• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Shellac adhesive for reed valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I hadn't found a video reference for making and using shellac/DN alcohol until I stumbled across this. It's for saxophones, but I figured it roughly applies to afixing accordion leathers to reed plates, which I'm about to do.
SHELLAC GLUE

Make it easy for yourself ---

Have had it in the shop for years. I do however use Fabri-Tac these days.

The problem with shellac is that it becomes very solid, almost brittle, over decades, and as a result valves may suddenly fall off. You want a glue that stays a bit elastic even after decades. My first repair teacher told me to use a shoe glue. I initially got that in bulk (from a shoe repair store that would sell it in bulk to an accordion repairer - "bring your own jar") but it was a bit cumbersome: it required rather frequent thinning (with paint thinner). I now use Pattex shoe glue, which I find works better than the regular Pattex (or Bostik) as used a lot in accordion repair.

There are a number of options, each with its own proponents, here:

I've just tried Bostik Contact Adhesive because that's what CGM Musical suggests when you buy plastic valves from them.
I've had about 6 fall off during tuning so I'm going back to Fabri-Tac after this job which never had any drop offs.
Or maybe it's rough handling during tuning.

The Fabri-Tac's ability to stay resilient after drying is it's forte. It's varied uses make it a must for stocking it in shop.

since i was a piston head as a teen, i just used this when i fixed my
accordion valve leathers... an old and reliable product

Didn't mean to stir the controversy of adhesives. I'm not planning on using shellac to re-valve, but had sought a video reference on this old method for a while now. It clearly showed the viscosity, etc needed to make the shellac adhesive solution and was part of a saxophone repairist's methods. Seemed valuable in this fine repository of info. Best to all of you.

Didn't mean to stir the controversy of adhesives. I'm not planning on using shellac to re-valve, but had sought a video reference on this old method for a while now. It clearly showed the viscosity, etc needed to make the shellac adhesive solution and was part of a saxophone repairist's methods. Seemed valuable in this fine repository of info. Best to all of you.
From the materials (glues) from the era when shellac was used it was likely the best available glue for valves. Sadly especially smaller valves did not stay put very well after say 50 years. We hope that we now have better glue but it takes 50 years to know whether today's glue is really better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back