• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

shellac

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jurkbox73

hello there,
I have been looking for shellac to stick reed leathers down so I searched online and I got ladies nail varnish come up I don't suppose that would do the job comments please. :)

You may also be able to get shellac as a woodworking supply item. In that case, classically, it's dry flakes, which you can heat up to make I suppose what may have been the original hot glue. I've used it to install saxophone pads, where shellac is the standard adhesive.

There are liquid shellac products for wood finishing, but they're rumored to be somewhat unreliable, maybe not stable on the shelf? and anyway, there I expect the shellac will be dissolved in a lot of ethyl alcohol and too thin for your purposes.

You can get Shellac from http://www.shellac.net or from Amazon.com who supply Liberon products . Either will supply shellac buttons (usually in various colours)... these can be melted with alcohol ( or heat) to form a finish or a glue.

The Permatex Gasket Shellac is available at all auto stores in the US, such as Autozone, OReilly's, etc. That' where I got mine. Why Amazon is selling it from the UK ( no offense ) is beyond me. The freight from the UK versus going down to your local auto store is quite different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back