• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Roland FR3X vs FR4X

landro

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 12, 2015
Messages
251
Reaction score
1
Can anyone here who has had both , tell me what the major differences are between the two , other than cosmetic and price? AND, is there a valid benefit to choose the 4X over the 3X?
Thank you.
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
182
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Going online is going to be the one way. The short answer is that the 3X came out over 8 years ago... March 2010 and the 4X came out in 2016. In an industry where changes come out almost daily, a product that is 8 years old has definitely been passed by the newer product.

That said, here comes the hard part... you have to know YOUR needs and requirements, and unfortunately no one else other than you will be able to tell you that. You need to do the research and decide which works for you.

Another way to see more differences is to get to know them both, and one way is to visit a location that sells them both and an even easier way is to download the freely available PDF documentation from the Roland website and spend an afternoon reading.
 

landro

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 12, 2015
Messages
251
Reaction score
1
Thanks Jerry,
I decided to just go ahead and get the FR4X (a done deal) since it has the FR8X sound engine.
I also like the quick access to the drums.
I`ve had the 7X and the 3X in the past so I`m quite familiar with the Rolands . I sold off my FR3X a few weeks ago thinking I could get by in my old age using one of my acoustic accordions but I soon realized what a terrible mistake that was.
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
895
Reaction score
66
landro post_id=61859 time=1533927841 user_id=1379 said:
Thanks Jerry,
I decided to just go ahead and get the FR4X (a done deal) since it has the FR8X sound engine.
I also like the quick access to the drums.
I`ve had the 7X and the 3X in the past so I`m quite familiar with the Rolands . I sold off my FR3X a few weeks ago thinking I could get by in my old age using one of my acoustic accordions but I soon realized what a terrible mistake that was.
That is what sold me was the 8x sound engine. With the editor, makes it easy to program registers, if needed. Have fun and enjoy your new instrument...
It is a well balanced...
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
182
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
landro post_id=61859 time=1533927841 user_id=1379 said:
I decided to just go ahead and get the FR4X (a done deal) since it has the FR8X sound engine.
I also like the quick access to the drums.
I`ve had the 7X and the 3X in the past so I`m quite familiar with the Rolands . I sold off my FR3X a few weeks ago thinking I could get by in my old age using one of my acoustic accordions but I soon realized what a terrible mistake that was.

If you had experience with the 3X and 7X, then I think you are going to be quite happy with the 4X. Besides the light weight, there is that undeniable versatility and diversity of sounds that just makes it a pleasure to use.

I look forward to hearing your experiences with the 4X and maybe seeing a video or two of you enjoying it. :) :ch
 
G

Gerald

Guest
I bought a FR 4X about three months ago. My first venture with digital. My first one had issues and the supplier changed it for another
Initially it was a nightmare trying to get the sounds I wanted and how to access them quickly, but eventually I conquered the basics
I really enjoy playing it now and want to move on to the next stage where I can make my own sets. Something for the winter to do
Does anyone know if there is anyone in the UK
Who makes sets as they do in USA? Certainly would be a time saver
All in all I’m thoroughly enjoying playing it and have no regrets in switching from my Honer to my Roland
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
182
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Gerald post_id=62007 time=1534435358 user_id=2965 said:
I bought a FR 4X about three months ago. My first venture with digital. My first one had issues and the supplier changed it for another
Initially it was a nightmare trying to get the sounds I wanted and how to access them quickly, but eventually I conquered the basics
I really enjoy playing it now and want to move on to the next stage where I can make my own sets. Something for the winter to do
Does anyone know if there is anyone in the UK
Who makes sets as they do in USA? Certainly would be a time saver
All in all I’m thoroughly enjoying playing it and have no regrets in switching from my Honer to my Roland

Distance means nothing when the best made sets anywhere are available on the internet. ;)

http://www.noelaccordion.com/roland.html

I have the sets for the 8X and have only one thing to say... amazing, This is the way that the 8X should have come from the factory!!
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
895
Reaction score
66
The sound of the FR4x out of the box has the EQ set flat on zero. Not sure what 8x is set at? This is my first parameters I set. Not much adjustments on the EQ curve is too be made. When hooked up to the editor you will find the EQ pages. Everyone may have a different impression on what you want the accordion to sound like. I think based on style of music you play.
I play Slovanian Style Polkas and Classic Country Music. So I want that bright accordion Polka sound. I accomplish this by blending an accordion mussete with orchestra accordion sound. Then add sax, pedal steel, electric guitar, fiddle, Mandolin, trumpets on the other registers. But that’s me!
Have fun with your new instrument and start with 1 bank of 7 registers. There is no need to have all 99 registers setup all in one session. You just build up from there and add more later. I had my FR4x for over a year and presently use 7-10 registers on my gigs.
 

DonN5LZ

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2018
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Im trying to install the FR-4x Editor to my Windows 10 computer but cannot seem to make it happen. The zip file that I downloaded from http://www.roland.com/support included the file called FR-4X_Editor.jar which I understand to be the installation file but my Windows 10 machine will not open it.

The driver installed automatically when I connected the 4X to the computer but I cannot seem to do anything with the *.jar file ….

Any suggestions?

Thanks
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
895
Reaction score
66
DonN5LZ post_id=62800 time=1536858631 user_id=3110 said:
Im trying to install the FR-4x Editor to my Windows 10 computer but cannot seem to make it happen. The zip file that I downloaded from http://www.roland.com/support included the file called FR-4X_Editor.jar which I understand to be the installation file but my Windows 10 machine will not open it.

The driver installed automatically when I connected the 4X to the computer but I cannot seem to do anything with the *.jar file ….

