• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Need help with Roland RA-95

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MIArmyBand

Does anyone have experience performing with the Roland RA-95 arranger? I just received mine yesterday and began setting it up with my midi accordion. I have experience with the Orla XM-900DLX and the Roland RA-90, but the Roland RA-95 seems like a different kind of module. I noticed that unlike my RA-90, this newer module doesn't seem to have Upper, Lower, and Bass sound programming. In arranger mode, I can only hear and change the piano key tones but I don't hear my bass or chords. The bass and chords seem to control the styles in the arranger only. In my RA-90, I could program separate sounds for my bass buttons, chord buttons, and piano keys. Is this not possible on my new module? I have only had the module for one day so I am learning how to change the chords in the styles with the bass and chord buttons but I am a very traditional player and would prefer to play bass runs and chord changes as written and the chord intelligence doesn't seem to keep up with my bass and chord changes. I also cannot seem to change the pitch of the keyboard tones. I would like to raise the pitch by an octave so that guitars and woodwinds sound natural. I tend to run out of keyboard in many melodies if I do this manually. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Yes: in the past I've worked the orla models and the RA-50, RA-90, and the RA-95. I've found the RA-90 to be the most user friendly. Do you have the manual ?? If not you can download it from the Roland site. The parameters are different than the RA-90 and while having more features they were not as user friendly as the RA-90. The RA-95 is an old but good unit and now replaced by the BK -- did you do a factory reset ??

Thanks for your reply, Jim D. I was able to download a manual but it is a tough read. Thanks for the advice on the factory reset. I hadn't thought of that. I will play around with it again tonight and see if I can make some progress. Am I right that using the intelligent arranger, I won't have the separate bass and chord midi sounds that I have with my Roland RA-90 and my Orla? I really do like the styles that I hear on the RA-95 and the ability to download additional styles is an attractive feature, too. I wasn't able to do this with my Orla module. I think I will end up liking all three modules for different reasons.

I dont understand why accordionists are so fond of Rolands expensive digital accordions, there is hardly bellows movement if any, because all is electronic and digital.

Why not skip the large accordion case/body and keep the essential, the compact digital electronic boxes?
The Dualo videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Ph11d-eVA

with digital electronic stuff, differences in shapes and bodies of music instruments dont make much sense anymore, only ergonomy matters

No bellows movement ??? watch this --- and this --

watched the video, and yes there is bellows movement in this video.
But these movements arent really necessary to result on a digital accordion

just watch this:
Roland FR-8x Digital Accordion, User Program Mode
or

the time his bellows go from one side to the other, I can order and eat a 4 course dinner at restaurant...

The form and shape of digital accordions are just a memory of acoustic accordions, you can have the exact same effects with digital mini boxes, such as the Dualo and other similar mini devices.

and zero bellows movement here, and the same sound effects as an accordion:

With digital technology there is no direct relation anymore between the action/movement of the player and the sound effect produced by the digital electronic device.

Stephen, do you honestly think tapping a tablet PC with your finger nails is going to be enjoyable and expressive? The modern Roland can be set to use an extravegant bellows movement but expression can be created with a more subtle movement. The choice is with the performer. Give one a go one day. They are different to an acoustic instrument but that's part of the fun. As for size, if you want proper keyboards and buttons and a good amp with speakers etc. Not to mention a top quality case and bellows then these things add weight and size. Enough said.

After spending some time with the instruction manual for the RA-95, I learned how to adjust the keyboard octave: Press "parameter", then press the forward "transpose" arrow until "Trp" appears, then press the "part" arrow (just below the "transpose" arrow buttons) until the word Mid appears in the LCD display. The "Mid" has a strange looking M, more like an upside-down U. Then press the parameter button again. Now the "transpose" arrows will adjust all the keyboard tones up or down up to an octave. The manual was not very helpful and I more or less stumbled on my solution by experimentation.
I am not a Roland V-Accordion owner and I play an acoustic Titano accordion with midi installed. I do find that when playing alternating oom-pah bass in a polka, I confuse the intelligent arranger feature. The alternating bass notes cause an unwanted chord change in the arrangement. I understand now why the RA-95 does not provide midi bass and chord tones, since the arrangement consists of drums, bass, and two additional instruments. The bass notes are already covered in the auto arrangement so I only need to indicate the desired chords with my bass buttons.
This is not ideal for complicated bass parts but I do love the sounds of the arrangements, as well as the ability to load additional styles into the memory of the arranger. I can see that the Roland RA-95 will make a great module for solo performance, with the great back-up band sounds. I will have to get used to limiting my left hand finger work to chord indications that trigger the proper arranger chord changes at the correct time. I think my Orla with it's layered sounds and separate bass and chord tones is much better for playing with other musicians. I don't want to limit my playing to the kind of electronic home organ finger touch systems I remember from the 1980s so I will have to work out how best to use the RA-95.
I see my thread got hijacked somewhat by a dualo/Roland V-Accordion debate but I am hoping my Roland RA-95 transposition instructions may prove useful to someone in the future. I would love to know how other accordionists use the Roland RA-95.

no, just written by someone who has no commercial ties with digital accordions...
In contrary to some others on the forum, who seem to use it more for selling accordions.

