• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Playing Chord Buttons Too Long - Mistakes Self-Taught Accordion Players Make.

What about the left hand in this clip?
(The left hand comes in at about the 40 second mark: be patient 😄)

Jeez, wilddog, howdya findem'? ;)

To some extent, I agree that learning to limit the note lengths on the bass side is desirable for a lot of music and as a necessary step in learning to control finger movements - and I say that as one who is doing precisely that - but I also have a deep seated antipathy to rigid pedagogic methods which are often imposed without appropriate explanation.
I've ranted on about such 'teaching' styles before, having seen the disasterous consequences of such teaching on youngsters with natural talent
whose intrinsic abilities were ignored and their enthusiasm destroyed.
Education is about encouraging, not dictating; about developing natural talent, not moulding it to some preconcieved 'standard' form.
There is a profound difference between a teacher saying:"This is how you can get a better result", by demonstrating the effect and "You must do it this way." without showing the student how to attain the desired result.

To some extent, I agree that learning to limit the note lengths on the bass side is desirable for a lot of music and as a necessary step in learning to control finger movements - and I say that as one who is doing precisely that - but I also have a deep seated antipathy to rigid pedagogic methods which are often imposed without appropriate explanation.
I've ranted on about such 'teaching' styles before, having seen the disasterous consequences of such teaching on youngsters with natural talent
Education is about encouraging, not dictating; about developing natural talent, not moulding it to some preconcieved 'standard' form.
There is a profound difference between a teacher saying:"This is how you can get a better result", by demonstrating the effect and "You must do it this way." without showing the student how to attain the desired result.
I should clarify that my teacher is very understanding and provides ample reasons and demonstrations to his strong suggestions. What I mentioned in the video might make my teacher look strict and brutal. Its because I didn't spend enough time describing our conversations. Our discussions on this topic kept going on for over 6 months. I only provided excerpts from those conversatoins.

Here's another example of long chords (and long basses) sounding super sweet. My teacher's comments about bass length were not for songs like this. In fact he is a big fan of Sergei. His suggestions were in the context of Oompah.

Back