• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Make your own handmade reeds in less than 30 minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morne

Reaction score
Clickbait title aside, theres a Russian guy who built his own garmon and documented a lot of the process. Here are two videos showcasing whats involved in making the reeds by hand.

Treble reeds:

Bass reeds (including the long reed plate itself):

Very good find!
I truly hope I will never need to do this (meaning, I hope I never need to replace a reed in my bayan)!

why is he scoring the strip with the Dremel first to be able to snap it off later, after he has riveted the tongue in the plate?

jozz post_id=63022 time=1537469904 user_id=2600 said:
why is he scoring the strip with the Dremel first to be able to snap it off later, after he has riveted the tongue in the plate?

My guess is it is easier to align/centre the reed when you have that extra material. In the first video from 13:45 when hes riveting, the reed is under the plate. So if you realise it is off-centre, then it is easier to see and adjust with the protruding strip. (Although he does no do that in those videos.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back