• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

One man's musical journey ...🙂

How fortunate he was to have the parents he had who totally appreciated the value of good tuition.
What a lovely heartwarming story! My parents conversely weren't that keen (despite being and continuing to be excellent parents). In hindsight their lack of music promotion served as motivation as there is nothing a teenager enjoys more than rebelling!

Last edited:
That is a great, great story!!!! My father was also a WW2 vet and I believe he always wished he played accordion, although I was spared the forced lessons as a youngster. He always supported my, and my sisters and brothers playing instruments in school.

In fact, when I showed him Paul and Jerry's book he was so taken by it that I gave him my copy. Now I have to buy another one! He also bought one of those toy accordions in his nineties, unfotunately unplayable. He's now 100 years old and every time I talk to him on the phone he asks me if I'm playing my accordion. Today when I told him I can't play, he told me to make sure I keep it out and warmed up.

I'll never be a professional like Jerry N. but I get it.

I have a lot in common with this guy. My Dad taught me to play. Started when I was 6 and everywhere we went the accordionS came with us. His and mine, until eventually it was just mine. Just absolutely great memories. I think sometimes, he is just standing in back of me listening, like he always did.

Back