• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Using one man band software for auto-accompaniment

fogman25

Reaction score
one man band Quote;
"It creates auto-accompaniment based on the played chords and it adds auto-harmony to the played melody. Chords and melody can be played in real time in the Live Window"

Has anyone here had experience using this software with the accordion?

In looking at the website, what a convolution... looks like something from the 1980's. It looks very much like a personal project more than a professional app, but I give him credit for creating it. Sadly I could not find any videos of people using it while performing.

When I do something like this, I prefer to use arrangers (which basically do the same concept "based on the played chords and it adds auto-harmony to the played melody"). Easier to setup (plug in, choose beat, speed and play).

In my case it is not a software solution, but a hardware solution.

one man band Quote;
"It creates auto-accompaniment based on the played chords and it adds auto-harmony to the played melody. Chords and melody can be played in real time in the Live Window"

Has anyone here had experience using this software with the accordion?

I did use "Band-in-a-Box" (BiaB) which seemingly has a similar concept. And similarily bad "vintage" GUI. I never felt at home with that kind of accompaniment - although the virtual musicians played much better then I ever will. But then I should confess that I don't like to play to any "backing tracks" (band minus one stuff) because the train steadily keeps on moving regardless whether I can follow or not. I much prefer to play in a dialog with a real person or - if not available - by myself.

because the train steadily keeps on moving regardless whether I can follow or not.
That's where a nice little foot pedal with a stop/start button makes all the difference, and besides even when playing in a real band or even just a drummer, that "train" also keeps on going.

Basically everything takes some different skill, from playing alone to playing along with someone to playing with an arranger or a computer based arranger or a backing track (the last one really feels like I am locked in with no options).

I feel (just my opinion), that the hardware arranger offers a little more control. With my arrangers I can choose when it starts, stops, different beginnings and endings, changes in variations and drum fills all via 7 buttons on a pedal.

I feel (just my opinion), that the hardware arranger offers a little more control. With my arrangers I can choose when it starts, stops, different beginnings and endings, changes in variations and drum fills all via 7 buttons on a pedal.
Thanks for your feedback. This OMB software is dated but I have not found other arranger software which responds to your chord changes etc as you play. Bandinabox requires you follow its chord progression that you previously typed in and you are locked in.
The hardware arranger that you use and your setup sounds ideal and I am very impressed with your playing and how you use it. I was looking for some lower priced solution to experiment with. The multi button foot switch seems essential so you can keep your hands on the accordion.

Bandinabox requires you follow its chord progression that you previously typed in and you are locked in.

I was thinking it had chord / harmony recognition too. But maybe it was only when recording tracks and not during live playback. Sorry, didn't use it for more than a decade.

Thanks for your feedback. This OMB software is dated but I have not found other arranger software which responds to your chord changes etc as you play. Bandinabox requires you follow its chord progression that you previously typed in and you are locked in.
The hardware arranger that you use and your setup sounds ideal and I am very impressed with your playing and how you use it. I was looking for some lower priced solution to experiment with. The multi button foot switch seems essential so you can keep your hands on the accordion.
For an arranger, at least a bass MIDI is a pretty good idea since then you essentially feed the arranger directly with your current bass and chord information. In order not to compete with what it then cranks out as accompaniment, it is nice if you have a way to mute your bass side acoustically (the easiest way is a mute register).

I’ve used BIAB to create (mostly klezmer using a set of klezmer styles created for BIAB) backing tracks. It works well for that purpose. I’ve also experimented with OMB as arranger software and found it to be cumbersome.

I just found this thread started by Tom in 2022. I hope Tom will update
us on his experience with soft arranger and xmure.
a software arranger that works
Hi Fogman,

Although I did get both Giglad and Soft Arranger to work (on the Roland fr4x with midi out to usb in cord), it took a lot of tweaking on my Windows system. I did not try the iOS versions. I have not continued after my initial foray, because, although I think there is a lot of potential with software arrangers, the technology was not to a place where it was mature and easy to use. I suspect that there have been advances over the past year. At some point I will probably give Soft Arranger another try, Seemed headed in the right direction. I’d like to hear your experience too!

Thanks Tom for your update. I will check them out. I understand with the arranger you would mute bass from accordion and tap the chord change just before the next section starts and it will keep playing until you tap next chord change. It would then change on next bar based on set tempo. You would have to maintain correct tempo with right hand just as if you were following a backing track. Is this correct ?

…hmmm, as I recall, the tempo is detected by the software arranger, and maintained, or is set, and not variable. (My recollection is foggy, I would have to verify that.) As far as the chords go, the identification is essentially instantaneous, that is to say any lag is not noticeable, so you can play just like normal. Yes, it will continue that chord until another is detected. As far as the bass notes go, you can play them or not, up to you, since the chords alone are identified. I used stradella, have not tried with free bass.

the issue for me using any chord recognition stuff from Accordion as controller is just that..
you have to play the chord button on the first moment of the chord change

except accordion players play the OOM on the first moment,
not the PAahhhhh

so it is fingerus interruptus from normal second nature accordion playing

personally, having worked on occasion in Mall Music stores over the years,
what made the difference for ME was the advent of the Piano ensembles,
particularly and originally from Technics, that expanded chord recognition
to simply include the entire keyboard, all channels, and wherever it spotted a full chord
played it ran the chord change from that.. so guys like me who are bears with
right hand chording could literally play one handed and just easily comp
that first beat of a measure with a quick 4 finger chord

this extended when i added the Roland Vocalizer/Harmonizer keyboard into
the demo stuff when i was showcasing the FR7/3 waaay back when, because
it also allowed me to trigger the vocal harmony in real time from the right hand
of the FR3.. i mean i literally had (virtual) Statler Brothers doing "Delta Dawn" with
me and Manhattan Transfer on "Straighten up and Fly Right" and
"I only have Eyes for You" no-one could believe it was just one guy with an
Accordion and Roland gear and a Shure Mic

but if i had to trigger this stuff with un-natural left hand chording, there's
no way i could have been smooth

so using a live background setup bear that in mind.. you will have
to compromise your years of natural motion and timing to do it

for at home on-the-cheap there are still a LOT of old floppy-disk
Korg and Roland ensemble type keyboards out there that you can
live play full chords and trigger the backgrounds, so if you pick up
a ix-300 or a PA series or an i5m-odule for a hundred bucks you can
experiment with how chord recognition actually works with
the rhythm going along and the background comping behind you
on the fly.. hey there are so many patterns on those old units and
a lot of them are very very good with several breaks and drum variations
intro's and endings.. i can make the Gypsy Kings jump right out of a Korg !

