• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Proxima and the Future of Electronic Accordions

For myself, I'm very much of the opinion that the visuals of a performance are a huge part of (especially orchestral) music concerts, and a big part of that is seeing what a human has to do to get those sounds out. If I couldn't see the musicians actually making the music, then I'm with dak - I'd much rather just stay home and listen to the recording, where I can be getting other things done at the same time, and it's socially acceptable to use my phone or my laptop.

Absolutely. I read somewhere that less than 50% of a performance is the music - the rest being visual, audience interaction, atmosphere, etc.
We went to see a Pink Floyd some years ago. They were brilliant - not a note wrong, but there was no stage presence and it was like listening to a CD. While I will never be even close to their technical ability, I wouldn't see them again.

It's also something I've had to learn myself. Not an outgoing person, none-the-less I'm the lead singer in a band. We play renaissance-folk-rock and dress in renaissance outfits, and play instruments that look like they might be from the period. Engaging the audience with anecdotes, a bit of history, all seems to come together that we tend to get a good reception and re-booked. Despite our music being a bit obscure.

This was a publicity photo for last year's band line-up. Me on the right.
tudor-s - 1 (1).jpeg

I have no knowledge of Proxima, their background, or their earnestness, but it wouldn't shock me to learn they might not be far from this last category of industry player (dishonesty compounded by the shortage and other unexpected calamities), which would be very disappointing. But the lack of information or communication is a red flag to me.
Actually you may know them. Same people that created the EVO. Their "process" was exactly the same as with the Proxima. Videos out 3-4 years before anything became available, when something did come out it was a few youtube videos. 3 years later they made the website and 2 years after that still no pricelist. 1 year later a price list came out, but you could not buy it if you offered them 3 times their price because they decided to sell in Asia only.

It took another 2 years before the first EVO touched North American soil. 1 year after that they claimed bankrupcy, and at a bit past that time, introduced Petosa as the only EVO dealer in North America, They only sold them, not repaired... then a year later started repairing them. Not sure how as parts production stopped with the bankruptcy. Maybe they were scavaging unsold stock?

The owner wisely deleted a TON of his posts off Facebook... too bad because it highlighted his failures one by one starting with his apologies for the delivery delays and ultimate closing of the company. This was WAY before covid. identical excuses are cropping up!

Wish I had taken a few screen shots, but it was not worth my time. All I know is that the EVO is SUPER nice to play, but you could not make me buy one if it meant me sponsoring that company.

Last edited:
With enough patience, digging up Internet history on https://archive.org is often feasible.
Do you find this to be true of Facebook? Most of the (even public) content on there doesn't seem to be accessible without an account, which presumably archive.org isn't using in its spiders. I use the Way Back Machine somewhat regularly, but I confess I haven't had the opportunity to try it with Facebook.

Do you find this to be true of Facebook? Most of the (even public) content on there doesn't seem to be accessible without an account, which presumably archive.org isn't using in its spiders. I use the Way Back Machine somewhat regularly, but I confess I haven't had the opportunity to try it with Facebook.
I don't think it works with most of the Social Media sites, to be honest.

Back