• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Velcro adhesive and celluloid

Wheezer

Reaction score
Can anybody relate their experience using adhesive backed velcro on celluloid? As I mentioned in another post, I am looking to attach a backpad, but I don’t want to find out the hard way if the adhesive damages the celluloid.

Once installed, I would rarely, if ever, remove the backpad.

The adhesive backed velcro; the thin adhesive layer type wasn't robust enough to put up with removals and reattachments; might be OK for a static installation. The thick adhesive layer type ("extra strong sticks to rough surfaces") was better but the adhesive turned to goo after a few months. It too tended to peel up at the edges when removed and reattached though for a stay in place installation it would probably be fine.

Attaching the velcro to the pad depends on the pad surface- as an example neither adhesive strip sticks particularly well to velour- but you could easily use contact cement there without (at least for me) worrying about marring the pad- just not an issue for me on the backside and with care it can be quite neat.

In no case did the velcro advesive backing mar any of my instruments- any residual aldhesive after removal came up with a papertowel dampened with WD-40 or citrus cleaner.

If you are only going to remove the backpad on rare occasions if ever, the thick stuff is probably the best. At worst you just clean up after the gooey one and restick another piece where it was- the pad piece should still be fine.

The backside of the accordions themselves has a pretty decent range of materials- from wood where a screw and snap work just fine, to fiberboard where sometimes the screw can go into wood beneath and sometimes it is only in the fiberboard and pulls the shap off when removed, to celluloid over aluminum which can work but feels pretty close to vandalism if you're not very precise and careful.

Back