• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Scandalli super 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinm

Reaction score
Anyone had one of these or know anything about their quality.
I am told it is a version from about the 1970,s.

Attachments

• 7CDBF5AE-09DD-4C43-BF1C-55A476CB5E11.jpeg
    7CDBF5AE-09DD-4C43-BF1C-55A476CB5E11.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 58
I'm fairly sure it's regularly mentioned as (one of) the best accordions ever made, but depends on exact model and date.

From https://www.accordionists.info/archive/index.php?thread-1218.html

All Scandalli Super VI are excelent instruments, but when you read "the legendary super VI" " probably the best accordion in the world" "better then Gola" they are metioning the Super VI N series from 1960's. This one had "something extra" that differentiate it from all other accordions; They are rare and expensive.

I'm sure somebody who know's what they're talking about will be along soon though :)

Glug,
Yes, this is not one of the best, but to me, on youtube, it sounds just as good, so i just wondered why it was not considered as one of the best, is it tone, or response or playability or weight or what?

The one you show I recognize from an on-line ad by a guy in Turnhout, Belgium.
This should be a nice accordion and may be worth checking out if you can go there to try it.

debra said:
This should be a nice accordion and may be worth checking out if you can go there to try it.

Yes it was, can,t find it now, probably sold. But they do sometimes crop up, and i just wondered why they were considered to be inferior.

colinm said:
debra said:

Yes it was, can,t find it now, probably sold. But they do sometimes crop up, and i just wondered why they were considered to be inferior.

They are fine instruments. As always, caveat emptor. High end instruments that suddenly appear on on-line buy/sell platforms, often offered by new users of these platforms, are often a fraud. Pictures from on-line offers are often copied by criminals who then offer the same instrument for sale on other platforms... Unless the seller has existed for quite some time, has not been mentioned for fraud anywhere, offers good conditions and sticks by them (like PayPal, and does not suddenly say there is a problem with his PayPal and would you please do some shady bank transfer), offers local inspection and pickup, etc., etc.,... I'd always be wary of on-line deals that seem too good to be true.

I forgot it was on facebook, Thanks.
I have messaged him twice 2 weeks ago and no reply, that seemed a bit strange

Would love to play this, even though it’s way over my pay grade. The description is pretty interesting. Guenadiy describes this Bell’s relationship to the Scandalli Super SixN. When I was buying an accordion from him, I said the Bell was the one on his site that made me drool. He said, “You don’t want the Bell. You’re paying too much for the name, just like the Gola.”
https://www.accordiongallery.com/bell-4511-N384-970.htm

Eddy Yates said:
Would love to play this, even though it’s way over my pay grade. The description is pretty interesting. Guenadiy describes this Bell’s relationship to the Scandalli Super SixN. When I was buying an accordion from him, I said the Bell was the one on his site that made me drool. He said, “You don’t want the Bell. You’re paying too much for the name, just like the Gola.”
https://www.accordiongallery.com/bell-4511-N384-970.htm

And Guenadly was right: when you open up such a legendary accordion (my experience is mostly with the Gola) there is nothing inside that really sets them apart from other top quality accordions to warrant the hefty price tag. Owners of a Hohner Gola of course will say otherwise... but really, a Gola from before or around 1960 was different but later Gola accordions are virtually identical to other high quality Italian accordions. So why would these few special names warrant a 50% higher price tag? (With Hohner the situation is a bit different than with many Italian accordions: Hohner put lesser quality reeds (tipo a mano, not a mano) in the Morino to attract more customers with thick wallets to the Gola. But many Italian companies also put a mano reeds in accordions that were not their absolute top of the line.

And Guenadly was right: when you open up such a legendary accordion (my experience is mostly with the Gola) there is nothing inside that really sets them apart from other top quality accordions to warrant the hefty price tag. Owners of a Hohner Gola of course will say otherwise... but really, a Gola from before or around 1960 was different but later Gola accordions are virtually identical to other high quality Italian accordions. So why would these few special names warrant a 50% higher price tag? (With Hohner the situation is a bit different than with many Italian accordions: Hohner put lesser quality reeds (tipo a mano, not a mano) in the Morino to attract more customers with thick wallets to the Gola. But many Italian companies also put a mano reeds in accordions that were not their absolute top of the line.

1609009320558.png
I'm the proud, and privileged, owner of this beautiful Super V1N, from around 1961... Serial number 384/969. It was custom built for a noted English accordionist, and I'd be interested to know if anyone here has seen a Super V1 with treble mutes..? I've never seen one...in addition, the grille is distinctive, made to house the controls for its original factory-fitted microphones.

