• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

A Short History of Scottish Country Dancing

Walker

πŸͺ—
Reaction score
The accordion is one of the main instruments in Scottish Ceilidh Dance and Scottish Country Dance music. There are really four types of Scottish Dance when we also include Step Dance and Highland Dance.

Here's a fantastic video giving the low-down on Scottish Country Dance...

The accordion is one of the main instruments in Scottish Ceilidh Dance and Scottish Country Dance music. There are really four types of Scottish Dance when we also include Step Dance and Highland Dance.

Do you have one in English?

Do you have one in English?
The narrator is the late, great Dr Robbie Shepherd MBE (1936 to 2023), who was a broadcaster and author. Amongst other things he was a presenter of BBC Scotland's Take The Floor programme for around 36 years (the show first started nearly a century ago). He was from Dunecht in Aberdeenshire. Robbie Shepherd was certainly speaking in English on the video above, though perhaps it might require a little effort for non-Scots to "tune in" to the North East of Scotland accent.​

I played a few SCD ceilis shortly before the pandemic with a group formed for that purpose. I must say that specific dance form did not appeal to me in any respect. But Scottish tunes are Scottish tunes, and the music part was fun. It was evident the dance form takes strength, conditioning and balance to do well, as with ballet. I just found it aesthetically cloying. Cape Breton is more my style for enjoying a dance form. Strictly subjective, of course.

Last edited:

Great video Mr Walker - takes me back to my school days in Edinburgh when such dancing was a compulsory subject, along with rugby of course. I think we occasionally got the two mixed up and serious bruises could result from either!
It was evident the dance form takes strength, conditioning and balance to do well, as with ballet. I just found it aesthetically cloying. Cape Breton is more my style for enjoying a dance form
The "aesthetic" certainly as I encountered it is that the pleasure was in everyone being able to join in of all ages and abilities - hence it brings people together and weddings and parties. Kinda the opposite of ballet which you watch from afar!

As I hope was plain, my comment about ballet referred only to the strength and skill it calls for to do SCD proficiently. There's toe-pointing. There's pirouetting. There's balancing on tiptoe. Those who do it well have conditioning akin to ballet in a way distinct from the conditioning called for by regular ceili sets or American square-dance or contra dance, or the riotous group dancing at a Cape Breton Saturday night ceili. SCD is more stately and controlled, and uses different muscles. Ballet muscles, to more of a degree. "Anyone can join in" with any of these, if they want to learn the form. This form wasn't for me, though I enjoy playing the music.

takes me back to my school days in Edinburgh when such dancing was a compulsory subject, along with rugby of course. I think we occasionally got the two mixed up and serious bruises could result from either!​
Indeed. :) We had to learn the dances in school too. There's been many a time a Dashing White Sergeant ended up looking like a scrum.
I played a few SCD ceilis shortly before the pandemic with a group formed for that purpose. I must say that specific dance form did not appeal to me in any respect. But Scottish tunes are Scottish tunes, and the music part was fun. It was evident the dance form takes strength, conditioning and balance to do well, as with ballet.​
You are indeed entitled to your opinion.

I have taken Country Dance lessons in the past and found it to be wonderful, whirling fun. It was mentally and physically demanding and very refined (at least it was meant to be). I have also played the accordion (with my dance band) for many local Scottish Country Dances and it requires great discipline to play the dance music well. I found there is little margin for error in playing at the correct tempo, the right number of bars and ideally starting with the "original" tune. However, the dancers were always appreciative of the efforts.
As I hope was plain, my comment about ballet referred only to the strength and skill it calls for to do SCD proficiently. There's toe-pointing. There's pirouetting. There's balancing on tiptoe. Those who do it well have conditioning akin to ballet in a way distinct from the conditioning called for by regular ceili sets or American square-dance or contra dance, or the riotous group dancing at a Cape Breton Saturday night ceili. SCD is more stately and controlled, and uses different muscles.​

I understand OB. I should explain for those who don't know, that in the strictest sense there is a difference between Scottish Ceilidh Dancing and Scottish Country Dancing.

