• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland FR3X midi issue

mihaifr3x

Reaction score
Hello...I have a Roland fr3x acordion and i d like to ask if someone knows if midi conector has power on it or not...I bought a wireless bluetooth midi yamaha MD-BT01 and it s not working...not powering on. On other devices the bluetooth midi wireless it s working. On my roland fr3x it s not working. Has someone met with this situation? I also didn t find anything about the midi conector of roland fr3x. Is it a defect or that is how it's fabricated?
Thankyou.

Yamaha MD-BT01 requires both connectors to be plugged into the instrument, like this:

MD-BT01.png

The FR-3x has one MIDI port, labelled 'MIDI OUT'. How do you connect MD-BT01 to the FR3X?

I'm using WIDI Master with my FR-1Xb and my FR-7b. I think it works with FR-3x too.

Yamaha MD-BT01 requires both connectors to be plugged into the instrument, like this:

MD-BT01.png

The FR-3x has one MIDI port, labelled 'MIDI OUT'. How do you connect MD-BT01 to the FR3X?

I'm using WIDI Master with my FR-1Xb and my FR-7b. I think it works with FR-3x too.
No...that s not true...yamaha mdbt01 works also with one conector depends how you use it...the midi conector from Fr3x can be set in or out from meniu but the issue is that roland does not provide power on midi conector. I have the confirmation of this from Roland corporation.

MD-BT01.png

Do you have one or two conectors on your acordion?

I have the FR1x which has only a single MIDI out connector (Not switchable like some other single connector Roland accordions ).
My bluetooth MIDi adapter „Quicco Sound mi.1“ is plugged in with one end, the other one is hanging loose.
It works perfectly - gets power from the FR1x and sends all data to my iPad for recording the notes.
I was even thinking of cutting of the second plug which I dont need. But I didn’t open the adapter yet to inspect the wiring if this could be done without damage.

BTW I did choose this particular device because it is much smaller than the Yamaha or the CME plugs. So I can leave it plugged into my FR1x and don‘t feel like it may get knocked off or will put too much stress / force on the MIDI connector of the accordion.

If you look at the „CME Widi Master plug“ you‘ll see that the plug which would go into the MIDI in of the accordion is detachable. Therefore I assume, you don‘t have to use it if you don‘t need it. The other part, the main plug, which connects to the MIDI out of the accordion is much bigger - probably because it has the full electronic. And I assume, this one only needs (and hopefully will get) the power from the accordion.

Regarding your Yamaha BT-01:
  • Which part did you plug into your accordion?
  • Did you try with your other MIDI gear if the BT-01 will work if only one part is inserted into the corresponding MIDI connector? (In that case of course only one way MIDI communication).
  • If yes, does it have to be plugged into the MIDI out to work (get power)?

Last edited:
I have the FR1x which has only a single MIDI out connector (Not switchable like some other single connector Roland accordions ).
My bluetooth MIDi adapter „Quicco Sound mi.1“ is plugged in with one end, the other one is hanging loose.
It works perfectly - gets power from the FR1x and sends all data to my iPad for recording the notes.
I was even thinking of cutting of the second plug which I dont need. But I didn’t open the adapter yet to inspect the wiring if this could be done without damage.

BTW I did choose this particular device because it is much smaller than the Yamaha or the CME plugs. So I can leave it plugged into my FR1x and don‘t feel like it may get knocked off or will put too much stress / force on the MIDI connector of the accordion.

If you look at the „CME Widi Master plug“ you‘ll see that the plug which would go into the MIDI in of the accordion is detachable. Therefore I assume, you don‘t have to use it if you don‘t need it. The other part, the main plug, which connects to the MIDI out of the accordion is much bigger - probably because it has the full electronic. And I assume, this one only needs (and hopefully will get) the power from the accordion.

Regarding your Yamaha BT-01:
  • Which part did you plug into your accordion?
  • Did you try with your other MIDI gear if the BT-01 will work if only one part is inserted into the corresponding MIDI connector? (In that case of course only one way MIDI communication).
  • If yes, does it have to be plugged into the MIDI out to work (get power)?
I tryed both sides and yes I also tryed on other device. On the other device (a keyboard arranjor) it works. I conected the in side of yamaha bluetooth to out conector of acordion( keyboard arranjor) . I am kind of surprised that your fr1x provides power and my fr3x not.

I am kind of surprised that your fr1x provides power and my fr3x not.

It may as well be that the BT-01 just does need more power than the FR3x provides. As far as I remember it was one of the first bluetooth dongles on the market. Whereas my device is a later generation (and much smaller size). On the other hand the FR3x is older than the FR1x series, so this may as well be the reason.

I have seen someone wiring an LED into an empty MIDI plug housing to check whether proper MIDI power is provided. But I don‘t have the schematics.

It may as well be that the BT-01 just does need more power than the FR3x provides. As far as I remember it was one of the first bluetooth dongles on the market. Whereas my device is a later generation (and much smaller size). On the other hand the FR3x is older than the FR1x series, so this may as well be the reason.

I have seen someone wiring an LED into an empty MIDI plug housing to check whether proper MIDI power is provided. But I don‘t have the schematics.
Thanks for the sugestion but I asker roland and they confirmed that fr3x does not provides power for external devices on midi conector.

... roland ... confirmed that fr3x does not provides power for external devices on midi conector.

Thank you for that information! Well, too bad that you can not use your BT-01 then!

