• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

In the market for something else

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Tom lived near to me I would break in and steal his Pietanesi - I thought, from his video, it had a beautiful sound.

I would never have considered buying in that way. At the moment I still don't know if a 96 bass will be too tall for me (or even a 120) so think I must at least go and find that out by trying some, but I will explore the Castelfidardo website further. Thank you for the suggestion.

Oh, and by the way, I loved the colour - probably my favourite.

Interesting, I havent seen this outlet. Thats the same Piatanesi that I just bought new about a year ago. It was a private sale directly from Mr. Piatanesi so I wont quote the price here, just let it be known that the one John linked is priced pretty good. You can hear it on my youtube here:

(aside: wow, not that good, I really need to update my videos. Also, just taken with my phone so not such great fidelity.)

Anyway, it may not be a Scandalli Super 7 with all those bells and whistles but I love my Piatanesi(s). Like John says, they are a great hand made Italian accordion for a great price. They are very popular among the pros in Brazil, I dont know about Europe. Everyone says mine sound and look great. I dont argue. PM me if you want more info.

Bella said:
If Tom lived near to me I would break in and steal his Pietanesi - I thought, from his video, it had a beautiful sound.

I would never have considered buying in that way. At the moment I still don't know if a 96 bass will be too tall for me (or even a 120) so think I must at least go and find that out by trying some, but I will explore the Castelfidardo website further. Thank you for the suggestion.

Oh, and by the way, I loved the colour - probably my favourite.

Hi,

I almost bought a Mengascini CBA from them a year or two back. A superb instrument for less than €2000, but I ended up buying an old Cavagnolo locally for £1000. 

I believe some of the boxes they sell are cancelled orders, and that's why they do them so cheap. They are probably just  trying to cover the cost of the cancelled order, and will normally have secured a substantial non-returnable deposit from the buyer who never completed the deal. 

People like me who play CBAs forget about all of the size differences and weight issues regarding PAs. 

A lot of diminutive players, both male and female, have no trouble at all with even the most cumbersome of CBAs, as the bodies are very much shorter in depth than most PAs. 

I'm sure you'll get something that suits without having to import it. A choice of one is often a poor choice indeed.

I've just sent them a message asking about shipping costs. It's not a decision to buy, but it is a 'seriously interested'.

Bella said:
I've just sent them a message asking about shipping costs. It's not a decision to buy, but it is a 'seriously interested'.

Bella,

Somebody on here was contemplating a purchase about the same time I was considering the Mengascini, and at least two members had personal experience of dealing with them, with a recommend.  

FWIW I clicked to put the accordion in the basket on their site and was able to put two in the basket. 

Perhaps there are several for sale. The grille on the Paolo the guy plays is different, but the bass side on it looks near enough the same as the Pietanesi. You may be aware that the makers in Castelfidardo often work in small cooperatives using the same components, so you could effectively have two accordions with the same inner workings, but different cases and logos on them. 

That would appear to be the case here, and perhaps Paolo Soprani and Pietanesi are part of such a cooperative. I don't know but don't be afraid to ask more questions. I would imagine somebody at the outlet will speak English. One of the big questions I would ask of a newish accordion for that price would be: "Can you tell me if the instrument was made in Castelfidardo, or elsewhere?" The reason for that is they supply new budget instruments branded as "Elena Soprani" and it is my understanding they are either partly manufactured and/or assembled in Asia. Tom may be able to advise you further on that one, as he had personal contact with Mr. Pietanesi.

To the best of my knowledge Pietanesi is a 100% Italian make, but it's probably wise to make enquiry there.

Tom,

Your box sounds OK on your phone. We all tend to be hypercritical of ourselves and our instruments.

I tried posting myself on here on audio only a few years back. I must be the only guy in the world who gets stage fright when I press the record button! I never repeated the exercise.

Hi John and Bella, I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Soprani instruments, but as far as I know, the Piatanesi are fully made in Castelfidardo.

Actually John, I'm no different, the first 200 takes are always almost as good as the final! Only JerryPH and a few of the others can nail it the first time without practicing.

Thank you Maugein, depending on what they say about shipping costs, I will ask further questions.

I really appreciate everybody's help on this.

Edited to add - just took another look at the site, and realised that the accordion pictured for sale is not the same one being played in the video. The pictured instrument is labelled Piatanesi, the video one Paolo Soprano. Actually, it wasn't that which I noticed first, but one has blue bellows and the other red. Have asked questions!

Yea, wierd.  Seems like they put the wrong video with the Piatanesi for sale.   I don't think there is a connection, suspect just wrong video.   Maybe they don't have a video of the Piatanesi.

Of course, let it be said that I in no way intend to disparage the retailers in any way.  You are getting the service of being able to try the accordions and can bring your instrument back if you ever need service, or want to trade up.  Even to get face to face advice.  For this it is fair to pay more for each instrument.   But if price is a significant issue, or if, like me, there are no decent retailers within 2 or 3 states (if that) buying direct is the only way to go.

Tom said:
Of course, let it be said that I in no way intend to disparage the retailers in any way.  You are getting the service of being able to try the accordions and can bring your instrument back if you ever need service, or want to trade up.  Even to get face to face advice.  For this it is fair to pay more for each instrument.   But if price is a significant issue, or if, like me, there are no decent retailers within 2 or 3 states (if that) buying direct is the only way to go.

A very valid statement in general. However, the premium you pay for being able to try the accordions and get warranty repair varies greatly between retailers. Some list high prices, then seemingly give you a truly fair bit of money for a trade-in and the net sum you end up paying ends up still higher than what you pay at another retailer without any trade-in. The dealer I have always dealt with asks very reasonable prices (compared to others) and for that they even drive to Castelfidardo to pick up instruments so as to not risk any transport damage. Others ask a lot more and get the accordions shipped from the factories... More so than with many other instruments it really pays to do your homework and compare retailers. But of course I am in the luxury situation that there are many accordion dealers within 2 or 3 hours drive. If there are none or just one then that advice is a moot point...

