier.
The proportions he mentions: you take the total bee wax and multiply by 0.3 of rosin.
His example 325g of bee wax mixed with 100gs of rosin, rounded from 97.5g.
In the last minute of the video he demonstrated how the silicone tray, made the process more simple.
And he claims that he already opened accordions that his father repaired with the same wax proportions 50 years ago, and the wax is still holding.

The bees wax is a no-brainer, but what is the specification on the rosin? Is it pine tree derived or ?

Also, smoke = volatiles loss. The volatiles cooking off are the smoke you see. A lower temp would be better (IMHO).

The bees wax is a no-brainer, but what is the specification on the rosin? Is it pine tree derived or ?

Also, smoke = volatiles loss. The volatiles cooking off are the smoke you see. A lower temp would be better (IMHO).
Yeah the one also called colophony, from pine trees. He also adds a very little cup maybe 5ml of a vegetal Oil almost in the end of the process. And says you have to stir non stop to avoid burning the wax .

Last edited:
Of course, when mixing the wax and resin, he could have used a water bath with the wax container sitting in it and no burning problem whatever πŸ€”.
Ah, well...

Last edited:
I would bet he runs of the water, because accordions are not very water friendly... an accident with the bellows or the reeds wouldn't be nice..... in another vΓ­deo he says he doesn't consider the Italian tuning method with the mouth to be right, because the humidity in our breathing would favour rusty to the reeds....

While I would never attempt to adjust a reed with a dremel type tool, I would not dare to try to sculpt wood witha chainsaw, either - but some individuals manage to do so with remarkable results.
Horses for courses, and tools which suit the needs of the Masters, I guess.

It's not my music shop, btw. 🀫

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back