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Make sure you have the latest Java program which opens this file...it has been awhile since I did this but remember went through the same pain...so hopefully, this helps...
 

DonN5LZ

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2018
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Thanks Larry … I did install latest Java and have managed to get it running, but seem to have to run it from the command prompt ... hopefully I can get it installed so I can launch it from a desktop shortcut or something similar ... I'll keep trying. Thanks again.
 

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
2,567
Reaction score
30
Location
Netherlands
Create a shortcut and put your java command into the instruction line.
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
182
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
DonN5LZ post_id=62804 time=1536861824 user_id=3110 said:
I did install latest Java and have managed to get it running, but seem to have to run it from the command prompt ...

Maybe you changed the default app that works with it. Right click the Editor Jar file, select OPEN WITH > CHOOSE ANOTHER APP > find and select Java (TM) Platform SE Binary
 

DonN5LZ

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2018
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Thank you Glenn and Jerry. You are right Jerry, as I had inadvertently changed the default app as you suspected … but changing "open with" to Java has thus far not launched the application … A window briefly appears on the screen and disappears before I can read it and it goes back to nothing … there are no error messages however. As I mentioned I now have no problem running the editor from the command prompt so at least I can run it. I've been trying to write a bat file that I can run from a shortcut on the desktop that will open the command prompt and launch that way but haven't been able to come up with the correct commands or sequence yet … still trying. I'll get it eventually, and in the meantime I can run the editor from command prompt.
 

DonN5LZ

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2018
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
New 4x question: My 4x is just a few days old and I am still working through the initial orientation. I am seeing that every file that has been written to the USB drive is dated 4/1/2015. Is there a clock/calander in the FR4X that needs to be set? It would be very helpful to have backup files dated correctly for archiving, etc. I've been through the reference manual a couple times and don't recall seeing anything about setting date and time.
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
182
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
DonN5LZ post_id=62831 time=1536956089 user_id=3110 said:
New 4x question: My 4x is just a few days old and I am still working through the initial orientation. I am seeing that every file that has been written to the USB drive is dated 4/1/2015. Is there a clock/calander in the FR4X that needs to be set? It would be very helpful to have backup files dated correctly for archiving, etc. Ive been through the reference manual a couple times and dont recall seeing anything about setting date and time.

Check the date of your computer. If it is a file that is created on your PC, it is your PCs date/time that shows whatever date it is set to. If it is a file that is created on a USB drive inserted in your V-accordion, you might (and I am guessing here now!), to connectthe V-accordion to your computer and run the editor so that it might possibly sync the time from the PC to the V-accordion. As I said, just guessing as I am an 8X user. The clock on my 8X dates the files appropriately, and there is no set date setting on my V-accordion that I can find anywhere, including a quick search through the 8Xmanual.
 

DonN5LZ

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2018
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Thanks Jerry .. but there has never been problem with the clock/calendar on my computer. When I'm running the FR4X editor while the 4X is connected via USB, all files generated by the editor and saved to the computer (including set and upg exports from the 4x) are appropriately date/time stamped, and are therefore easy to archive and sort by date, etc. But, with the accordion disconnected from the computer, virtually every file that is exported and written to the USB flash drive is dated "April 1 2015 12:00 AM" … that includes backups of sets, UPBs, and UPGs. I am encouraged that your 8X is dating files appropriately so there must be something I need to do. The next time I connect up I'll snoop through the software and see if there are any time syncing settings, etc. Thanks again.
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
895
Reaction score
66
JerryPH post_id=62855 time=1537050693 user_id=1475 said:
DonN5LZ post_id=62831 time=1536956089 user_id=3110 said:
New 4x question: My 4x is just a few days old and I am still working through the initial orientation. I am seeing that every file that has been written to the USB drive is dated 4/1/2015. Is there a clock/calander in the FR4X that needs to be set? It would be very helpful to have backup files dated correctly for archiving, etc. Ive been through the reference manual a couple times and dont recall seeing anything about setting date and time.

Check the date of your computer. If it is a file that is created on your PC, it is your PCs date/time that shows whatever date it is set to. If it is a file that is created on a USB drive inserted in your V-accordion, you might (and I am guessing here now!), to connectthe V-accordion to your computer and run the editor so that it might possibly sync the time from the PC to the V-accordion. As I said, just guessing as I am an 8X user. The clock on my 8X dates the files appropriately, and there is no set date setting on my V-accordion that I can find anywhere, including a quick search through the 8Xmanual.
I have some kind of clock/calendar in my Korg arranger. Not sure it’s function after4 years of use? I think something to do with the CPU battery? Anyway, Jerry nailed it on giving you some good information. :b
 

DonN5LZ

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2018
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
No Keymn, the problem hasn't been "nailed" yet :) … there's not a thing wrong with the clock/calendar in my computer … it's just that my new 4X still thinks it's midnight on April 1 2015. I see that you have a 4X also … does yours get the date right when it writes files that are exported directly to a USB flash drive?

On the other point …. I lost a bank of user programs in an old Alesis synth a few years ago when the 2025 battery died … I hadn't used it in 2-3 years …. and that battery had been direct soldered to the circuit board (how dumb is that?) …. I removed and replaced the battery with a battery holder so I can now simply press replacement batteries into place.... works great. But that synth never has cared what the date and time is … it doesn't need to since there's no way it can export data. it just needs a little power so it can remember my programs ...

I suppose this date thing with the 4X isn't a big deal .... so I'll just move on ….. the sun will come up tomorrow morning no matter what day the 4X thinks it is...
 

Similar threads

Top