• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Atlantic IV N DeLuxe VOX 5P MIDI

neilson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this was a good deal, but I just bought a Hohner Atlantic IV N DeLuxe VOX 5P MIDI for 450 EUR. From the pictures, it looks like it is in excellent condition, but I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.

I'm more interested in the "plain" Atlantic IV N Deluxe itself and not so much in the MIDI features. However, I was wondering if there is any way to connect it to a computer or keyboard to play with it. I read somewhere that these MIDI interfaces from the 80s may not be compatible with modern MIDI interfaces.
Do you know if this is really the case?

Also, is it possible to connect it to an amp? And if I wanted to explore it further, how much work would it take to remove all the MIDI wires and devices and reuse the holes on the frame to install, for instance, a set of internal microphones and a stereo audio jack?

Thanks!

Without knowing what MIDI inputs/outputs it has OR if it has analog mics and required hardware, it is impossible to say. This is equivalent of me asking can you tell me how my car drives and give you no other information other than that.

The answer is a firm, "we don't know, it depends on how your Atlantic is setup".

yeah, you are right. I thought these things would be standardized. I've looked for specs on this model online but without success.
In any case, this is the one. Not sure if you can see anything relevant in this picture.IMG-6450.jpg

well obviously you see that huge connector on the grill

is the unique custom cable that plugs into that
and
is the unique electronic device that the custom cable then plugs into
included for the 450 Euro's ?

did they say the electronics work in the advertisement ?
did they even mention the electronics ?

if not, then it is just an acoustic accordion if you are lucky,
or a doorstop if you are not

In the ad there was nothing else included but the accordion.
I've seen that, indeed, this accordion has a huge electronic appliance that is usually sold together with it.
That's definitely not included.
Well, hopefully I get at least a good acoustic accordion to practice :)
Buying this thing was my alternative to not buying the chinese Startone 120b from Thomann.

I myself have committed the mortal sin of converting a cordovox to all accoustic, resulting in a heavy, ugly beast with nice reeds, sounds. If this one has nice reeds, you could do the same. It may already have an internal mic (optimism). Anyway, good luck!

This is an accordion from the later 1980’s, MIDI had JUST come out a couple years earlier, much less was standardized. If I remember correctly, the MIDI was integrated in the external “box”, without it, this is basically an acoustic box.

The VOX 4P had the organ and other polyphonic sound controls on the accordion and some externally and no MIDI. The 5P placed things outside the accordion except some basic controls and added basic MIDI, meaning no bellows control, no velocity keys, nothing but a straight and simple note on and off. Even if this accordion had all the missing electronics, I doubt they would be very functional today.

1678836075691.jpeg
This accordion was very much in the running for me in the mid 80s, but in a point for point comparison lost against the Elka 83 and I had the chance to play it and compare it against the Elka. My father was the one that wrote to Hohner in Toronto and they were nice enough to arrange a demo and test for me... I even still have the original hand signed/typed letter from them. :)

The 4P was Hohner”s answer to the Cordavox, the 5P was their answer to the Elkavox 83, neither of which quite matched their competition at the time.

As far as specs are concerned for the Atlantic Deluxe, from the 1972 factory brochure:

The Hohner Atlantic IV N with many new features

Apart from the well known advantages of Atlantic construction, both these models now include the following improvenenls:
I Longer white keys
I New shape black keys
I Easy-view registers with register symbols I New reedblock fixtures
I lmproved coupling with central traverse
I Bigger size in the lower octaves for better response
Longerchannels forfully effective bass
I
I Bigger key lever transmission for direct contact and quicker response
Greater volume through new type resonance hood
Fewer workrng parts for easier servicing.

HOHNER Atlantlc IV N de Luxe has hand made reeds and...
41 piano keys,4 sets of reeds, double octave tuning - Tone range: f-a"
11 effective treble switches
1 master coupler at keyboard edge
120 basses in 6 rows
3 bass registers
Size: 480 x 185 mm
Colo!rs: black or ivory
Weight ln case: approx. 15,7 ks (34.5 lbs) without case: approx.11,1 kg (24 lbs)

Of course like other Atlantic and Imperator models they had the metal internal construction known as metalbauweisse on both left and right hand areas.

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 7.38.20 PM.png
If the accordion is in good condition, its a pretty nice and good sounding accordion.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for such detailed answer, @JerryPH!
Yeah, I would be pretty happy with the acoustic box itself if it is really in a good condition.
I’ve got a FR1X to play around with the midi things anyway😊

Thank you all for the answers!

Posting my first impressions here in case anyone else is looking for information about the Hohner Atlantic IV N Deluxe model:
  1. This accordion model appears to be quite common on Germany's eBay and Kleinanzeigen (similar to Craigslist in Germany). Over the past three months, I've seen them being sold for anywhere between 500 EUR to 700 EUR in auctions. If you purchase from a dealer, expect to pay around 1200 EUR. While this is not statistically significant, it gives you an idea of the price range.
  2. The Hohner Atlantic IV N Deluxe MIDI version (the one I purchased) is quite heavy, weighing around 13.5 KG. The "plain" acoustic version may be lighter.
  3. The sound of the Hohner Atlantic IV N Deluxe is amazing! As a hobbyist, I don't have many references, but when I compare it to my other Weltmeister Stella 96 bass, I can clearly hear the difference. The Weltmeister sounds artificial and cheap, while the Hohner sounds warm and authentic. They may not be in the same category, but I was surprised by how different they sounded.
  4. I was in search of a full-size 120 Bass accordion and was considering a used Hohner or the Startone 120 IV Black model from Thomann. I ultimately chose the Hohner after receiving advice to avoid Chinese-made accordions. However, I am still curious about the Startone and plan to drive to Thomann in Burgebrach to try the Startone Piano Accordion 120 IV Black. I will post my findings here.
Thank you all again for the advice, comments, and for maintaining this great community.

I am still curious about the Startone and plan to drive to Thomann in Burgebrach to try the Startone Piano Accordion 120 IV Black. I will post my findings here.
I have a pretty fair idea already. Kind of like comparing a strong mid-range car to a Yugo. The key action will be weak, the sound will be disappointing, the tuning will be even worse, and the feel is going to be like playing a toy vs a real instrument. ;)

I played an older Hohner Bravo and the new Chinese made Hohner Bravo. To me it felt like they lost 75% of the instrument... it was light, cheap, poorly made and the sound was the most disappointing thing I had heard. This was my uncle's accordion, and he basically sold it off right after I played it.

Back