If you anyway want to use wireless MIDI you may want to check out "CME Widi Jack". This can be powered externally - at least this is written in the description (I don't have that adapter myself). Any small USB power bank should serve as power source which then you can attach somehow to the accordeon strap.

Thank you for that information! Well, too bad that you can not use your BT-01 then!

If you anyway want to use wireless MIDI you may want to check out "CME Widi Jack". This can be powered externally - at least this is written in the description (I don't have that adapter myself). Any small USB power bank should serve as power source which then you can attach somehow to the accordeon strap.
I didn t know that widi can be powered extenaly...i ll try that. Thanks.

I didn t know that widi can be powered extenaly...i ll try that. Thanks.
It can. Another work around is that SOME v-accordions have a USB-B connector, one can connect the CME WIDI UHOST adapter to that and it should also power it. Test before putting out the money on your v-accordion.

This is my setup with Fr1x. Works great and you get bidirectional midi flow. uhost and a couple adapters plugging into usb A and the bottom usb port…works flawlessly as I once had a YouTube channel explaining all this, but since deleted it due to not much interest…

Attachments

• C17B8505-780B-4E0D-B611-AA7AC66A63FF.jpeg
    C17B8505-780B-4E0D-B611-AA7AC66A63FF.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 29
This is my setup with Fr1x. Works great and you get bidirectional midi flow. uhost and a couple adapters plugging into usb A and the bottom usb port…works flawlessly as I once had a YouTube channel explaining all this, but since deleted it due to not much interest…what
This is my setup with Fr1x. Works great and you get bidirectional midi flow. uhost and a couple adapters plugging into usb A and the bottom usb port…works flawlessly as I once had a YouTube channel explaining all this, but since deleted it due to not much interest…
What distance it works?

The way that Larry thought this out is actually ingenious. :)

These are low powered WIDI units. They say about 50 feet but signal begins to drop at around the 30 foot mark and reliability drops fast. A lot depends on local interference and if line of sight or not. Don't forget it is all based off of BlueTooth technology and that is NOT designed for long distance.

When it comes to distance, no problem. I only use wireless as a convenience, not to run off the stage too far. I find people between any wireless system could hamper connection…Bluetooth 5 is more reliable which widi products use. Presently, on my FR4x I use widibud pro in the usb port on front (not compatible on Fr1x and think 3x?). Connects to my arranger with another Widibud pro. Never had an issue for several months of use, 3 times a night gig. But nothings perfect, one little glitch in transmit or midi note receive could freeze up a notes to zero. But always have a backup plan. Panic button which resets the notes to zero. I use shift/startstop button which is for all Korg arrangers.
BTW, the Fr1x powers up the widimaster on the midi port…I believe the fr3x doesn’t…

Last edited:
When it comes to distance, no problem. I only use wireless as a convenience, not to run off the stage too far. I find people between any wireless system could hamper connection…Bluetooth 5 is more reliable which widi products use. Presently, on my FR4x I use widibud pro in the usb port on front (not compatible on Fr1x and think 3x?). Connects to my arranger with another Widibud pro. Never had an issue for several months of use, 3 times a night gig. But nothings perfect, one little glitch in transmit or midi note receive could freeze up a notes to zero. But always have a backup plan. Panic button which resets the notes to zero. I use shift/startstop button which is for all Korg arrangers.
BTW, the Fr1x powers up the widimaster on the midi port…I believe the fr3x doesn’t…
Very Wise words based on a lot of experience ,I expect learn't the hard way on actual live gigs !!!...............
thanks for all your tips and good advice .I always read them with gr8 interest ....Giovanni

Very Wise words based on a lot of experience ,I expect learn't the hard way on actual live gigs !!!...............
thanks for all your tips and good advice .I always read them with gr8 interest ....Giovanni
Thanks for your kind words. Trial, error and product usage over a period of time is very productive.

Keymn - I'm also interested in this set-up, but have a question (or three):
  • Could you have replaced the Widi Uhost (which is using both USB ports - one for data ("USB Computer" port on base of instrument), one for power ("USB Memory" port on front of instrument)) with a Widi Bud Pro in just the "USB Memory" port?
  • I really like the idea of using the "USB Computer" port only, but I'm guessing it doesn't deliver the requisite power - is that right?
  • I understand that USB adaptors such as Roland's WNA1100-RL (via "USB Memory" port) are for sending the digitised audio signal to compatible apps via wifi - is that right? This could be a good use case for keeping this port free from the the widi solution.
Many thanks
Chris

Keymn - I'm also interested in this set-up, but have a question (or three):
  • Could you have replaced the Widi Uhost (which is using both USB ports - one for data ("USB Computer" port on base of instrument), one for power ("USB Memory" port on front of instrument)) with a Widi Bud Pro in just the "USB Memory" port?
  • I really like the idea of using the "USB Computer" port only, but I'm guessing it doesn't deliver the requisite power - is that right?
  • I understand that USB adaptors such as Roland's WNA1100-RL (via "USB Memory" port) are for sending the digitised audio signal to compatible apps via wifi - is that right? This could be a good use case for keeping this port free from the the widi solution.
Many thanks
Chris
The Fr1x you need widi uhost plugged into the bottom port for communication. I use the front usb port for power. If you have FR4x widi bud pro will work in front usb port. You can use widimaster in the midi din port on the bottom of Fr1x FR4x, but the Fr1x midi din is only midi out, FR4x is selectable. With widibud pro or uhost you have instant bidirectional midi communication.

Back