It's the argument I used when selling driving lessons. 40 or 50 years of instant mobility for the about the weekly cost of a Mars bar. Didn't seem to work when the client didn't have the money though! Good deals and great instruments are out there.
When I bought my Vignoni 3 or 4 years ago I found I could justify to myself spending £3.5K for a 34/96 but I couldn't justify £5K+ for the double cassotto model. The "regular" 34/96 turned out to be perfect for me.

Tom said:
Yea, wierd.  Seems like they put the wrong video with the Piatanesi for sale.   I don't think there is a connection, suspect just wrong video.   Maybe they don't have a video of the Piatanesi.

Bella/Tom,

If you look at the bass couplers on the Paolo you'll see they are identical to that on the Pietanesi. I made the assumption that the demo video suggested the two accordions were so alike in construction, that the demo of one would suffice for the other. In hindsight it doesn't inspire confidence in the buyer, who wants to hear the actual instrument on sale. 

The 5 year guarantee is great, although there could be issues with sending to and from Italy when we leave the EU. UK customs officials are notorious for insisting on proof of purchase in the UK, before they will allow musical instruments back into the country, and that is difficult when you aren't bringing it back personally. There will probably be a way around that, but we won't know until the day dawns and the chain goes across the Channel. 

That is something else that may require some thought. Chances are that you'd never need to use the guarantee, but there is always a chance you might, however slim.

[size=small]John,[/size]
[size=small]"Chances are that you'd never need to use the guarantee, but there is always a chance you might, however slim."[/size]

Very true!

I purchased a Bugari champion cassotto PA 120/41 optional musette  , new.
After about 18 month the "optional musette " coupler mechanism suddenly packed up.
It was repaired free of charge under warranty by the dealer.

However, almost thirty years later, it packed up again!
No warranty this time!
It took my amazing repairman five months of calling in favours from his contacts of 50 years in the business  to have a set of replacement parts sent out from Castel Fidardo and to then install them.

This time, it cost me $A500-00

The "funny " thing is, as I understand it, what needed replacing was about the only plastic component in the instrument.

Even then, they weren't making them as they used to! :(

Having gone to all this trouble, my repairman had the foresight to order two sets ( one against the day...) :)

Dingo40 said:
[size=small]John,[/size]
[size=small]"Chances are that you'd never need to use the guarantee, but there is always a chance you might, however slim."[/size]

Very true!

I purchased a Bugari champion cassotto PA 120/41 optional musette  , new.
After about 18 month the "optional musette " coupler mechanism suddenly packed up.
It was repaired free of charge under warranty by the dealer.

However, almost thirty years later, it packed up again!
No warranty this time!
It took my amazing repairman five months of calling in favours from his contacts of 50 years in the business  to have a set of replacement parts sent out from Castel Fidardo and to then install them.

This time, it cost me $A500-00

The "funny " thing is, as I understand it, what needed replacing was about the only plastic component in the instrument.

Even then, they weren't making them as they used to! :(

Having gone to all this trouble, my repairman had the foresight to order two sets ( one against the day...) :)

Hi Dingo, 

Sounds pretty typical of some people's luck. 

My Irish grandfather wallpapered his living room, and my mother, who was also Irish, commented on how nice it was. She decided to order some rolls of wallpaper of the same pattern and reckoned our living room was about the same size as his. She asked him how many rolls he had bought and he said "seven". 

After finishing the living room, my mother discovered she had two rolls left over. Next time she saw my grandfather she declared the fact that she had ended up with two surplus rolls. He looked up from his paper and said "That's funny, I had two rolls left as well!"

(Two against the day perhaps?) 

Don't worry, it never happened. It's an old Irish joke!

Good one John! I could fly to Castelfidardo in less time than driving to Liberty Bellows, probably the closest full scale accordion place here. And it would be more fun!

Did try ringing them an hour ago - no English speakers sadly. I can count in Italian, order a coffee and ask where the toilet is, none of it much use for asking about accordions. So have emailed instead, at their suggestion.

Tom - I did PM you with a couple of questions.

Bella said:
Did try ringing them an hour ago - no English speakers sadly. I can count in Italian, order a coffee and ask where the toilet is, none of it much use for asking about accordions. So have emailed instead, at their suggestion.

Tom - I did PM you with a couple of questions.

I've been in Castelfidardo a number of times, for taking courses and buying parts and other materials. You don't get very far without some knowledge of Italian (more than counting and ordering a coffee) so I am glad I started learning Italian 7 years ago. Email is still easier, even for me, but a bit of knowledge of Italian helps to see whether Google Translate is turning  English into Italian or into rubbish consisting of Italian words...

How did you find getting to Castelfidardo, Paul? Did you fly to Ancona and rent a car?

You can get bus from airport to ancona central station then change bus for Castelfidardo... Cheap and easy... Taxis extreme expensive 100euro

Tom said:
How did you find getting to Castelfidardo, Paul?  Did you fly to Ancona and rent a car?

Tom,

If I was going to buy an accordion I'd take the car from Birmingham, UK. 

1200 miles, 19 1/2 hours, no problem for a young guy like me. After 31st January it will still be 1200 miles, but could take 19 1/2 days to clear all the customs checks. 

Paul is about 300 miles closer than I am and about 5 hours quicker.

If I was going to Italy for any other reason then I'd fly (preferably in a reliable aeroplane).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back