• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Lightweight accordion suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldon

Reaction score
I am looking for a piano accordion that comes close to these specs:

- lightweight (This is a must because of frequent back spasms)
- 25 or more piano keys (small keys are preferred)
- 48 or more buttons (more is preferred. I'd like to be able to play hymns in Ab and Db.)
- good quality reeds and mechanics

What makes and models would you suggest?

I have a 120 bass Weltmeister that has been sitting unused for years. It has been calling to me to play it, but I'm afraid to even pick it up because of its weight and fear of my back spasming.

For the last year or so I've compromised by playing melodica, but really miss the sound of the musette/wet tuning.

I live about an hour away from Smythe's Accordions (that's where I bought the Weltmeister) and do plan on contacting him at some point, but wanted to hear from other players first.

Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Thank you!
Aldon Sanders

Accordions have become less heavy as construction methods have evolved.
For instance, a Bugari Juniorfisa Nemo II has 32 notes, 72 basses and comes in at 6.5kg.
A Pigini Peter Pan piano, with convertor, has 34 notes, 72 basses and comes in t 6.1kg.
(A Preludio P30 without convertor, 30 notes and 72 bass is not lighter, at 6.2kg.)
A Victoria Primo with 26 notes and 48 bass is 5,8kg.
But... you should not just focus on weight, but also on size. An accordion must "fit" properly. A slightly larger and heavier accordion that is a better, more comfortable fit can be much easier and more comfortable to play than the smallest, lightest accordion you can find.

Aldon,
Have you considered a youth's/ladies' model (17 inch keyboard), 41/120, three reeds two treble couplers, one or no bass coupler: reasonably light and all you need ?
They come in LMH and LMM ( used). Various makers. ( I have two different models by Sonola, LMH & LMM)?
You may even find a two-reed musette tuned model?

Last edited:
Speak of the Devil!
Here's something from Smythe's online inventory, today:
( Its two-reed)
1622188463369.jpeg

Yet another contender from Smythe's: they claim its the lightest 72 bass model made! (Musette tuning. In stock)??
1622188868133.jpeg

I have an old ladies size Settimio Soprani 80 bass//34 key box I bought just for fun. It's much harder to play than my full size boxes because it really needs a back strap, even when sitting down so it does not fit me that well, and it needs a LOT of pumping to play because of the much smaller bellows. I only payed a couple of hundred dollars for it so none of those things really bother me, I was just interested to see if could actually play a really small box but it does highlight the need to correctly size the box your your body.

Smythe's has a lot of smaller instruments on their website. I would certainly take a ride out there. I think you should be able to find something with everything you want.

OP here.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

It's good to know that there are several options out there that will suit my needs.

I do understand about a getting an accordion that fits my body, but the real problem for me is picking up and putting the instrument down. If I had someone who'd put the accordion in my lap and take it off of my lap whenever I played I wouldn't have a problem. Alas, that is not my situation, thus my query here.

I just learned that Smythe's has moved farther north to Pinole so it's an hour and a half away from me now instead of an hour. Now I must go to see the new shop!

Thanks again! Your suggestions are very helpful!

Aldon

Yet another option is a stand which supports the accordion in a playing position.
Such as this:
And here:
While I have seen stands employed successfully, they do introduce their own problems , as this clip suggests ?
Ah well, life wasn't meant to be easy!?

Last edited:
Hello @Aldon,

Have you contacted the owner of this ad: Accordion - San Jose ? He's local to you, and may have something that meets your needs.

I don't know him, except for his ads on Craiglist. But I have an accordion that needs a tune-up, and plan to bring it to him when I have a chance.

Yet another option is a stand which supports the accordion in a playing position.
Such as this:
And here:
While I have seen stands employed successfully, they do introduce their own problems , as this clip suggests ?
Ah well, life wasn't meant to be easy!?

