• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Scandalli super 6

Sizzzerb

Reaction score
Hello forum members,

I hope you’re all doing well. I have an accordion Scandalli and I’m looking for some information:

1. Model: Can anyone help me identify the specific model of this accordion?
2. Year of Production: I’m curious about its approximate production year.
3. Current Value: What’s the estimated market value of this accordion today?

Attachments

• IMG_5418.jpeg
    IMG_5418.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5417.jpeg
    IMG_5417.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5416.jpeg
    IMG_5416.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 47
If you cannot tell one of the Cadillacs of all accordions, that kind of speaks to your level of experience (no insult intended!)... lol
A Super VI is one of the near top of the line accordions made by Scandalli, a company out of Castelfidardo Italy.
the Super VI are known to be of high quality when well maintained and are normally give "a mano" reeds. This model is not the most recent iteration of this legendary model, that based off the right hand registers. You are looking at an accordion that will sell used (if in perfect condition) around $9000-11,000 US dollars and new is around $15000US dollars (ballpark estimations).

Year of production is going to be a little challenge, the SUPER VI has been around in several iterations for the last 15-20 years.

i can't tell from pics if it is a Scandalli Super 6 (best) or a Farfisa Super 6 (almost best)
or a Lear Siegler Super 6 (still pretty good) or a BonTempi Super 6 (LoL)
or a Morbidoni Super 6 (say what) or

the only way to tell really is play it and listen closely and if you can't tell
get someone to play it for you who can tell the difference

if somebody wants one, there is a Lear Siegler Super 6 on the Wash DC craigslist..
been on for a month or so

i don't know anything about it except it's there

i can't tell from pics if it is a Scandalli Super 6 (best) or a Farfisa Super 6 (almost best)
or a Lear Siegler Super 6 (still pretty good) or a BonTempi Super 6 (LoL)
or a Morbidoni Super 6 (say what) or

the only way to tell really is play it and listen closely and if you can't tell
get someone to play it for you who can tell the difference
Scandalli Super VI (unless you can get a Farfisa Super VI that says Scandalli on the front?), but I don't know if it is 1 or more generations back. Definitely not the "latest and greatest"

before the Farfisa factory was built/christened the original leg-wetting
Supers of both nameplates came from the old Main factory

some people have claimed that all accordion production was eventually
shifted to the Farfisa factory (i personally highly doubt that ever happened)
as i believe the only Accordion production line at Farfisa used the Scandalli
invented actions, while they continued at the old factory for the traditional builds
until the day they no longer used any pivot rods at all.

the aluminum stamping and shaping machinery was part of the "new"
way of doing things, the Pivot rods were the old.. why move that
equipment down and take up valuable space in the new factory
and why try to get the old skilled workforce to commute all that way
every morning when most of them were content walking to work
and walkinh home for Lunch ?

the new factory worked in Plastic, Aluminum, and Electronics primarily..
new kinds of people (young) new kinds of skills and they all had little cars
or scooters

wood? not so much
cellulose and acetone ? yeah like they were gonna risk a devastating fire at their
multi billion Lire investment into the most modern electronics fabricator Europe
had ever seen

recived feedback from scandalli , its 94/95 model.
That sadly means it is not a highly valued legendary Super VI from the 1960's. It is still a very good accordion, but not a legendary one. (And the possible sale price will reflect that.)

That sadly means it is not a highly valued legendary Super VI from the 1960's. It is still a very good accordion, but not a legendary one. (And the possible sale price will reflect that.)
That is sadly not just a trend with just Scandalli, but pretty much all of the higher end accordion manufacturers. That said, this Super VI is NOT a bad accordion by any means! :)

I believe my friend sold one just like or very close to it last year for around $6500CAD.

