• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Newbie in need of advice please

JulesMartin

Reaction score
Hello, In my late sixties now in the past I have played a variety of instruments and can read music. I'm currently learning the saxophone. We recently decided to clear out the loft to add more insulation and new boards. At the back of the loft I found an accordion in a suitcase. It is, and here I expose my complete ignorance of the instrument using terms I've picked up as a guest here, a 12 bass Firotti (black with pearl keys). It belonged, we think to my wifes great grandmother who came over from Germany before the second world war. It makes a noise on all the keys but also makes a noise when opening the bellows with no keys down, I'm not sure this is right. Research tells me its worth nothing but having survived a war and many years in our loft I feel I owe it to try and resurrect it. I believe Firotti are a subsidiary of Weltmeister but other than that I wonder if anybody could help me out with some advice or historical knowledge. I understand a 12 bass is a limited instrument but then again so am I! Any help would be most appreciated.

"Making a noise when opening the bellow with no keys down" likely means that the pallet paddings (made of felt) have been visited by carpet beetles or cloth moths. That means they need replacement. At its age, the reed valves may be leather. They will more likely than not have hardened and curled, needing replacement. The bellows are cardboard, not particularly sympathetic to humid environments.

The instrument will likely serve an aspiring accordion mechanic longer than an aspiring accordion player. Nothing wrong with that: many players know less about their instruments' internals than desirable, so getting a headstart with a project that is more of sentimental than musical value will be a good idea.

Try Martyn White

He does a lot with old Hohners.

Many thanks Dak and dunlustin for your suggestions and encouragement. I may well become an accordion mechanic before player having had my appetite wetted by your responses. Time will tell, but thanks again for your response

Hi Jules and welcome to the forum.
You will find all the advice you need here.
I am also in Essex, near Romford, and if you would like me to pop over and we could open up your box to see the condition inside, I would be very happy to do so. Just send me a PM if this interests you.
I have opened up quite a few of my own boxes to do minor repairs (and put them back again!!)
kind regards, Ian

Back