I get what you're saying - it's a great idea on paper, but it does squirrel around on the bellows push! And the price on the stand in the first link is very dear!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hello @Aldon,

Have you contacted the owner of this ad: Accordion - San Jose ? He's local to you, and may have something that meets your needs.

I don't know him, except for his ads on Craiglist. But I have an accordion that needs a tune-up, and plan to bring it to him when I have a chance.

I wasn't aware of this shop in San Jose.

I'll definitely get in contact with him too.

Thanks!

I wasn't aware of this shop in San Jose.

I'll definitely get in contact with him too.

Thanks!
Hello Aldon. I can relate to the challenge of ‘picking up & putting down’ a heavy accordion.

After shoulder surgery I am very aware of a weakness in that area, so my husband has made a table to the exact dimension/ height for my needs, & it is placed conveniently next to my chair.

The accordion will now slide back & forth onto my lap with ease.

You might want to experiment with this idea & adapt it to suit to suit your requirements; if this idea works for you, you may not need to change instruments at all, maybe you will be able play for a shorter period of time & take a rest when you feel the twinges coming on.

Hello Aldon. I can relate to the challenge of ‘picking up & putting down’ a heavy accordion.

After shoulder surgery I am very aware of a weakness in that area, so my husband has made a table to the exact dimension/ height for my needs, & it is placed conveniently next to my chair.

The accordion will now slide back & forth onto my lap with ease.

You might want to experiment with this idea & adapt it to suit to suit your requirements; if this idea works for you, you may not need to change instruments at all, maybe you will be able play for a shorter period of time & take a rest when you feel the twinges coming on.

An excellent suggestion Happy girl!

Before the spasms got worse I used to set the accordion on an old reclining chair when I wasn't playing it that was at a height that didn't tweak my back. The recliner is long gone, but I should be able to find something high enough to work for now while I'm home.

I'd still like to find a solution that will allow me to play outside the home though.

Your suggestion should work well in the mean time!

Thank you!

Aldon

I prefer smaller accordions too. I play mostly standing (it's one reason why I took up playing accrdn). I had a 72-bass hohner I liked, but the keyboard grew too small for me. I haven't been able to get hold of another 72 bass, so I make do with a 48 bass Delicia - which has fuller-sized keys and a lovely bass end. It's very much quieter than my larger accrdns however.

I just got another off ebay - actually, a 54-bass - Polka Queen (seller listed it as a Guerrini polka king, so who knows! :rolleyes: -be interesting to see what it is ).

Last edited:
Here's another option:
34/72, only 15lbs?
In red:
One more example: just to show it's not what you play, it's how you play it!??

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

- 48 or more buttons (more is preferred. I'd like to be able to play hymns in Ab and Db.)

I have a 120 bass Weltmeister that has been sitting unused for years. It has been calling to me to play it, but I'm afraid to even pick it up because of its weight and fear of my back spasming.

For the last year or so I've compromised by playing melodica, but really miss the sound of the musette/wet tuning.

I live about an hour away from Smythe's Accordions (that's where I bought the Weltmeister) and do plan on contacting him at some point, but wanted to hear from other players first.

Thank you!
Aldon San

Thank you!
Aldon Sanders

Sorry about the empty post. I started to write on my phone, and my wife needed me.

I'm surprised that nobody suggested this, even though all the previous suggestions were helpful.

Have you looked into reedless accordions? There are some that might offer temporary help until your shoulder can support your current accordion, and most are lighter than their reeded cousins. In looking at reedless, I would rule out those without built-in speakers, because you don't need the additional burden of carrying around an amplifier. Of course, if you are playing for large audiences in large halls, the internal speakers might not provide enough volume, but most reedless models have audio-out jacks so you can connect to the house PA system, perhaps even wirelessly. The additional bonus is that most reedless accordions also have MIDI built in, so you can use the accordion to control another MIDI-equipped sound source.

The biggest hurdle to overcome with reedless accordions is bellows response and feel, but a few hours with the instrument will solve that problem.

Good luck to you whatever you choose.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back