That is sadly not just a trend with just Scandalli, but pretty much all of the higher end accordion manufacturers. That said, this Super VI is NOT a bad accordion by any means! :)

I believe my friend sold one just like or very close to it last year for around $6500CAD.
That $6500 CAD is a far cry from the $9000-11000 US you mentioned earlier. $6500 CAD is indeed a more realistic price.
The recent Super VI is not a verbatim copy of the design of the 1960's Super VI. It's not just a matter of the reeds no longer being available (because excellent reeds are also being made today) but it's the internal construction, including things like the octave decoupler in the bass. Some design ideas included in the older (legendary) accordions have been abandoned for reasons of "too complicated" or reliability and others design choices are now more simply a matter of cutting costs.

during the period where major corporate "conglomerates" became enamored of buying
up Musiccal Instrument Manufacturers (the profit ratio looked so enticing)
CBS took Fender, Norlin took Chicago Music, Lear Sieglar grabbed Farfisa et al..

these corporations took over making marketing decisions and looked for
ways to maximize profits and cut costs. they did not know or see or care about
the "big picture" (which is necessary to do in the Music industry and Farming)
things started to seriously deteriorate for many such vassal buisinesses
now run by distant Overlords.

For a time, if any of you have Castiglione's old catalog/mailer still in your files,
you would note that suddenly all the high end model Scandalli's had
a duplicate identical looking Farfisa model at a much lower price. Much
in the way of "Quality" got watered down to take advantage of percieved
Value by the consumer, and contributed to Scandalli's ultimate bankrupcy
and dissolution and the complete loss of the great Factory to existence..
(Fender ALMOST was lost but saved at the last minute)

once a formerly huge company reaches the bank asset auction stage
typicallly the day to day operations had been suspended for a year
or more and all material value has been sold off or scrapped..
real estate assets are usually liquidated as soon as they are cleared..
(no-one even wanted the sprawling Farfisa factory lot and it was
abandoned as was SEM as was ELKA as was HAMMOND)
only actual "value" left is intellectual assets (brand names, contracts)

this is why i argue there is no continuance of Hammond, of Scandalli, of SEM,
because all these once mighty entities were fully reduced by the time
the NAME got bought by some new company

and so while the Lear Siegler Super VI obviously "slipped" during their
period of ownership, the drop in quality was nothing like when the
dirty little remote Bontiempi accordion factory, previously known mostly for it's
supplying Sears and Roebucks with beginner and intermeriate instruments,
suddenly began making the first of many "look alikes" under the name
Scandalli

and they managed to milk it for a very long time indeed

as is common with these sorts of things, (also evidenced with Paolo;s
downward spiral of quality) once one group feels they have "bled"
a name to the point of diminished returns, they sell the brand name
off to someone who has (usually) even lower expectations until they
reach their percieved "dimished" business point and they sell off the
name to some other entity who..

occasionally, you find someone who percieves the true value is to
bring the brand BACK to quality, which is where you see also
the comparison to Paolo, who is still being bld to dimished returns,
while the prople now behind Scandalli, Settimo, Sonola, are investing
time, effort, and Euro's into Future returns on investment through Quality

but again, without the original forms, tooling, etc. there is really no way
to re-create those classics truly in any sane cost effective manner.

i mean, the tech certainly exists to scan the molecules of a true Super Vl from
Camerano, you might even roto mold the case components exactly
or computer control a carbon fibre exact match body but then what do you
think the finished product would cost ?

(they did scan several Strad violins and one Guarnieri to the atoms,
but still can't figure out what made them so special)

how much can a reedmaker afford to sacrifice to perfection when they must
make their reeds sized to fit the existing accordion reed-blocks commonly being
used which are all based on the same scheme for sizing now because
WHO COULD POSSIBLY AFFORD to size reeds TO a unique accordion design
now that no manufacturer has an in house reedmaking dept ?

how much more would you have to spend on reeds for YOUR competitive
market accordion if you asked a reedmaker to please make each reed
a different length, sized to make the steel and the pitch as close to the
natural mathematical order of the universe as possible ?

Today you can buy a Hammond Organ, or a Stratocaster, that
are very good indeed, but there are other brands who also
offer a "Hammond" or "Strat" that are arguably perhaps even better
or more authentic.. a group has been trying to re-esatblish the actual tine based
Rhodes stage piano.. ALL of these people rely upon the same data and
history and the same limitations of reverse engineering and R&D costs
whether they currently "Own" the brand names or not

added to this is the inbred "Disinformation" that has been
a hallmark of the accordion industry post WW2.. and the single thing
that i personally found the most objectionable,, how the owners of
an American brand accordion would tell you to your face
"our factory in Italy..."

when NONE of them had a factory in Italy

and the waste of time brainstroming and then marketing something
"new" and "Exclusive" that is really just a new way of stringing words
together to describe the same old reeds but with a different color
or perfume ?

