• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Small, lightweight accordion for singing accompaniment?

EuroFolker

Reaction score
Question for members who occasionally accompany their singing efforts with an accordion (like the guy with a Roland FR1x in the video below)

- do you find that a smaller size accordion works better for that purpose because it is less "overpowering"? In terms of size and weight, and / or volume.

If a smaller accordion is indeed better suited for that purpose, what would be some current production acoustic accordions that are a similar form factor to FR1x?

26 keys or a few more, 72 bass. If so, any ones with 4 sets of reeds? While still relatively lightweight.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

I wouldn't go for more than a 2-voice MM setup on the treble side if your only use will be backup to singing. Different of course if you plan to play it in a variety of styles not singing. Yes, I'd go smaller for this use case--see Martyn Jacques of the Tiger Lillies, for instance. 26 keys or 30. There are vintage MM Hohners in 26 and 34-key versions, and some vintage small Italian MMs, though not as plentiful as the MM Hohners. New there are small MM Weltmeisters in 26 and 30-key models. The Chinese made Hohner Bravo II 48 is also quite playable, though the parts and components are kinda flimsy.

Back