• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Using one man band software for auto-accompaniment

I'm a Mac user at this point and I've given up my Sibelius license for MuseScore, which is free and, for my purposes, does just as good a job as Sibelius, which costs a lot. But I tend to keep my DAW (at this point Logic) and my notation tasks separate, although Logic's staff window is pretty good and MuseScore is moving into DAW territory.
I am not really happy about what happened with Musescore. Check out the Musescore.com stories and try downloading some "free" content from there without getting hounded into a subscription. Of course the standalone software remains available as free software from Musescore.org, but a big part of the current development team is now running Musescore.com and getting paid by its bait-and-switch tactics.

My principal reason for using LilyPond has nothing to do with that: I actually like working with text entry and the possibilities this gives me. Nevertheless it has been disheartening to see the path the Musescore development community has taken.

Of course there is also an ugly story behind Sibelius (its original developers have been bought out and thrown out the project and now have become Steinberg's "Dorico" development team, with the "opportunity" to create a note typesetting system from scratch after already having created one previously). But that story is more one of capitalism doing the things it does.

I am not really happy about what happened with Musescore. Check out the Musescore.com stories and try downloading some "free" content from there without getting hounded into a subscription. Of course the standalone software remains available as free software from Musescore.org, but a big part of the current development team is now running Musescore.com and getting paid by its bait-and-switch tactics.

My principal reason for using LilyPond has nothing to do with that: I actually like working with text entry and the possibilities this gives me. Nevertheless it has been disheartening to see the path the Musescore development community has taken.

Of course there is also an ugly story behind Sibelius (its original developers have been bought out and thrown out the project and now have become Steinberg's "Dorico" development team, with the "opportunity" to create a note typesetting system from scratch after already having created one previously). But that story is more one of capitalism doing the things it does.
Yes, I'm aware of the Sibelius --> Dorico story.

I'm also aware of what MuseScore.com is doing, so I'm sticking to MuseScore.org.

But right now, I have chores to do.

I'll catch up in a few days.

specifically to the point regarding muting the track of the no-show bandmember:

for those who don't know, a basic MIDIfile has 16 tracks/channels, drums are typically on
channel 10, the lead or melody is often on channel 1 or 4, the rest of the "band"
chosen and placed by the author of the file, but you almost always have a Bass track
and a guitar/rhodes track "comping" chords and maybe a track for the counterpoint or harmony
or an improv type interlude.. maybe there is an occasional string section too

so most MIDIfiles come with multiple tracks and sounds to begin with,
Karaoke MIDI's also have lyrics and often a melody "follow the bouncing ball" track
that is muted or default zero volume (embedded) for each melody note

often. we find something on the net that is cool and adapt it to our own
arrangement or preferences, or we may make one from scratch

once someone like Rosie has a MIDI file of a song they play in her band,
it is likely she could pretty easily adjust a few tracks to reflect HOW they play
the song. say she wants to introduce a new song to them, well she plays the
track at rehearsal and If they are all pretty good, tight, they could easily play along
and once they "got it" she could quickly mute their "tracks" so they are
all now playing along with "just" the rhythm section and maybe the strings
and embellishments

so the next step is obvious and just as easy, one of her mates calls in sick
and can't make a date, she takes a bunch of their MIDI songs and quick mutes
his partss and renders them as MP3 files, pops them onto her phone, and
does the gig

over time, she gets an archive of minus one tracks of pretty much every band member
so it is easier and easier each time to cover for a missing mate