oh well.. my pet peeve'z are revealed

Last edited:
during the period where major corporate "conglomerates" became enamored of buying
up Musiccal Instrument Manufacturers (the profit ratio looked so enticing)
CBS took Fender, Norlin took Chicago Music, Lear Sieglar grabbed Farfisa et al..

oh well.. my pet peeve'z are revealed
These are also exactly my pet peeves...
It is amazing what people can be made to believe despite evidence to the contrary.
I like my Hohner Artiste X S a lot, but I do know it's actually an Excelsior (and not the original American Excelsior but the Italian one that took over the name). I simply dislike one thing about it, and that's the "Made in Germany" stamp it has.
Hohner has (luckily) stopped claiming that their higher-end accordions (except for the Gola) are made in Germany, but they do write about their "Hohner factory in Italy", which of course does not exist. Hohner gets an Italian accordion maker to produce accordions for them, and put a Hohner logo on their building (along with other logos of the other brands produced there)... but that doesn't make it a Hohner factory. In fact the only venue that Hohner still has that can be called an accordion factory is their factory in China. (I have not visited it, only seen the rubbish that comes out of it.)
People still believe they can buy a new Borsini made in the Borsini factory in Castelfidardo (which closed down years ago) or a new Fisart made in the Fisart/Vignoni factory in Castelfidardo (which also closed down years ago)... You are very right that the NAME is something that can have great commercial value, even though it no longer corresponds to a product or its maker. Many people have a house full of consumer electronic products labeled Philips, none of which is made by Philips (which in fact nowadays only makes medical equipment)... The sale of names is an industry-wide problem.

That $6500 CAD is a far cry from the $9000-11000 US you mentioned earlier. $6500 CAD is indeed a more realistic price.
Understood, and it makes a difference when more info is made available. Just goes to show again, you cannot judge a book by it's cover and the look of the Super VI has been around a long time, and kind of like in the sense of a Gola, it too has developed a reputation (and again, like a Gola, in some cases it is deserved but mostly it is not).

I will put som video clip of it and take picture inside of it. Soon as I come home. :) Thanks guys for the support!

Hello fellow accordion enthusiasts!

Attachments

• IMG_5447.jpeg
    IMG_5447.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5448.jpeg
    IMG_5448.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5450.jpeg
    IMG_5450.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5454.png
    IMG_5454.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5455.png
    IMG_5455.png
    987.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5456.png
    IMG_5456.png
    685.2 KB · Views: 40
Looks to be in excellent condition visually... whether its in tune or not can only be discerned if played. It's also interesting to see that no matter how good the reputation of an accordion manufacturer is, no matter what the model is a lower end or like in this case, a higher end model, they make tiny mistakes:

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 11.33.13 AM.png

The register on the right is improperly identified as the dot is missing that identifies the bassoon reed, OR the "16" is not supposed to be there. :D

Looks like this is a great accordion in pristine condition. It is of course not closer related to the legendary Scandalli Super VI from the sixties than any other top quality accordion from other Italian makers, and will therefore not sell for the huge amounts of money the old legends go for, but who cares when you are just playing and enjoying it!

Looks to be in excellent condition visually... whether its in tune or not can only be discerned if played. It's also interesting to see that no matter how good the reputation of an accordion manufacturer is, no matter what the model is a lower end or like in this case, a higher end model, they make tiny mistakes:

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 11.33.13 AM.png

The register on the right is improperly identified as the dot is missing that identifies the bassoon reed, OR the "16" is not supposed to be there. :D
"The register on the right is improperly identified as the dot is missing that identifies the bassoon reed, OR the "16" is not supposed to be there."
It may be an illusion, but I think I can see the hollow dot where the 16' (bassoon) should have been filled in with white paint...maybe it's been omitted, or perhaps someone's finger has erased it..? That's not at all uncommon, although if the former it should have been caught at the final inspection stage...

It may be an illusion, but I think I can see the hollow dot where the 16' (bassoon) should have been filled in with white paint...maybe it's been omitted, or perhaps someone's finger has erased it..? That's not at all uncommon, although if the former it should have been caught at the final inspection stage...
Oh it sure could be just the angle, I did go as close as the photo permitted... at the very least someone at the factory left out a tiny white dot... how dare they! :D :D

Back