• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Atlantic Treble Reed Block Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnniez

Hi all

I have to remove the blocks in the treble side.

Is there a routine one has to follow.. ??

Is there anything that can get caught or grab when taking them out?

Is there an order of how the get taken out and then reinstalled?

any other pertinent info be good?

Tnx
Johnnie

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 804
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 803
I cannot comment on the hohner specifically, but for me usually taking the reedblocks out is the easier part.

The problem that I have is when it comes to re-installing them I have a tendency to catch the leathers on the reed block next to the one that I am installing.

So my only comment would be to watch the leather valves when re-installing them.
Ben

Hi Johnnie, I can't offer much help because mine is still in its dismantled state but they did come out very easily and the fixing screws appear to be captive. My fear was that the screws would 'go for a flier' but that didn't happen so I don't expect any trouble on the rebuild.
Because some of the blocks are tied together I didn't feel any need to identify them further but you can easily mark them with a pencil or felt tipped pen if needed. I am a great believer in taking numerous photos - to help old sods like me make sure things go back in the proper place.
Good luck with your strip/build - Its a beautiful looking box.
Garth

Hi tnx for replies

What order do I under the screws on each block.. ??? I read somewhere or maybe video that there is a slider or something that goes in the bottom of the block that if bent will be ruined. Where is that? or is there one on this accordion.. ?? Hey, I'm a newbie.. lol. as some know already.. lol

In the fist picture up there the left side is brown thing with holes.. On the other side not in the picture is the screws.. What order to I undo them looks like two blocks per row?

Have to do all this as I thought I had it all going really good then a pad came off treble side.. re glued it another one came off .. re-glued it.then two came off.. and now, Here I am .>> lol

I am trying to be carefull and really do appreciate all the help from folks on here. Cuddos !! to all..

Johnnie

Read the last comment in this reply first.

And number the blocks so you know where they go back, as Garth said.
Johnniez said:
Hi tnx for replies

What order do I under the screws on each block.. ???

Doesnt matter. Dont start on the middle blocks, start at the top (or bottom) in the pic - so you are only avoiding brushing a reed block valves above (or below depending on where you start). If you start in the middle youd have to avoid above AND below.

Johnniez said:
I read somewhere or maybe video that there is a slider or something that goes in the bottom of the block that if bent will be ruined. Where is that? or is there one on this accordion.. ?? Hey, Im a newbie.. lol. as some know already.. lol
Underneath the block, through a groove the length of block, sometimes- they changed it so not sure if on this model - which is why you need to be very careful as you take it out not to bend the slider. You should be able to see where the slider anchors, and let it slide out of the block as you take it out... or unhook it from the anchor - depending on the Atlantic design from this date.

Johnniez said:
In the fist picture up there the left side is brown thing with holes.. On the other side not in the picture is the screws.. What order to I undo them looks like two blocks per row?
I dont follow, cant see brown thing with holes? Undo all the retaining screws on one block, take the braces off, they just turn on one of the screw, carefully lift the block a little to see if it has the sliders attached if so avoid a tight bend on the slider - its easier than it sounds/you think - just dont bull at a gate it..

Johnniez said:
Have to do all this as I thought I had it all going really good then a pad came off treble side.. re glued it another one came off .. re-glued it.then two came off.. and now, Here I am .>> lol
You dont need to remove the blocks to do the pads... ?

I've never worked on an Atlantic, but given that each reed "block" appears to be in two parts I'd have thought it very unlikely that the registers run in the base of the reed blocks.

HI..

Yes reason I have to take the blocks out to do the pads is the old ones in there are turning to dust. Its everywhere. SO I figure its probably getting into the reeds etc or will if I leave them in. I wish to vacuum it all and get rid of all the garbage dust hair etc.

Soulsaver;
The holes I were referring to I should have said slots.. There are 4 slots or rectangular things on the left in the top photo.. Looks like square holes or something inside the rectangles.

Thanks for all the help.. Its gave me more confidence.. I will however number each row as A1 A2, B1 B2, etc so I know what goes where .. I can see how getting them out will be a very carefull operation and putting them back. Wish me luck. lol

Johnnie

Hi John; Was out of town and was unable to check my stock. Will give you a call today.
JIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back