Scottish Country Dance
In simple terms a Scottish Country Dance involves (mostly but not exclusively) Jigs, Reels & Strathspeys in sets of multiple couples. The tempo is fairly restrained and the technique is refined. There have been hundreds of different SCD dances devised over the years.

Scottish Ceilidh Dance
Ceilidh dancing tends to be more informal. There are many couple dances (Gay Gordons, Canadian Barn Dance, Military Two Step etc) as well as selections of Scottish Country Dances (in sets) like Strip the Willow etc. Therefore the Ceilidh dances will include Marches (2/4, 4/4 & 6/8), Waltzes, Two Steps, Jigs, Reels, Schottisches, Polkas etc. Dances are usually played/danced faster than Country Dances. There doesn't tend to be any Strathspeys at a ceilidh. Ceilidh dancing is what would usually occur at a wedding or party etc. It is very inclusive and great fun for all levels of ability.
I just found it aesthetically cloying.​
You are not the first person to feel this way about Scottish Country Dance.

It is quite common for many Scots to say similar things about SCD and all the paraphernalia. However, I prefer to see the unbridled joy that the Scottish dance and it's music brings to so many people - it's humbling at times to behold.

Now I personally love the Scottish Country Dance vibe. Sure it does present an idealised vision of Scottishness that is from another time and perspective. To be fair we probably have Queen Victoria to thank for packaging and popularising much of this Highland ideal. I think she did a rather sterling job with the whole thing! :)

You know, I was looking at a tune by the legendary James Scott Skinner the other day. It was a pastoral air called Our Highland Queen written especially for Queen Victoria. I was studying the old manuscript on the Aberdeen University archive and I read a note at the top of the piece and it said:

"The blue bell may forget to spring, The cold cease to blow; But Deeside men can ne'er forget the loyalty they owe".

Perhaps it highlights the sentiment of those times.​

Here's the Strip the Willow played in Country Dance Style (not the @saundersbp school ceilidh version)...

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the video exemplifies the fiddle and yet the sound track is accordion throughout. Also I had some fear based on previous comments that I'd hear some sort of Scottish Gaelic or Scots, but indeed it was plain English with the kind of coloring that would not faze someone acquainted with German and/or bits of Middle English. Or someone from the UK and acquainted with its breadth of variation across the English language.

The accordion is one of the main instruments in Scottish Ceilidh Dance and Scottish Country Dance music.

I have fond memories attending a wedding in Jedburgh. The whisky flowed freely and despite being awful at dancing, I had a wonderful evening dancing. A dance that sticks in my mind there were about 15 couples lined up with men one side, women the other, one couple at a time sped down the middle then back up again. Quite what everyone else was doing at the time is lost in the sands of time.

I have fond memories attending a wedding in Jedburgh. The whisky flowed freely and despite being awful at dancing, I had a wonderful evening dancing. A dance that sticks in my mind there were about 15 couples lined up with men one side, women the other, one couple at a time sped down the middle then back up again. Quite what everyone else was doing at the time is lost in the sands of time.
I remember that at some institute Xmas celebration people wanted to do some kind of dance and I milked my mother (who hails from Indiana) for line dance figures. So from what she remembered (and what I put together from her remembrance) we trained a group of dancers on a routine and trained a caller on calling the figures. I was one of the two fiddlers for the Virginia reel, and we also had an accordion player (piano accordion). That was way before the time when I took up accordion myself. It was likely very colorful and semi-authentic for the German audience and would have turned the stomach of someone from either U.S., Scotland or Ireland.

I am pretty sure the whisky did not flow freely but there was no other shortage of food and drink. And it was quite the party.

The second of the videos posted by OuijaBoard above illustrates one of the aspects of folk/country/ceilidh which brings joy to me - their inclusiveness.
All different ages, shapes and sizes - as well as ethnicities from well East of the Euphrates.
I'm located far from Perth - both the one in Western Australia and that lovely city in Scotland - as well as being far from fit enough to take to the floor, but that video revived memories of happy times long past.

one of the aspects of folk/country/ceilidh which brings joy to me - their inclusiveness.
I think the inclusiveness of traditional Scottish Dance and music is one of it's defining characteristics. It goes beyond the norm. Not only can it be the music of the rural places and the music of those in the urban areas too, but it goes further still. Scottish dance music historically makes no class distinctions either. It was embraced by all - the music of the shepherd or the music of King and Queen. It's been like that for centuries and I think that's a fairly unusual quality to have.​

Yes, in Cape Breton they wouldn't hear of me sitting on the sidelines at the weekly ceili, I was dragged in despite total cluelessness. The US contra dance and oldtime dance communities are the same--no lack of Scots-Irish DNA there, of course.

