• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Lightweight accordion suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the empty post. I started to write on my phone, and my wife needed me.

I'm surprised that nobody suggested this, even though all the previous suggestions were helpful.

Have you looked into reedless accordions? There are some that might offer temporary help until your shoulder can support your current accordion, and most are lighter than their reeded cousins. In looking at reedless, I would rule out those without built-in speakers, because you don't need the additional burden of carrying around an amplifier. Of course, if you are playing for large audiences in large halls, the internal speakers might not provide enough volume, but most reedless models have audio-out jacks so you can connect to the house PA system, perhaps even wirelessly. The additional bonus is that most reedless accordions also have MIDI built in, so you can use the accordion to control another MIDI-equipped sound source.

The biggest hurdle to overcome with reedless accordions is bellows response and feel, but a few hours with the instrument will solve that problem.

Good luck to you whatever you choose.

Alan
Alan,
Please can you give an example of a reedless accordion as I have never heard of them. Maybe if there's one on ebay for example.
Phil

Alan,
Please can you give an example of a reedless accordion as I have never heard of them. Maybe if there's one on ebay for example.
Phil
Reedless accordions are electronic. They create sounds by triggering either sampled sounds or physically-modeled sounds. Some have those sounds stored in chips, with amplification units and speakers also built in. Others connect to a box that serves as a sound generator/power supply and then the sound generator connects to an amplifier. All allow for silent practice via earphones. Many are lighter in weight than acoustic accordions, but some of those require external amplifiers.

Some examples of websites you can go to for examples of reedless accordions:

http://www.musictech-midi.it/eng/digital-accordion/digital-piano-and-chromatic-accordions, and

https://www.roland.com/us/categories/keyboards/v-accordion/

There are others, but these are the ones I am most familiar with. I play a Roland FR-4x. It has 37 treble keys and 120 bass buttons, and is probably the most versatile, but versatility implies complexity and like all reedless accordions, this one comes with a lengthy set of manuals. However, it's also possible to just plug its power adaptor in and start to play it!

Master makes MIDI units to install in acoustic accordions, a flat keyboard, the reedless accordion in the video, and a kind of keytar, which they call a Fisatronica and in the US an AxE-Cordion or an AxE-cord. I have one, and still play it occasionally. I bought it when I was recovering from a total knee replacement because I couldn't put any weight on my left thigh.

I have another suggestion. You might want to post your original message in the Digital and MIDI Accordions forum of this very website! You should get lots of suggestions there.

Last edited:
My little Polka Queen arrived today and I like it very much - it has no flaws, no bad notes, is in tune, and plays as a vintage Italian accordion does :) (I suspected as much from the photos which depicted a very clean instrument). Much louder than my little Paolo S. 32-bass, and much more expressive with its much larger bellows. Pretty nifty little package. $100.

My little Polka Queen arrived today and I like it very much - it has no flaws, no bad notes, is in tune, and plays as a vintage Italian accordion does :) (I suspected as much from the photos which depicted a very clean instrument). Much louder than my little Paolo S. 32-bass, and much more expressive with its much larger bellows. Pretty nifty little package. $100.
Nice! Congratulations! It is good to hear when someone actually has a positive experience buying an accordion on eBay. Shopping for an accordion on eBay has always looked too risky to me, but in this case it seems to have worked out well for you—and with only $100 involved, I suppose the risk was minimal.

I do hope you enjoy it!

Reactions: cat
Thank you. Yes it's risky, but I'm just an economically challenged musician :) Oh, the other thing is that, it's kind of like all the animals at the shelter looking for a home; there are so many good used accordions in the world - waiting to breathe again.

Here's my little box - https://www.ebay.com/itm/164882324174?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

*I might add - there are strategies to minimize risk with online buying. I usually contact the seller and ask them to make a video, providing them with instructions on how to execute playing of all buttons/keys; this way the tuning can be assessed. My inquiries typically elicit the response, "I don't know anything about accordions - this just came from an estate sale." But occasionally you'll get an effort by the seller.

Last edited:
in this case, the extra folds on the Bellows and the depth of the corners
were a good clue that this was worth the risk

but i see no reason why it was suggested to be a Guerrini
which is not important at this point

Avanti made private labels and often copied the Excelsior style grillework

enjoy

Reactions: cat
Ya that was a goofy listing for sure :oops:

I've been after one of those 48-bass Titanos for years, but they don't often come up for sale. Of course there are 48, 72, 80 bass boxes all day long from Bulgaria, but I haven't mustered the courage to chance shipping from overseas.

Last edited:
Yes, I wondered why nobody thus far had mentioned reedless, though even the baby Roland, the FR-1X, weighs 6.5 kilos, as I recollect, so much of a muchness with some of the acoustics suggested above. But it does have 72 basses, and 26 piano keys, as well all the versatility that Alan Sharkis mentions (and then some,,,)
Doug

I wasn't aware of this shop in San Jose.

I'll definitely get in contact with him too.

Thanks!
Hi Aldon. I was curious if you'd checked out Accordion Repair Shop San Jose yet? I can definitely vouch for him. Valdet is my accordion teacher! He has many accordions available, and lots of expertise to make a recommendation based on your needs. I also think he will let you rent to try them out. Definitely a great resource for repairs as well.
I have a 48-bass Hohner Concerto I that I really like. It only weighs about 10 lbs and has M and MM registers. Although the bass only goes from Eb to E (with 7ths and diminished buttons for all), so it might not work for the hymns you want to play. I believe there are 48-bass models with 4 rows of 12 that would give you the full range, although you'd have to get creative for chords beyond major and minor.

The man himself ??
Fascinating stuff!?
Some more:
There's still more, but I'll leave it up to you!?
It certainly gives you some insight into the perils inherent in the buying of a cheaply made instrument ?
When Jim D says some models are junk, you'd better believe it!?
OK, OK, just for you, guys!?

Last edited:
That Weltmeister keyboard is plain nasty.

I like this guy, but I think he's only done those 3 videos.

Hi Dingo,
Valdet was pleased that people enjoyed the videos. He said he wanted to focus on repairs that people could attempt themselves with simple tools they might already have at home. He doesn't have a videographer at the moment, but would like to do more someday.

Olivigus,
Thanks for the update!
So glad you followed through with informing Valdet of his celebrity status.??
I do understand making a video is a major undertaking so, whilst living in hope, won't be expecting too much at present!
All good!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back