• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Scandalli super 6

Even so, that's better than placing a coupler switch marked LMH on an LMM accordion!πŸ˜„
Actually, back in the 60's and 70's (and likely before as well) the dots were used more as decoration than as a real indicator for the reeds engaged by a register. My old Crucianelli Super Video is LMMM but the switches are marked as if it were LMMH, so "musette" is MMM but the dots show MMH, and the master shows LMMH instead of LMMM as well... It just looks nicer... so that's what they did.

I guess I am beating a dead horse, but you can see on the metal plate on the back of the accordion this is a Super VI L. I don't know exactly how these models differ from just Super VI, but they (Super VI L) are always priced below Super VIs.

Ah, the Super VI...

Scandalli has been around since the late Victorian era, and like any organisation with nearly 125 years of history in doing one main activity (building accordions) there were highs and lows. Over the years there were various transitions from the original proprietor to other companies like FARFISA in 1946 that ceased in 1984, followed by the Comus-Bontempi period, later the Menghini group (with SEM, and Paolo Soprani). Scandalli is now just Scandalli - on its own, doing its thing.

So the 1950s and 1960s were a great highlight for Scandalli with the Super VI, especially the M and N series. However, many variations on the theme were developed in the decades that followed. Some accordions were less desirable than others. I have been fortunate to have played a Super VI circa 1960 and know first-hand how special they were. However, I have also played many Scandalli Super VI models from between 2008 to present, including the Super VI Extreme. The Super VI models from the last 15 years are excellent accordions that can sit next to any other high-end new instrument. However, as Scandalli is one of the largest producers of accordions in Castelfidardo (apparently they are very big in South America), it's no surprise to me that they are back in the groove of building fine accordions.

However, nowadays I feel there is a change in focus.... While the current Super VI model is still better than most other standard bass accordions, it can no longer really be considered the peak of the Scandalli production line. Given that, along with Pigini and Bugari, Scandalli is one of the best makers of free bass accordions in the world, it's no surprise that its top converter models are very impressive instruments and some cost nearly 4x more than a new Super VI.

When the likes of Pietro Roffi chooses Scandalli there's usually very sound musical reasons for it.​

Last edited:
well they have not even bothered to open it up, obviously, or they would know
it is not a 5 reed treble

and then personally it always puts me off the sellers who shout
"double cassotto"
which is like saying my Wife is double breasted
(can it be any more obvious.. feat: Avril)

so you had better look at it first in person for sure
Thanks Ventura, I always value your comments most highly.

ty

i don't want to sound too harsh about those salespeople, but if YOU were
selling a Super Vl or any great accordion i am sure
you could find a TON of awesome things to describe
and boast and feature about it besides the obvious !

hope you find one someday.. i am sure you would love it..
and when you squeeze one of the "Originals" you just
know it.. there is that moment of "oh My" hits your brain
and you just smile and keep playing

the hard part when you find a legend is still saying
"would you take a few hundred off of the price?"
because you feel like you are stealing it at the asking price anyway
but Momma taught us to always get a discount if we could

the ebay site allows us to right click the photo's (open in new tab) then blow them up

so the problem is, why are the shifts only showing LMMH combinations..
i personally don't understand this mis-match..
but there are a lot of things i don't know

you can definitely see there are 2 reedblocks in chamber if you blow up the pic
and look far right, you can see the 2 hold-down sliders
and clearly there are 3 reedblocks out of chamber

the ebay site allows us to right click the photo's (open in new tab) then blow them up

so the problem is, why are the shifts only showing LMMH combinations..
i personally don't understand this mis-match..
but there are a lot of things i don't know

you can definitely see there are 2 reedblocks in chamber if you blow up the pic
and look far right, you can see the 2 hold-down sliders
and clearly there are 3 reedblocks out of chamber
Good point about the LMMH combinations!!

if you inquire about this one, i would ask for pics under the grill too,
so you know for sure the Sordino is still there
(sometimes they get discarded over the years)
as well as seeing the condition of the valves

he says he is willing to take trades, so he is not afraid of you coming down and
seeing it playing it first, and that is a good sign

(sometimes they get discarded over the years)
as well as seeing the condition of the valves

he says he is willing to take trades, so he is not afraid of you coming down and
seeing it playing it first, and that is a good sign
Thanks Ventura.

