• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Problem with Roland FR-3s

Like this?
1704893562277.jpeg1704893562277.jpeg
This is a separate PCB for the lowest two button rows removed. I think the strip still behind the buttons may be shown to be the wrong way round.
Looks like holes line up one way. Seems can not be reversed? As in the article, try swapping a set. See if the problem moves to a new area?

Looks like holes line up one way. Seems can not be reversed? As in the article, try swapping a set. See if the problem moves to a new area?
This is an old photograph. The strips can be reversed and one was reversed. I think you may be addressing your reply to the original poster?

This is an old photograph. The strips can be reversed and one was reversed. I think you may be addressing your reply to the original poster?
Good you took pictures. The carbon bubbles all looked good? Not shiny or pitted?

Good you took pictures. The carbon bubbles all looked good? Not shiny or pitted?
I think you are still confusing me with the one who posted here about his problems with the FR-3s. The photograph is old and from an FR-1b.

I was wondering about the barcode in the lower left of the assembly.
In some documentary about the Fatar factory (Fatar is a keyboard module supplier for a lot of other instrument manufacturers) they said that in the higher end keyboards each supply keyboard module is tested and calibrated individually in respect to velocity curve (and maybe aftertouch sensitivity as well). The result is then printed as a barcode (or maybe QR code, I don’t remember exactly) and attached to the keyboard. That way the final manufacturer of a keyboard instrument can integrate a Fatar keyboard module, read in the barcode and then store the calibration data in the instrument’s memory.

I don’t know if Fatar produces for Roland or Roland’s accordion line but I took away from that documentary that it can be more cost efficient in mass producing mechanic-electronic keyboards by allowing higher tolerances in the velocity response and then fixing it afterwards with an individual calibration curve.

If this stategy is true for Roland accordion keyboards as well than swapping / exchanging contact pads may not be a good solution - although probably better than not having a working keyboard at all.

I don’t know if Fatar produces for Roland or Roland’s accordion line but
1) Fatar began as an accordion builder.
2) When I had given up on the keyboard of my Roland U-20 synthesizer, my retailer who sold me a Fatar Studio 900 keyboard controller told me (1992?), that Fatar manufactured many keyboards for Roland. (I wonder about the U-20 crap.) I noticed mentioning of Fatar again in a YouTube video on the Roland Fantom-0 synthesizer range.
3) It may be too simple for me to say: Fatar is Italian, and so are Roland's V-Accordions, therefore...

Back