once you figure out if it can work for you, then spend the big bucks
on the piece of hardware or software that will make you happy

actually the new Korg workstations still have alla that stuff and
the i3 is only @ $500 new and used

the issue for me using any chord recognition stuff from Accordion as controller is just that..

except accordion players play the OOM on the first moment,
not the PAahhhhh

so it is fingerus interruptus from normal second nature accordion playing

personally, having worked on occasion in Mall Music stores over the years,
what made the difference for ME was the advent of the Piano ensembles,
particularly and originally from Technics, that expanded chord recognition
to simply include the entire keyboard, all channels, and wherever it spotted a full chord
played it ran the chord change from that.. so guys like me who are bears with
right hand chording could literally play one handed and just easily comp
that first beat of a measure with a quick 4 finger chord

this extended when i added the Roland Vocalizer/Harmonizer keyboard into
the demo stuff when i was showcasing the FR7/3 waaay back when, because
it also allowed me to trigger the vocal harmony in real time from the right hand
of the FR3.. i mean i literally had (virtual) Statler Brothers doing "Delta Dawn" with
me and Manhattan Transfer on "Straighten up and Fly Right" and
"I only have Eyes for You" no-one could believe it was just one guy with an
Accordion and Roland gear and a Shure Mic

but if i had to trigger this stuff with un-natural left hand chording, there's
no way i could have been smooth

so using a live background setup bear that in mind.. you will have
to compromise your years of natural motion and timing to do it

for at home on-the-cheap there are still a LOT of old floppy-disk
Korg and Roland ensemble type keyboards out there that you can
live play full chords and trigger the backgrounds, so if you pick up
a ix-300 or a PA series or an i5m-odule for a hundred bucks you can
experiment with how chord recognition actually works with
the rhythm going along and the background comping behind you
on the fly.. hey there are so many patterns on those old units and
a lot of them are very very good with several breaks and drum variations
intro's and endings.. i can make the Gypsy Kings jump right out of a Korg !

once you figure out if it can work for you, then spend the big bucks
on the piece of hardware or software that will make you happy

actually the new Korg workstations still have alla that stuff and
the i3 is only @ $500 new and used
True enough, but I still think the software arrangers will be good, and the flexibility to drive them from any midi channel (bass, chord, or treble) will be there. And you will have the ability to “tweak” the backup sounds.

The free ones may not be the answer, but I believe it is a viable technology.

Thanks for comments and suggestions Ventura.
I also am very happy Tom has led me to trying out Giglad. This is much better then OMB and allows loading of all your pc vsts and easily install so many available styles online and make your own. It is great to use with a standard digital piano or keyboard and accordion should not be a problem. There is a 45 day trial where all features are available.

Reactions: Tom

I have a Boss "vocal enhancer" which supposedly works out chords and synthesises a harmony line. But much as you say, it doesn't work until you play a chord. Also it only works for major keys unless you twiddle the settings to manual. It has so much promise but isn't really good enough.

thats the one i use

it differs from the TCHarmonics models i had used in the past when i had
a "Big Band" rack MIDI setup for gigging, in that
it is using your voice only to track the pitch, not sample and
extrapolate the harmony notes from your voice

the Roland was a big step forward as the formants (voices) are
pre-installed and so the harmony voices are distinctly different
from each other in the chord and sound truly natural

a later version, the 770, and one tabletop, the VP7 were also
available for awhile. I do not know if there is anything current
in the series still being produced

my setup uses twin Vocal mics on an angle so i can simply
slide my voice across from "solo" to "processed" for a more
natural (for me) live performance feel

the harmonies are truly instantaneous.. no lag whatsoever..
i always trigger from my right hand chords..

so my Roland demo "kit" was a VK8m Drawbar unit, the VP-550, small Roland digital
audio mixer, CME wireless, and ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL
(oops) i mean a white FR3 to control them all..
(as well as the red or black FR7 they sent around with me to promote)
There were no "internal" drawbars back then
yet enabled on the original V-accordion models, so i basically
turned the FR3 into a Cordovox plus crazy good Vocals giggable setup

Last edited:
Sounds like the situation that would prompt you to get a "vocal enhancer" in the first place.

Harsh! ;-) I actually bought it for the looper, and guitar pre-amp, EQ, chorus, etc. all in one tidy package - my vocals don't need autotune! But the manufacturer's demo showed it voice-doubling, or generating a harmony vocal part. Of course the reality fell far short of the promotional video - not much good unless I'm performing "Video Killed the Radio Star". But the guitar effects are good - and it has 99 memories with foot switch so it's to change between different instruments or genres.

Harsh! ;-)
Well, you know the old adage "better to lose a friend than the opportunity for a joke". But this was intended to be the "generic you". My first wording was closer to what I was thinking of but I considered beating myself over the head a bit too personal for a forum. It would appear that instead I beat you over the head. Certainly not my intent; I probably should have spent some more time brooding over the wording.

Back