• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Atlantic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decbox

Reaction score
Hi. Can anybody give me any information on the History of the Hohner Atlantic. As in what year the grille changes were made, different types of Reed used etc. I did have one from 1956 which seemed to have brass Reed plates. I suspect later models had H Reeds.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Declan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210419_232021.jpg
    Screenshot_20210419_232021.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20210419_232134.jpg
    Screenshot_20210419_232134.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 22
I don't know their entire history, but in the 70's they came in 3 flavors:
Atllantic IV N
Atllantic IV N Musette
Atllantic IV N de Luxe.

All had 11 register on the right, 3 registers on the left. I was told that some Atlantics had hand finished reeds and the Atlantic de Lux had hand made reeds in the 70's.

I don't know their entire history, but in the 70's they came in 3 flavors:
Atllantic IV N
Atllantic IV N Musette
Atllantic IV N de Luxe.

All had 11 register on the right, 3 registers on the left. I was told that some Atlantics had hand finished reeds and the Atlantic de Lux had hand made reeds in the 70's.
Not sure. I believe the Atlantic IV N (whether standard LMMH or Musette LMMM) all have machine reeds, either H or T, I'm not sure. The de Luxe model had somewhat better reeds, perhaps coated with something, perhaps hand finished but I doubt that. Given Hohner's ambition to make as much money as possible while offering as little as possible I really doubt that any Atlantic ever had hand made reeds.
The biggest change in the Atlantic was that in the N series the jalousie was removed. It was probably too expensive and not sufficiently reliable in the long run to keep it in there. People I know who used to play the Atlantic IV before N used to play with the jalousie closed all the time to get a bit more mellow sound of the otherwise very sharp sound caused by the "Metalbau" of the Atlantic.
Hohner de Luxe models sometimes also offered a "Winkelbaß" instead of a normal bass.
All the "good" Atlantics I have seen (if you can call any of them "good") have a grille similar to that of the N series. The original post by Decbox shows an Atlantic N and then a different accordion I do not recognize as being an Atlantic at all.
Note these posts are from April already so maybe Decbox already knows more by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back