While not a technician, I've played for almost 50 years, and was involved in the wholesale/retail accordion business for a number of years...I've had many, many accordions on my knee, from cheap Chinese beginner models to the top professional instruments...Gola, Dallape, Settimio Soprani, Guerrini/Sonola, Excelsior,etc...I may well be a tad prejudiced, but I genuinely consider the V1N to be absolutely the best I ever played. Friends who are learned in such matters have individually remarked on the superb finish in construction, inside and out, and every one of my playing friends...some of them very well known and respected in our own wee field...have commented on the smooth, virtually silent, keyboard and pallet action...

Sadly, Scandalli don't have any records from that period, so I'd be delighted for all/any relevant information which any member could point me in the direction of...?

Many thanks for taking the trouble to read thus far...

Last edited:
You are truly fortunate to own this one. Made in the early 60's with choice woods and the quality of workmanship to rival many
accordion brands made today. Made by Scandalli when Scandalli was still Scandalli and before being absorbed in the 70's.
Since the 70's (as with many brands) quality of materials has declined' A Rip Off be seen by the first picture of this post showing
a supposed 70's model that uses a plastic body first used for Farfisa accordion /organ models and injected plastic body parts &
white plastic keys in lieu of wooden body parts.
The sound & playability of an early 60's model compared to models after the 70's is like comparing
night & day.
There is also Rip Offs out there that can be distinguished from a real Super VI as the Rip Offs have pure white keyboards.
Real Super VI's were and are only made with cream colored keyboards & buttons.

Last edited:
1609009320558.png
I'm the proud, and privileged, owner of this beautiful Super V1N, from around 1961... Serial number 384/969. It was custom built for a noted English accordionist, and I'd be interested to know if anyone here has seen a Super V1 with treble mutes..? I've never seen one...in addition, the grille is distinctive, made to house the controls for its original factory-fitted microphones.

While not a technician, I've played for almost 50 years, and was involved in the wholesale/retail accordion business for a number of years...I've had many, many accordions on my knee, from cheap Chinese beginner models to the top professional instruments...Gola, Dallape, Settimio Soprani, Guerrini/Sonola, Excelsior,etc...I may well be a tad prejudiced, but I genuinely consider the V1N to be the absolutely the best I ever played. friends who are learned in such matters have individually remarked on the superb finish in construction, inside and out, and every one of my playing friends...some of them very well known and respected in our own wee field...have commented on the smooth, virtually silent, keyboard and pallet action...

Sadly, Scandalli don't have any records from that period, so I'd be delighted for all/any relevant information which any member could point me in the direction of...?

Many thanks for taking the trouble to read thus far...
Rhythmbox,
Beautiful instrument, is there a story about how you came across it, or have you had it for years.

Congrats Rhythmbox! Time to open up the accordion and check inside whether it's truly the gem you hope to have there.
The 1960's Scandalli Super VI is probably the best accordion ever made. Later accordions may look the same, but these old Scandalli's (and Bell and Gola) only used the best materials, and the difference is in the materials. To see whether yours is "the real deal" check out whether it has the original reeds. Some repairers have tried to persuade owners that to truly return their instrument to "new" condition the reeds should be replaced by new ones. What they were actually doing was trying to steal the old reeds of a quality and sound never recreated by newer reeds.
I believe the Super VI should have Taborrov reeds in it and at least one reed (typically a bass reed) should have that engraved in it.
A friend of mine who always plays a modern Gola one time turned up with a Scandalli Super VI which I did not know she owned (and has owned for over 5 decades). She didn't say anything about it, but once she started playing something I immediately knew this was one of the legendary ones. Sadly there are many many more (newer or butchered old) Super VI accordions that do not live up to the reputation of the original ones.

You are truly fortunate to own this one. Made in the early 60's with choice woods and the quality of workmanship to rival many
accordion brands made today. Made by Scandalli when Scandalli was still Scandalli and before being absorbed in the 70's.
Since the 70's (as with many brands) quality of materials has declined' A Rip Off be seen by the first picture of this post showing
a supposed 70's model that uses a plastic body first used for Farfisa accordion /organ models and injected plastic body parts &
white plastic keys in lieu of wooden body parts.
The sound & playability of an early 60's model compared to models after the 70's is like comparing
night & day.
There is also Rip Offs out there that can be distinguished from a real Super VI as the Rip Offs have pure white keyboards.
Real Super VI's were and are only made with cream colored keyboards & buttons.
Many thanks, Jim D...I agree wholeheartedly, I was in the business at the time of the Transivox, Super Transivox, Syntaccordion,etc., when the plastic shells were used for the Polyfonico and Super 1V and V1 models, which were a travesty, unbalanced bodywise, and with cheaper quality reeds and materials generally (although in fact the Super Transivox, to be fair, had a decent cassotto).