Throughout our lives we are exposed to different parts of the world, and there is a plethora of beauty and charm, but some places, for whatever reasons, stand out a bit more than others. For me, Scotland has been one of those places that I know that I need to visit in my lifetime. Just watching those kinds of videos and of course communicating with people like Stewart, who shares generously of his heritage are good incentives to visit that part of the world. After retiring, I see travelling a bit in my future! :)

Throughout our lives we are exposed to different parts of the world, and there is a plethora of beauty and charm, but some places, for whatever reasons, stand out a bit more than others. For me, Scotland has been one of those places that I know that I need to visit in my lifetime. Just watching those kinds of videos and of course communicating with people like Stewart, who shares generously of his heritage are good incentives to visit that part of the world. After retiring, I see travelling a bit in my future! :)

I was yearning to manage a trip last year that would include the fab "Tartan" exhibit at the V&A branch in Dundee, but couldn't swing it.

Hoping one of the Shetland traditional music festivals is in my future one year--the Shetland Accordion & Fiddle festival as well as the Shetland Folk Festival sound grand.

Last edited:
Well Jerry and OB I think it would be equally great to visit Canada and America. There are so many famous musical heartlands in both countries where I could learn the subtleties of different styles of music. Maybe one day I'll make it to the cultural hotspots of Cape Breton traditional, country music, jazz, old time, cajun, etc. The list could go on...

I guess this little thread has had a nice wee run in the last day. I don't want to make folk feel "scunnered" by overdoing it with the SCD music. However, maybe I'll finish with a couple of recordings from an acknowledged expert in the performance of Scottish Country Dance music on the accordion.

This style presented below is what would be considered traditional and orthodox in the SCD scene.

The performer is Colin Dewar.

The first recording is him playing a couple of tunes by himself - in this case a march followed by a pipe reel.

The pertinent points to note are;

The steady and controlled tempi.
The strong musette tuning on a double cassotto accordion giving a powerful tonal projection.
The steady, rhythmic accompaniment on the bass of the accordion - always leading with the bass, the melody sits on top of the rhythmic "vamp".

Such technique has been standard in SCD accordion playing for many decades. It is a bass/chord style that would be in contrast to accordion scene in other traditions, like the traditional music in Irish sessions.

Finally, the accordion within a small dance band setting. This is "strict tempo" dance music with sheer chronometric precision.

Good point about PA basses and those wide-tuned musettes in the specific SCD idiom--at least the classic old-school sound still very much in currency in some quarters. Same with the classic "Scottish ceilidh" PA or Shand sound. Very different from other paradigms in Scottish and Irish traditional folk--Phil Cunningham is not forgoing audible basswork here because he doesn't know how to play them. It's a different context and a different approach:

OTOH, with Cape Breton Scottish dance music an accordion is almost never part of the mix--it's all about piano, often very foregrounded and even jazzy and improvisional.

I do recall when playing for SCD gatherings there were very specific instructions unique to the dance forms in that genre, about how repeats were done and counting measures and things like that. I could never get it into my head and had to write it onto the music. SCD has a big competition/exhibition component, and some of the callers and dancers take it very seriously--one does want to do justice when called upon!

Last edited:
Ha, I was trolling for YT samples of the first tune title in this set for ear-learning and this was one of the first items that came up . . . these folks and the dance are very much along the lines of the SCD folks I played for . . .

Only thing is, the "Hamish Henderson's Refusal" I'm learning is nowhere in this SCD clip, ha-ha! The one I'm doing comes second in this set by the fiddler who composed it, at about 1:33:

Just to really stray far afield, here is a cool mini-doc on Hamish Henderson, who I knew nothing about until encountering the tune:

Back