• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Newbie looking for my first accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m a newbie looking for a recommendation for my first accordion, I love the French and Scottish sound so I guess I would want to get one with the musette sound. I’m concerned about the size and weight of a 120 bass model and wondering if I can get one with 72 bass.
im not looking to spend thousand, but get something that will help me on my beginners journey.
Ron

Hi Ron,

I will be offering one of my accordions for sale in the relevant section later today. It is an 80 bass 37 treble Marinucci LMM ( MM tuned approx 20 cents apart at 442Hz, full tuning chart available ). I bought the accordion from Allodi earlier this year and it comes with a 3 year guarantee. I think everybody on this forum would agree that Allodi is the number 1 shop in the UK for accordions! Weight is 8.9kg.

If you are interested the price is £490 ( I paid £640 + postage ) and I could meet you halfway between Stoke and Wirral to save delivery.

Examples of its sound are on these links, one musette and one straight.

https://www.accordionists.info/threads/croquet-musette.7509/

https://www.accordionists.info/threads/the-blue-danube.7576/

More details to follow later today on Accordions for sale section.

The beginners journey can be perilous in the world of squeeze. I'm about 5 years in and have owned around 30. If I knew then what I knew now a few more bucks in the direction of at least 80 bass buttons in decent condition would have been better spent. I had a beautiful 72 bass Hohner Concerto II but found the bass range limiting to the point I had to part ways and get an 80 bass.

MrM,
30 in 5 years?
Must be a record!?
All off the internet then??
Pre-purchase inspection in person may have helped?

MrM,
30 in 5 years?
Must be a record!?
I also think that this number might be little on the higher side because I've owned 5 in 55 years. You tend to overspend when you don't know what you need and what will satisfy you musically. I can't afford to lose money on accordions so I did a lot of research before purchasing in order to remain happy with my choice.

MrM,
30 in 5 years?
Must be a record!?

I also think that this number might be little on the higher side because I've owned 5 in 55 years. You tend to overspend when you don't know what you need and what will satisfy you musically. I can't afford to lose money on accordions so I did a lot of research before purchasing in order to remain happy with my choice.
I wouldn't call it anything other than I have heavily invested into this realm in the past five years and have come out very well ahead in all aspects. In fact, I have made this my business, and business has been very good. The level of experience has certainly been voluminous and probably thus beneficial to someone as a beginner starting out. There are many reasons for having owned as many as I have, and none of them have had anything to do with spending a LOT of money on them ;).

The OP (Ron!) has concerns about size and weight and was wondering about a 72, without spending thousands. If wirralaccordions unit is in good nic, I would highly recommend jumping on that. If the OP was in my neck of the woods, you would very rarely see something with that configuration, in fact, I never have. Regardless, it seems to fit the bill very well, without being as limiting as a 72.

There are a number of nice accordions I would like that I have researched online, but with respect to the OP, I do believe they fall outside of the financial feasibility range as well - and you certainly are not going to be pre purchase inspecting those!

No disrespect intended ?, and good luck Ron!

From the above post "you would very rarely see something with that configuration"

I should have mentioned that by omitting the bottom note of the tonic the 5th row of bass buttons doubles up for use as either the dominant seventh or the diminished chord, thus giving the equivalent of a 96 bass accordion with a lower weight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back