• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

One bass button half-way down

Status
Not open for further replies.

cool98555

Reaction score
I have a 120 bass accordion with the very top button on the bass closest to the bellows (D) that is halfway down, and looks like it is slightly bent forward. I can still press the button down and it comes back up to its original 1/2 up position, and it doesn't play a sound when not pressed. Is this an easy fix? Do I try to bend the button so it is straight and comes back up all the way like all the other 119 buttons? When I look at the bass mechanism with the bass plate removed, it is really hard to fit something back there to try to bend it back in place. Should I try to fix it (if possible), or just leave it? No other button on the bass section is having this issue at all.

This is not hard to fix with the right tools and experience. It's a bit harder when the button is hard to reach on the inside as it may require partial disassembly of the bass mechanism (not really hard but a precise and time consuming job). The button should be straightened by bending the "piston" inside, not by trying to bend using the plastic (celluloid) button top which may break.

Sounds like you have a typical Italian design bass machine. The bass note pistons are the longest pistons in your bass machine and
you have one that has been bent. To correctly reach your bent counterbass button and straighten it you just might need some
disassembly. To start your fix please read here before any attempt is made ---

If you feel the repair is above your skill level by all means take the accordion to an accordion repair shop. An accordion tech with the
correct tools can provide a fix in a short amount of time.

The button's push rod is buried under 5 rows of other rods...
Since it's not a button that you likely use often, I would leave it alone. :)

The button's push rod is buried under 5 rows of other rods...
Since it's not a button that you likely use often, I would leave it alone. :)
Exactly what I was thinking except I recalled that old vaudeville routine:

Man: Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I do that!
Doctor: …Don’t do that!

Exactly what I was thinking except I recalled that old vaudeville routine:

Man: Doctor Doctor, it hurts when I do that!
Doctor: …Don’t do that!
Patient: Doctor, when I touch my nose it hurts, and when I touch my knee it hurts.
Doctor: Your finger is broken!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back