• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Scandalli super 6

Lovely accordions Rufad!

On another note...

It seems some of the top accordionists nowadays prefer the more modern Scandalli Air VI.

Thank you!

On that other note of yours... 🙂

Maybe they prefer the more modern Scandalli Air VI because they can't get their hands on an old one? The old ones are not as readily available, and with time there will only be fewer and fewer of them. Just a thought... 🙂

Thank you!

On that other note of yours... 🙂

Maybe they prefer the more modern Scandalli Air VI because they can't get their hands on an old one? The old ones are not as readily available, and with time there will only be fewer and fewer of them. Just a thought... 🙂
A lot of "enthusiasts" will always want the original Super VI and also folk that play Balkan or South American music love them too.

Not everybody wants a vintage Super VI though. I used to own an M series Super VI so I know how good they were. However, I quickly realised that it wasn’t really very suitable for the music I liked to play and so I moved on from it.

Scandalli has a big history and there have been many interesting accordion designs over the years. They are certainly my favourite of the remaining accordion companies. The thing is, if an accordion company is only about one particular model, then that’s not really a healthy place for the brand to be in. However, I don’t think that’s the case with Scandalli any more. In recent years they have made efforts to diversify into lighter weight and compact instruments like the high performance AIR line and wooden instruments like the Intense. Also their Conservatorio (free bass) line is one of the best in my opinion.

I bought a Conservatorio line instrument recently with Quint converter - and it wasn’t a custom order either! Again, if you like free bass the Super VI is not going to work. In the future, I would also like to buy a good musette tuned accordion. I could get a new Super VI or Air VI with musette tuning, but I couldn’t buy a vintage Super VI model with that tuning - they never made musettes. However, as I prefer to "look forward" rather than back to the past, I would probably get an AIR or a Intense model made in mahogany.

It’s this branching out into new fields that makes Scandalli enjoyable for me. I know if they only just did variations on the Super VI I’d probably be looking for a different brand.

Here's another of the young virtuoso accordionists Gustavo Almeida on the Air VI.

Last edited:
Back