The question is, is this an accordionits forum ?
Or a copy of Ebay for accordions?

Can we still give an honest amateur opinion, or is it a sales platform for dealers?

Just ask accordion teachers in conservatories if they use digital Roland accordions or other brands at conservatory?
You'll get a more balanced opinion on digital reedless accordions.

Hello Stephen.
You will know that the thread was started by a member just asking for information about using the RA-95 with a midi accordion and good information and suggestions were provided.

Then you decided to mention the Roland line of V-Accordions and your views about them which, in this thread, are irrelevant to the topic.

Perhaps you should start a new thread for your topic?

hi,
people joining a thread, discussion, or topic , isn't that inherent of a forum on the internet?

That's the difference between internet and intranets.
My topics have also been interfered here with many interventions contradicting my viewpoints. I simply reply with arguments, the best thing to do on a forum.
Supported with documents, video footage, arguments.

Do you prefer an accordionists forum that is dominated only by salesmen, or do you want to invite all sorts of accordionists, professionals, amateurs, teachers, producers, dealers, ...?

Don't you find it odd so little makers and conservatory teachers here on the forum?
The absence of independent, critical accordionists, teachers, ... makes it very convenient for people with commercial and sales interests to have the playground for themselves. It's practical when no outside experts can contra argue. I can understand why little effort is made to invite teachers or experts, they could stand in the way of some with commercial interests...
A good forum makes sure there are not too many ties between moderators / site administrators and some (privileged?) dealers.
Don't you think the accordion public is best served with as many independent voices as possible?

If that is inconvenient sometimes,well that's part of life and growing up. In a mature discussion, one has to be able to criticism, different viewpoints.
You may call that bad manners, I call it freedom and discussion.

I have addressed some of your comment below:

Stephen said:
hi,
people joining a thread, discussion, or topic , isnt that inherent of a forum on the internet? <COLOR color=#0000BF>Yes it is, but in this instance your post had absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Thats the difference between internet and intranets. <COLOR color=#0000BF>No it is not.
My topics have also been interfered here with many interventions contradicting my viewpoints. I simply reply with arguments, the best thing to do on a forum.
Supported with documents, video footage, arguments. <COLOR color=#0000BF>That is called a discussion; what you have done here is to jump into a thread and post something completely unrelated and irrelevant to the subject.

Do you prefer an accordionists forum that is dominated only by salesmen, or do you want to invite all sorts of accordionists, professionals, amateurs, teachers, producers, dealers, ...? <COLOR color=#0000BF>I do not see any domination by salesmen here. Maybe you have information regarding the membership of this forum that I do not.

Dont you find it odd so little makers and conservatory teachers here on the forum? <COLOR color=#0000BF>No, I do not. This forum grows organically, and we have little say in who joins and uses the forum and who does not. If you wish to go and invite some of them to join then feel free to do so.
The absence of independent, critical accordionists, teachers, ... makes it very convenient for people with commercial and sales interests to have the playground for themselves. <COLOR color=#0000BF>Sorry but I think this is complete twaddle. Its practical when no outside experts can contra argue. I can understand why little effort is made to invite teachers or experts, they could stand in the way of some with commercial interests... <COLOR color=#0000BF>Please see note above regarding forum growth.
A good forum makes sure there are not too many ties between moderators / site administrators and some (privileged?) dealers. <COLOR color=#0000BF>This is the comment that I find really offensive. I will refrain from any further comment on this point, otherwise you would really feel the sharp edge of my tongue!
Dont you think the accordion public is best served with as many independent voices as possible? <COLOR color=#0000BF>Yes

If that is inconvenient sometimes,well thats part of life and growing up. In a mature discussion, one has to be able to criticism, different viewpoints. <COLOR color=#0000BF>But your viewpoint expressed here has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the thread.
You may call that bad manners, I call it freedom and discussion. <COLOR color=#0000BF>Your initial post on this thread would be deemed bad mannered as you have added nothing and simply hijacked another members thread with an irrelevant diatribe.

:tup: {} :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back