• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Melodija 4 Row DBA

M

Mullanphy

Found what might be a good deal on Facebook marketplace, but I'd like some input on this before I commit:

Melodija 4 row/15 bass DBA in G/C/Fb. $1200. Used. Looks good in pictures. Several similar 4 row boxes being sold online for $1600 +. One new 3 row for $2500.

YT videos of this style DBA sound really good. Any comments on this one? What might be wrong to be priced below everything else?

Any/all help appreciated.

Attachments

• accordion, melodija 3x3 150.jpg
    accordion, melodija 3x3 150.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 8
Michael,
You, in a couple of years?ðŸĪ”🙂
(Except, this one is a three row)
He has more hair than I have, so probably not ðŸĪŠ

Seems there was a Frankie Spetich who passed away in 2012 at age 88 who was a fairly famous accordionist who played the Steirische Harmonika. I bring him up because he was born and lived in the part of Ohio in which I was raised. He lived in Barberton, OH, and I was born there but was raised a few miles south of Barberton on a small farm.

Michael,
The only caveat I'd make about this lovely instrument is that it's definitely not the standard type used to play Mexican Border Music ðŸŦĒ
Here's more about it:🙂
And more:
Our member, Waldo, is into MBM and has recently researched this genre. I'd be inclined to talk to him 🙂
BTW, There's quite a bit regarding Frankie Spetich on YouTube 🙂

Last edited:
Michael,
The only caveat I'd make about this lovely instrument is that it's definitely not the standard type used to play Mexican Border Music ðŸŦĒ
Here's more about it:🙂
And more:
Our member, Waldo, is into MBM and has recently researched this genre. I'd be inclined to talk to him 🙂
BTW, There's quite a bit regarding Frankie Spetich on YouTube 🙂
YT and Wiki are invaluable resources! I read Waldo's thesis about switching from CBA to DBA and am hoping he has time to weigh in here with some tips on what to look for in this beast and anything that might bring the value down from other similar monsters.

Gotta' ask, though, what is "MBM"?

YT and Wiki are invaluable resources! I read Waldo's thesis about switching from CBA to DBA and am hoping he has time to weigh in here with some tips on what to look for in this beast and anything that might bring the value down from other similar monsters.

Gotta' ask, though, what is "MBM"?
Mexican Border Music!!

Sorry, I don't know anything about this but you may have a typo in that it is G/C/F/B. I agree with Dingo in that it is not usual for MBM, whether that makes a difference is of course up to you.

Well, that one didn't work out. Seller wants cash, and I'm OK with it, but told him I would not bring it first trip because if I didn't want the instrument I did not want to carry around that much money if I wasn't going to spend it. So he calls me a scammer.

But I'd still like some tips for buying used if anyone feels up to it.

Well, that one didn't work out. Seller wants cash, and I'm OK with it, but told him I would not bring it first trip because if I didn't want the instrument I did not want to carry around that much money if I wasn't going to spend it. So he calls me a scammer.

But I'd still like some tips for buying used if anyone feels up to it.
Good move. Buying your first accordion used is difficult because you may not be able to recognize problems. And finding a good repair person is difficult. Best advice is to try to meet someone who knows about accordions that you can take with you to look at your purchase.

Otherwise, a couple things to check out include:

1. Overall appearance. Is it banged up, cracks, missing parts, smell (common), missing bellows tape, etc.

2. Sound. Does it just sound bad.... If you have a good ear, is it out of tune? Are some notes louder than others, or make funny noises.

3. Bellows compression. When you squeeze the bellows (gently please 😉) without notes pushed down, it should not not close easily. Relative, based on experience.

4. Condition of reeds, wax, and "leathers." If you can open the accordion (you should definitely try) check the condition of the reeds, there should be no corrosion, oxidation or rust. The wax should have no cracks or be totally dried out. The leathers should not be curled. Look for missing reeds or leathers. Note that it is normal not to have leathers on 4 or 5 highest pitched (smallest) reeds.

5. Air release valve should work.

6. Bass strap in good condition with adjustment to fit your hand. A lot harder to replace than shoulder straps.

7. Small parts in good shape - strap connections, feet, closing straps, etc.

Hope this helps.

Back