• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The Second Hand Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

artelagro

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Although I am not looking for another box just now, I like to keep an eye on the small ads and Ebay sales but have never seen so little interest in accordions. What is happening?
In the UK, Ebay have lumped our boxes in with penny whistles, moothies, ocarinas, pan pipes etc. and this has certainly reduced my interest in this site. The majority of (the few) accordions still listed nowadays are poor quality, overpriced ones which are unlikely to make the buyer smile. The percentage that actually sell must be the lowest I have encountered.
Are we doomed?
Garth

I don't think we're doomed but we may all have enough accordions now! First eBay opened up new worlds of what you could get hold of. Then about 10 years ago prices got a bit high as more people thought they had some spare cash. Then times got harder, prices got tight and repairers were flooded with work as people saw the benefit of getting an old box done up instead of going for an unaffordable new one. We're left with far more boxes than players and a lot of people nervous about spending. Maybe too the rush of excitement (that I also felt) about learning about what is out there, thanks to the Internet, has died down a bit now that everyone has got used to the Internet.

Ebay has mostly junk instruments IMO , most needing more work than their end worth . That said, Ebay usually has plenty of desirable high end ones too , but there are far too many buyers bidding for them . I buy and sell occasionally and I`m finding it harder as time passes to win a bid.

What also baffles me is how many accordion players I know will spend thousands every couple years for the latest automobile with all the costly options , but so few ever bought a brand new accordion for themselves.

That's only because they can't take the wife down to the local market for milk in the accordion... lol

The "local" second hand market does better than a global one, because an accordion is something that needs to be tried before buying in order to know whether you will fall in love with it or not. In the Netherlands there is "marktplaats.nl" with a reasonable number of excellent, decent and bad accordions for sale. You really need to meet in person, try an instrument, perhaps even open it up to check what's inside. It is not really something to simply buy on-line unseen unless you know very well what you are getting, trust the seller, and even then just "hope for the best".
Generally I consider sites like Ebay totally unfit for items like accordions, especially since it is 99% impossible to buy any instrument that will be 100% ok when it arrives.

I'll give you my experience for what its worth I think dealers are only interested in one thing and that's profit I don't care who they are the majority of dealers can play one well also have knowledge of repairing one, just spare a thought for those of us who are buying one for the first time don't know the inside from the outside if you know what I mean and rely on trust of the accordion dealer they promise you the earth just to get a sale and then its excuse after excuse like Ok when it left the shop are you sure you haven't dropped it could have been damaged by the courier, it is second hand, if you live in an area that has accordion shops you can go and at least listen to them and examine them but that's not use if you don't know anything about the accordion all to easy to make a quick buck.
We are then left holding the baby we either sell it on and give someone else the head ache even second hand they are not cheap and not everyone can afford a new one all this is not very good for the future of the instrument and that's what my opinion is I am in the process of trying to put things right with my own accordion I am just not a person who could let someone have it as it is sad state of affairs its getting like the second hand car market.

I agree that buying on Ebay requires a suitable discount for uncertainty. I probably wouldnt do it unless I was happy to tune and refurb etc.

Ive been too busy of late to look very often, but Id agree with Garths feeling that theres less of interest around these days, but I have no idea why.

A quick look today produced three of some interest

C system Hohner Sirena at £225 - even in my own county!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOHNER-CH...542942?hash=item2a70e2df5e:g:u6MAAOSw8gVX2rz2[/url]

Another chromatic which is in your area Matt
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ligna-120...873503?hash=item4b085d359f:g:K~gAAOSw4shX2q1c[/url]

Im rather surprised there is so little info about this one, but it is collection only (Derby.) If I was interested Id ask the seller where it came from.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIANO-ACCORDION-/252549593622?hash=item3acd20fa16:g:j1EAAOSwawpXugdJ[/url]

Following up on Paul's idea.....
Might be an idea to list local sites so we can see what is going on around the world.
Like Paul my local site is marktplaats.nl
A sensible search query is: accordeon; accordion;

Glenn said:
Following up on Pauls idea.....
Might be an idea to list local sites so we can see what is going on around the world.
Like Paul my local site is marktplaats.nl
A sensible search query is: accordeon; accordion;

Here the states we have Craigslist. Unlike kijiji, they dont let you search the whole country (although there are third-party sites that aggregate). Normally youd use the sub-site pertaining to your local area. For example: http://nashville.craigslist.org/

Because a lot of people misspell accordion, I always also search for accordian. On Craigslist you can separate the two search terms with a vertical pipe character:

accordion | accordion

"Timed out" of my last epic reply to this post, you'll all be glad to hear.

To summarise, if they're not selling many new ones these days, the secondhand market is doomed, but hopefully not in my lifetime!

Just my two cents from a half empty coin jar!

I am addicted to searching Ebay for accordions (almost a much as viewing posts on this forum) and have been tempted to bid a few times with mixed results

1) Weltmeister Amigo (20s ?) 120 bass (£17 + £10 postage)
- purchased to take apart to see how an accordion works. Nice sound but no sound from too many piano keys
2) Pompeo Bompezzo 48 (12 x 4) bass 2 voice (£48 collected)
- see http://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2026
- I had to replace straps but otherwise all working. This is the accordion I play most but limited sound options with only 2 voice
3) Parrot 48 (12x4) base 3 voice (£80 collected)
- Nice sound and immaculate condition but too much work to play - stiff bellows
- sold for £46
4) Bellini IV 120 bass, 4 voice (£100 collected)
- see http://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2716
- lovely sound, fully functioning, leathers had been replaced - a real bargain (in my opinion)
5) Becha 2 Russian Garmon (£15 collected)
- see http://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3041
- lovely sound but not compatible with learning piano accordion
- sold for £10
6) Lignatone 60 base, 3 voice (£50 + £15 postage)
- lovely sound and just about playable if only use 2 voices but too many problems. Not worth the £65
7) Weltmeister 120 bass, 3 voice (£90 + £10 postage)
- bass buttons all fell out in transit; agreed partial refund of £60
- havent got round to trying to repair it

In conclusion, Ive had loads of fun with Ebay purchases and got a couple of good accordions. Im bidding on another now with little expectation of winning the bidding

JeffJetton said:
Here the states we have Craigslist.
Craigslist is here in Canada too (craigslist.ca), however it is just a bit less popular than kijiji, but it should be considered too.

Thanks for reminding me about that, Jeff. :)

Several good on-line sites for secondhand accordeons in France. Perhaps the best one is http://www.leboncoin.fr .Usually 2500 to 3000 accordeons for sale at any time. The good the bad and the ugly. I find lovely accordeons offered at the other end of the country and have driven all day long to get to the sellers location... not always with a successfull outcome. But at least there is a vibrant market and Im sure I do not have enough accordeons... yet!

I've had some super bargains off eBay.. but I agree with Artelagro that good 'bargains' on eBay have become thin on the ground. There is some possible exchange rate influence there as purchases from abroad have become more expensive.
However I spotted a Hohner Bravo 72 looking 'as new' £250 ono on Gumtree, collect only, Stoke (40 minutes) the other day. Now Bravos are not that well thought off, but I'd have that for a good traveller or re-sale for a few hundred ££ profit pocket money... but someone else had the same idea first. Come on... own up.. :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back