• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New here, got my first Accordion yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roctherock

Reaction score
Hello I just got my first accordion yesterday, its a Red Hohner Hohnica 1305-Red 72 Bass 34 key Entry level Piano Accordion I LOVE IT

But theres something I'm a bit worried about and since I've never had one I'm not sure before.

When I press the air button and pull it's letting out sound is this normal for this accordion, because other accordions I saw on Youtube just let out air and no musical sound. Is there a fix for this or do I need to replace the accordion entirely?

If there are videos or pictures to help please send me

Hi there. Welcome to the forum.

Indeed it should not make a sound when the air button is used. I guess everything is fixable but is it worth the effort. Whilst playing I guess you don’t use the air button, so for learning it isn’t an issue. For performance it may distract from your calm visage, but I assume as a beginner you will not be going on stage any time soon. Have you identified what note or notes the air button played when you use it?

First of all, there is no such thing as a "Hohner Hohnica". An accordion can be a Hohner (German brand, lower end accordions now built in China) or a Hohnica (German design but not a Hohner, also built in China).
It is normal for the air button to make a sound, but it should the sound of wind, not a musical note. If it makes the sound of a note then I would expect that note to also sound when you pull without pushing any button.
Too bad you did not come to this discussion forum *before* buying an accordion. We would have advised against getting any chinese accordion.

Thank you for the reply,

@Glenn
I checked an online tuner and its registering as F#

@debra
Sorry for mistyping that I was just copying what the website was calling it, and I wasn't aware this could be an issue before coming here, my hope now is to fix this issue. If you have any suggestions as to where to go from here please let me know.

That's slightly incorrect, it is a beginner line from Hohner but not under their own Hohner brand.

Does it only make that sound when the air button is pressed down? If it is making a noise whilst playing then you have an issue.

1596417989170.png

Last edited:
Of course if it is brand new then it has to be fixed or better replaced under guarantee.

Hi Roc,

A warm welcome to the forum, where I hope you will be happy.

Your new instrument is definitely Chinese in origin, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Chinese accordions adequately fulfil the requirements of many folk musicians, and are reasonably priced for those who are dipping their toes into a very expensive pastime.

You may wish to trade up to a better instrument at some time in the future, but you will be fine with the one you have for now. The next few years should be all about learning and practice, and you don't need a top of the range box for that.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Roctherock and Welcome;
The issue of a note sounding without being pressed is a problem that will not fix itself. Even if you have the knowledge to fix it yourself this situation should be addressed to the seller for repair or replacement.
If you had enquired here (before your purchase) my response would be considered by some "Negative".

Since you now have purchased the instrument, my response will have to echo a previous post and also the advice given to "Thumper" --

Last edited:
Welcome, Roc!
One of the recent discussions here was about LEARNING on even a table top or a keyboard that makes no sound. You’re way ahead of that with your Hohnica. A true musician can make music with a tub and a spoon. You’re hearing from my friends, all good and true, on this forum, who want you to have the best experience and skip the unnecessary difficulties through their good advice. LEARNING is a long journey and part of the joy of it with accordions is LEARNING about the history of the instrument, about makers, about what a really good accordion is. But the main thing, as my friend Hawkins says, is to enjoy playing the little beasts.
If you bought it new, get it replaced. If not, enjoy it and LEARN. Chances are very high you’ll eventually get a different one someday. But now, you have an accordion! What a great thing.

Last edited:
That's slightly incorrect, it is a beginner line from Hohner but not under their own Hohner brand.

That's always been my understanding... that Honica is a budget "second label" for Hohner, sort of as Squire is for Fender guitars, or Carraudes de Lafite is for Chateau Lafite wine.

Anyway, yes, the OP should send the thing back if it is still returnable. There is probably a stuck-open something somewhere that's causing that note to sound. That's not acceptable in a newly-purchased instrument.

I'd guess that it makes the same noise when playing, but its masked by the other notes and not as noticable as when you're just pressing the air button.

Oh, and if it's not returnable or under warranty I'd advise getting out some screwdrivers and trying to fix it yourself if you're in any way mechanically inclined. It might very well be something simple, and in any case you probably won't make things worse!

Oh, and if it's not returnable or under warranty I'd advise getting out some screwdrivers and trying to fix it yourself if you're in any way mechanically inclined. It might very well be something simple, and in any case you probably won't make things worse!
Indeed. Think positive. This could be the start of a new occupation repairing accordions:D

Hi Again Roc,

From your description of the problem, it seems that the only thing wrong with your box is the air button not functioning as it should. Though this fault would doubtless cause a great gnashing of teeth with some people, I consider it to be a trivial matter.

A very dear friend of mine (a professional musician) used a Chinese made "Chanson" on stage. He made some great music with that Chinese box, which proves Eddy's contention that a good musician can make anything sound good. My friend now uses a Bugari on stage, but his old Chanson is still making decent music. I know that because I bought it from him four years ago, and I still play it regularly.

You have come to a brilliant place for advice about accordions, but you MUST put that advice into perspective. The type and make of instrument you buy should be determined only by your needs and budget; not by what suits the needs or aspirations of others.

With that firmly in mind, I offer no advice about what you should or shouldn't buy, except to say that we all march to the beat of a different drum. The little box you have bought would be perfect in a Folk Club, and you should be able to bang out a fair range of popular tunes. If you aspire to more than that, you should consider another box (after you have mastered this one.)

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Can't help with the air button problem (I have a husband to fix that kind of thing) - all I'm going to say is: Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the fabulous world of accordion playing!
I started on a cheap Chinese instrument too, just to see if I could play and would want to continue with it, and then gradually worked my way up via German to Italian ;) Nothing wrong with that.

Hi Roctheroc, another welcome to the forum from me. Best wishes for a load of enjoyable accordion playing. Sounds like you have a very minor glitch to sort out.

You get a note when you open the air button and pull? Do you get a note when you open the air button and squeeze the bellows?

Is that note speaking whenever you play?

There are lots of warnings about not pulling or squeezing the bellows without pressing a button or key but you're not going to hurt your accordion if you do so gently - no more force than you'd use when playing. So, do you get a note when you gently pull or squeeze the bellows without pressing any key or button?

If you do get a note can you listen carefully, or get a helper to listen, and see if the note is coming from the bass end or the treble end. If it is a reed speaking when it shouldn't, press keys and buttons until you can work out which one the note belongs to. "Ping" that button or key by pressing it and drawing your finger off so that it pops quickly back to its resting position.

let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Tom

Well done for taking the first step. A friend of ours plays a Chinese Hohner Bravo and she makes it sound pretty good, and I know a chap who plays a Korean ( "cheaper" Moreschi) box, that sounds pretty good as well. I started with a Baile (chinese) accordion just to see if I could learn. It was absolutely adequate to start with. After awhile you may well start to suffer from IAS, Instrument Aquisition Syndrome, (a serious condition without a cure). and end up with several accordions cluttering the house up! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back