I'm positive that the new Scandallis are made to the best of the owners' ability and resources, and I certainly respect the integrity of their President, Mirco Patarini, who has been involved with the company for many years...but simple business logistics dictate that to try and come close to the quality of the "legendary" V1N would price it out of commercial sustainability.

I've seen a lightly used, *as new, Gola 414 advertised for around £36000.00, and it's rumoured that a new 414 would set a buyer back in the region of £50000.00... In my time, I've played quite a few Golas, and others...and if I were forced to value, personal circumstances aside and hand on heart, I'd have to say I'd take my Scandalli any day. My only regret is that nowadays my finger issues prevent me from playing many of the more intricate pieces she deserves...I love it when a top player lets her sing! (To that end, a brilliant player friend asked if he could borrow her for a few tracks on his cd "Around the World with You" by Leonard Brown...) If you'd like a copy, please get in touch with me on rhythmboxplayer@btinternet.com...I'm sure you'd enjoy it. You can listen to tracks at https://leonardbrownaccordion.co.uk/album/1575413/around-the-world-with-you
Thanks again!

Congrats Rhythmbox! Time to open up the accordion and check inside whether it's truly the gem you hope to have there.
The 1960's Scandalli Super VI is probably the best accordion ever made. Later accordions may look the same, but these old Scandalli's (and Bell and Gola) only used the best materials, and the difference is in the materials. To see whether yours is "the real deal" check out whether it has the original reeds. Some repairers have tried to persuade owners that to truly return their instrument to "new" condition the reeds should be replaced by new ones. What they were actually doing was trying to steal the old reeds of a quality and sound never recreated by newer reeds.
I believe the Super VI should have Taborrov reeds in it and at least one reed (typically a bass reed) should have that engraved in it.
A friend of mine who always plays a modern Gola one time turned up with a Scandalli Super VI which I did not know she owned (and has owned for over 5 decades). She didn't say anything about it, but once she started playing something I immediately knew this was one of the legendary ones. Sadly there are many many more (newer or butchered old) Super VI accordions that do not live up to the reputation of the original ones.
Hi Paul...many thanks for your helpful reply! I actually acquired my V1N on July 1st, 2016 from the lead player in the original owner's orchestra, so I'm the third proud owner...! She tells me (and I believe her) that the only work done while in her possession was fitting new shoulder and bellows straps and backpad...I had a good friend and repairer check her out for me...he removed a shitload of dust and 60 years' worth of fluff, etc, and advised that other than that everything seems original...he repaired a crack inside which he says she probably wouldn't have been aware of, so all good...I must check about the Taborrov reeds, though...thanks, I'll let you know! I have some other thoughts in my reply to Jim D above, and the same invitation extends to yourself about the cd if it's of interest... Cheers!

Rhythmbox,
Beautiful instrument, is there a story about how you came across it, or have you had it for years.
Hi colinm...thank you!
There is a wee story...in January 2016, I was browsing the Accordion for Sale FB site, when up popped a new entry with the photo above, which immediately hooked me. The icing on the cake was it's a V1N...the last, and arguably best, of the vintage models. The advertiser was selling on behalf of his mother (more details in my reply to debra) and it transpired that, through my time in the accordion business,I knew and respected the original owner. I congratulated the advertiser, told him I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I had the cash and wished him well. I watched over the next few months as he rejected various offers (some of them frankly laughable, and thankfully he knew it). I'd always coveted the Super V1 models and the Artist V1, having been in the trade, but never thought I'd be able to afford one, or at least justify spending that amount on myself personally. One morning, I was again checking out the site, and saw it was still available, and the advertiser was sticking to his guns, with a preferred price and a bottom bid start, which was still way out of my budget.

Would you believe, at that very moment my wife brought the mail to me, including the dreaded brown envelope from the Tax Office...I had taken early retirement 15 months earlier, but had only officially reached my State retirement a couple of weeks before. don't know if you're in the UK, or if you remember that in the 80's the received wisdom with pensions was to "opt out" and run a parallel scheme...which was reversed again a few years letter..?? I had forgotten, and thought all my tax matters had been finalised the previous year. So when I opened the brown envelope, the last thing I expected to see was, not a demand for unpaid tax, but instead a cheque for a substantial sum in respect of this out of SERPS scheme... I turned to my wife and said..."I think I may just have a home for this!"

To cut a longer story short, I contacted the advertiser and came to an arrangement somewhere between his preferred prices, subject to his mother's agreement and obviously satisfactory inspection, etc... The rest is history, and my two tails have never stopped wagging since!

Thanks again for your interest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back