I don’t think this model has a Sordino. The open/close switches are used to turn on/off the fifth reedblock. This is a feature found on some of the 5 reed Scandallis. Probably also the reason why there is a β€ž5β€œ on the switch. It gives you a total of 2*13=26 different register combinations (including some quite exotic ones)

Danke Schoen, bitte !

that explains it.. i had no idea.. never seen this before

did they have a standard for this too i wonder ? or is the extra 5th reedbock
L in one order, then M in another ? there isn't a word in the listing aboout
the tuning or footage.

there does appear to be one combination not available,
4 8+ 5

i would prefer it as a second L myself

Looking for a Super VI I found this one.

According to the seller itΒ΄s from 1958. So my doubt is if this one is real deal, the most wanted.

The asking price is high.
354412892_n.jpg

It's difficult to tell a lot from a single photograph...

However, what I can tell is that it's a GORGEOUS looking accordion! :D

It certainly has many of the features of the vintage Super VI - like the bellows screws, the shape of the outer edge of the keyboard, the treble coupler design and the grill design. It looks like an original Super VI to me.

However, this accordion has three particularly interesting features that makes it stand out from the standard vintage Super VI.

1. It is interesting that it says MOD. CONSERVATORIO where it would normally say Super VI. This makes me wonder if it might be a special free bass version?

2. It has 9 bass switches instead of 11 bass switches that was common on the famous M and N series Super VI.

3. It has a chin switch.

Without seeing the accordion in person it certainly looks like a special version of a Super VI. Very nice indeed. Does the serial number start with any particular letter? The first letter indiates the series. M and N are the most famous.

My guess is that this accordion might be either an early version of the M series before they added the 11 switches. Does it have a bass separator switch on the bass board near the air release valve? Or maybe it's a rare free bass version... do any of the bass switches give single notes across all 6 rows?

To be honest, you should be able to tell if its the "real deal" by playing it... after all, the M & N series Scandalli Super VI were arguably the best accordion models ever made.​

I can't believe it's as old as 1958, surely a misprint?πŸ€”πŸ™‚
Wrong grill, no waterfall keys (not that all accordions before '58 had waterfall keys but that is an indicator), I'd more say '68?

This one is a bit of a mystery. :)
Stewart hit all the pertinent points, and the most important one... PLAY it and HEAR it and learn many things within a few seconds. ;)

Whether it's 1950s or 1960s - I'm not fussy, it's lovely. :love:

As long as it's M series (late 1950s/early 1960) or N series (mid to late 1960s) it's the cat's whiskers.

I have a hunch it might be 1958 as Augusto says, for one reason, if you look at the feet of the accordion - see how they are smoothly integrated into the accordion bass casing - that's a feature of the M series. However, it would be nice to know more about the other variations in the design...

That said, I like pretty much all Scandalli's. :) The brand new Scandalli Super VI Extreme is lovely, oh and the Scandalli Air VI is awesome... not to mention the Scandalli Intense. :love:

Whether it's 1950s or 1960s - I'm not fussy, it's lovely. :love:

As long as it's M series (late 1950s/early 1960) or N series (mid to late 1960s) it's the cat's whiskers.

I have a hunch it might be 1958 as Augusto says, for one reason, if you look at the feet of the accordion - see how they are smoothly integrated into the accordion bass casing - that's a feature of the M series. However, it would be nice to know more about the other variations in the design...

That said, I like pretty much all Scandalli's. :) The brand new Scandalli Super VI Extreme is lovely, oh and the Scandalli Air VI is awesome... not to mention the Scandalli Intense. :love:
I’ve probably owned 4 or 5 Scandallis, all with a few less zeros on the right side 🀣. No Supers, but all super. The smaller red ones apparently were very popular around here back in the day, I’ve restored a few and I have one remaining. Last time I played it, it sounded better than I thought, and everyone loves the look. Maybe I’ll keep it a while.

Back