MIDI makes this kind of flexibility easy and convenient.. i personally had an archive
of MIDI tracks that were with or minus my Trumpet player, my Drummer, and a raft
of MIDI's in different keys for different Vocalists

the final audio quality of the MIDI is based upon 2 things, the finesse of whoever
crafted the MIDI, and the overall quality of the Sound Engine used for rendering
to an AUDIO format, and in my case, for at least 4 decades now, my MIDI's are
"CD quality studio sound" as used in live performance

so that's kind of how it works, or can work, and it can be a professional solution
to the "problem" or need referred to in this thread. It works/worked for me and a lot
of other people too. Some people prefer to go with studio audio tracks laid down
by a backing trax company or themselves, but once you make an audio track, you have
to make it all over again if you need to change something, so adjusting a MIDI file
then rendering it again is way easier than getting everyone back into the recording Studio

alternative to Audio performance files is to just take the MIDI files and a dedicated
machine and let the MIDI play in real time as you play along. The problem for this
specific need, however, is it is difficult to find a machine that makes muting of various
tracks easy to do on the fly.. the easiest way to play MIDI's live if you DO need to often
make adjustments or mute different tracks, is to have a dedicated laptop running your
software Sequencer and use it as your dedicated performance machine. Many of us gigged with
laptops back in the day, Yamaha had the first one with a slot that took a MIDI card
(basically a smart U-art serial port) it was a cool machine but heavy and had floppy disks.

this is older tech, but tried and true and can be resurrected at need by any of you..
if you have an older Windows computer that is useless now, re-purpose it as a Music
computer and you can have some fun with MIDI or, as Alan mentioned, Karaoke tracks too.

as far as the issue of having to play to the timing of a MIDI, i realize this seems to be
a sticking point for some, but personally i always want to be spot on with the
hooks and timing anyhow, so it was never any kind of inconvenience for me.

your mileage may vary..

I think if you use arranger software, you need to get computer or IPad dedicated to be used for this purpose. As a PC ages and loaded with more files, you could get drop outs or skips. Especially, if other softwares are working in the background. Hardware is the way to go at this time, use our Pads/PC’s for music reading and song selection.
Several years ago I saw a PC windows based Arranger keyboard. The hardware was there, with a place to set you laptop. But have to look it up in my archives, as it lasted briefly and very expensive.

oh cool.. i would love to hear a few.. is your stuff in an archive out there somewhere ?
It may still be available in the Usenet group alt.binaries.karaoke if that newsgroup still exists. I know I still have some on my NAS drive. But if you want to see the lyrics, you’ll need player software that still runs on modern operating systems.

Most of my files are English transliterations of Hebrew, Yiddish, and Ladino songs and some Allan Sherman parodies like The Mexican Hat Dance, No One’s Perfect, You Went The Wrong Way Old King Louie, etc.

If you’re interested, PM me with your email address and I’ll send them.

I think if you use arranger software, you need to get computer or IPad dedicated to be used for this purpose. As a PC ages and loaded with more files, you could get drop outs or skips. Especially, if other softwares are working in the background. Hardware is the way to go at this time, use our Pads/PC’s for music reading and song selection.
Several years ago I saw a PC windows based Arranger keyboard. The hardware was there, with a place to set you laptop. But have to look it up in my archives, as it lasted briefly and very expensive.
I stumbled upon this item on YouTube the other day. It's a software system that has been around for some time, however it's new to me. It's called swingmaschinen.de. perhaps someone can look at the original German website and evaluate this. My command of German is limited to the ability to order beer. ;)

one man band Quote;
"It creates auto-accompaniment based on the played chords and it adds auto-harmony to the played melody. Chords and melody can be played in real time in the Live Window"

Has anyone here had experience using this software with the accordion?
Just got a never used BK7M for my Roland 4X. Original purchaser passed away and it layed in original box until sold by his wife. My teacher demonstrated it for me and works great. If you can find one I would recommend it but unfortunately Roland discontinued them several years ago. Any suggestions on an amplifier for an amateur to use at home?

