• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Arietta 1B 32 key 72 bass (lightweight) accordion

pow

Reaction score
Hello, if I have neglected to introduce myself, I am an older musician in Santa Monica, CA just starting out on accordion. The above is in nice condition and is 30 miles down the road from me in Long Beach. I can't transfer the pics of it at this time. It looks to be in very good condition. I know pics can be very misleading, but the pics are pretty high quality. They are on FB Marketplace. Any comments on this model, and what an acceptable amount of money would be to purchase it? I have read some positive reviews on Youtube. The female owner is asking $525, but she is willing to consider my offer. Thanks!

Welcome Pow! Hohner is a well respected brand, again, playability can be a function of build quality which varies greatly over the brand. This Arietta could be from the 1950s so what are we loooking for?

Thing is, this is a "32/72" which means it has less of a range than the "traditional" 41/120. This may or may not be an issue for you, depending on the music you intend to play. Many people buy these smaller accordions for "strolling" or "busking" due to reduced weight.

For an actual Arietta in immaculent condition, $525 seems a fair place to start your negotiations. Good luck!

Reactions: pow
Thanks Tom. Actually it is a Arietta 1B. Also, I bought a Paolo Soprani from a fellow in Brentwood that was selling his deceased dad's stuff. It is a 78 year old accordion brought back from Europe after WW2. it has quite a story. Partly because of that I want to keep it. I think it sounds pretty good. All the buttons and keys work. The musical vibrations tingling my chest are pretty cool. It has 41 keys and 120 buttons. I 'fear' I may end up with too many accordions like I used to have too many guitars. Bottom line is I need to spend time playing. Obviously, there is no substitute for that.

Thanks Tom. Actually it is a Arietta 1B. Also, I bought a Paolo Soprani from a fellow in Brentwood that was selling his deceased dad's stuff. It is a 78 year old accordion brought back from Europe after WW2. it has quite a story. Partly because of that I want to keep it. I think it sounds pretty good. All the buttons and keys work. The musical vibrations tingling my chest are pretty cool. It has 41 keys and 120 buttons. I 'fear' I may end up with too many accordions like I used to have too many guitars. Bottom line is I need to spend time playing. Obviously, there is no substitute for that.
Ah, sorry, so a chromatic button? Anyway, glad you found one you like!!!! I don't remember having a Paolo Soprani, although I may have. Anyway, a good brand and I hope you get wonderful satisfaction from it! Yes, you will eventually acquire more, but it's the nature of being a musician. Let us know how it goes!

Hi Pow, welcome. There are inquiries like yours every week on this forum. Unfortunately, it is impossible for anyone to say if a particular used accordion is a good buy, especially one that is decades old. Only general statements about the reputation of a brand and model can be made. The one for sale could be a great beginner's accordion, or it could be an accordion shaped object needing a lot of repairs. If it looks nice on the outside, that is a good sign, but not sufficient. Old accordions that are not maintained can develop lots of leaks, go out of tune, have mold damage, and various mechanical problems. The seller may not play and could have no idea. The only way to tell is to spend some time playing it. If you don't know what to look for, search the web for advice on buying used accordions. Below is a link to one video. Good luck.

Last edited:
I bought the Hohner Arita 1B. It is beautiful and is in excellent condition. I really like the "vibe" and feel of it, and it was owned by an old Cuban man. I believe it is a very good find. I would have to research, but I would guess it is at least 50 years old or more, but it is close to immaculate. Thanks for the comments.

Back