Just got a never used BK7M for my Roland 4X. Original purchaser passed away and it layed in original box until sold by his wife. My teacher demonstrated it for me and works great. If you can find one I would recommend it but unfortunately Roland discontinued them several years ago. Any suggestions on an amplifier for an amateur to use at home?
Tons of options, however since the BK7m is stereo, I've kind of built up 3 options:

I use a pair of Bose 802E and a 500watt amp for when gigging. Considered "vintage" now, they still have a great sound:
1705404095152.png

I have a smaller mono setup for use in smaller places isubg a Roland Jazz Chorus 160:
1705404170259.png

For home use, believe it or not, I use a small 3-way computer setup using Altec Lansing speakers, more than loud enough and the sound isn't half bad:
20170129_161112.jpg

Hi Dak, Any thoughts on this product?
I wouldn't be able to give a fair assessment. Those are tools: you talk to them in a certain manner, and they respond in a certain manner. I recognize that they give the average listener a much more diverse if stereotypical soundscape. But I am somewhat weird in that I really don't listen to music for enjoyment, so I am not really equipped for judging its suitability in that regard. Instead I play for my enjoyment, and I could not guess how this would react to my play. I find that I already find it annoying if some electronic instrument switches between different samples between minuscule differences in pressure/key velocity that don't make a difference at other operating points. A good entertainer will learn to navigate those points in order to consistently get one or the other response. I definitely am not a good entertainer. My main focus is having fun myself.

I wouldn't be able to give a fair assessment. Those are tools: you talk to them in a certain manner, and they respond in a certain manner. I recognize that they give the average listener a much more diverse if stereotypical soundscape. But I am somewhat weird in that I really don't listen to music for enjoyment, so I am not really equipped for judging its suitability in that regard. Instead I play for my enjoyment, and I could not guess how this would react to my play. I find that I already find it annoying if some electronic instrument switches between different samples between minuscule differences in pressure/key velocity that don't make a difference at other operating points. A good entertainer will learn to navigate those points in order to consistently get one or the other response. I definitely am not a good entertainer. My main focus is having fun myself.
Thanks, I own a Bk7m and it suits me very well. I was just curious about the price for this software and because my command of German is very very poor thought that perhaps you might be able to provide some information here. It's important to be aware of available solutions in the world of accordions. 😀

Tons of options, however since the BK7m is stereo, I've kind of built up 3 options:

I use a pair of Bose 802E and a 500watt amp for when gigging. Considered "vintage" now, they still have a great sound:
1705404095152.png

I have a smaller mono setup for use in smaller places isubg a Roland Jazz Chorus 160:
1705404170259.png

For home use, believe it or not, I use a small 3-way computer setup using Altec Lansing speakers, more than loud enough and the sound isn't half bad:
20170129_161112.jpg
Thank you for the great advice.

Website doesn’t exist… how old is the video?
Hello Jerry,
I am new a couple of days to the Forum here. I love the imbellishments you gave to "Moon River" as I visited Your Memories Site. It's great that Europe holds on the their culture and interest in the fine arts. I am lost here in the U.S./Houston, TX (from Cleveland, Ohio originaly) to find other accordion interest or players. Do you perform solo frequently?

I am new a couple of days to the Forum here. I love the imbellishments you gave to "Moon River" as I visited Your Memories Site. It's great that Europe holds on the their culture and interest in the fine arts. I am lost here in the U.S./Houston, TX (from Cleveland, Ohio originaly) to find other accordion interest or players. Do you perform solo frequently?
Hi Benc, welcome to the forum.

Actually, though my parents were both from the "then" Czechosolvakia, I am a Canadian... as a matter of fact for many years even lived in Dallas Texas... lol There is a lot more accordion interest in Texas than you may be aware. Did you know that the accordion is the "unofficial" instrument of Texas? :D

It's like, the further south you go, the stronger it gets... so look in to it, if you search, you will find!

My performing days are pretty much over (by choice, those that know me here know why this is a personal choice), I post a few videos on YouTube and play for family (with the odd 3-5 times a year that I gig professionally. For me today, it is all about the pleasure and fun of playing what makes me happy.

Yes I am a Christian as well! My grandmother was Croatian and my father's side. I don't perform publicly anymore either and, like yourself, my choices are personal. The most hotels, supper clubs, parties don't desire the genre of music that I used to play. Moreover, it's because of my faith it's changed what I sing and what I play on the keyboards. Like you I play accordion and B3 for my own enjoyment and post a video on YouTube from time to time. Interesting, we have much in common Jerry

Back