• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Atlantic Grille Refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

artelagro

Site Supporter
Reaction score
This thread began, looking for a colour match but has progressed to show other problems.

I have an old Hohner Atlantic 1V of maroon/brown??? colour. Does anyone know the number of the Humbrol or Airfix range of touch-up tins which would be a near match. The silver colour would also be a bonus.
Thanks.
Garth

Is this for the latest one?
The rot plain red (not pearl) was only available on deluxe IVs officially. I agree it is nearer maroon than red and Humbrol lid colour that looks nearest (not actually tried it yet) is Crimson gloss 20 A0233.

http://www.humbrol.com/us-en/catalog/product/view/id/903/
...remembering that your screen wont give a true impression of the colour - the lid on mine looks way darker than the on PC screen colour.

Nearer to this (1950s) one on my screen settings...

Attachments

• red atlantic.jpg
    red atlantic.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 1,481
Yes, I would guess it's a 1950s model. I haven't seen the latest one yet but would guess it to be the same.
My ambition is to have it looking like Soulsaver's photo.
Thanks again boys
p.s. Is that the standard grille cloth?
Garth

You're right, it doesn't look like original grill cloth ... good spot. This isn't my one ... I just found one on web that looked a match for the colour of the tin lid. It still will depend on your screen colour settings, and any possible variations in the actual colour of the accordion. If your doing small bits I'm sure this shade will be virtually unnoticeable.

I think I am about to be proved wrong over the colour.

On the grille there are some 3mm diameter approx. bars which run the length of the keyboard plus another set which are perpendicular to those. These look as if they could be aluminium or painted plastic? In one photo they seem to have a gold, not silver colour.

This is guesswork for me just now because my first Atlantic has a missing grille and the latest one is still with the courier - I am just going by Ebay's photographs.

We are so near the finish line just now, I am getting a bit anxious.

Garth

Yep they are gold, but sometimes the colour's rubbed off, or light reflecting in a pic makes it look silver.

An update on my search for paint. I cleaned, then T-cut the casing of the bass section so I could do a daylight comparison on my visit to town.
Toy shop, Humbrol range. - No near match.
Hardware shop, interior or exterior paint by different manufacturers - No near match.
Car accessory shop - Bingo!
<SIZE size="150">Vauxhall Burgundy Red - This Hycote, double acrylic aerosol gave as near a match as I would think could be possible.
Now all I have to do is learn how to spray paint.
Garth

Did you find the Humbrol I listed? It was for sure the nearest Humbrol colour, admittedly not perfect but good for chips. Thought it not near enough?
I did the same as you, took my bass cover to Halfords. The spray I thought looked nearest to mine was a VW Gambia Red, albeit I didnt use it because there is only the odd tiny chip and the Humbrol will cover them. I didnt need a spray.

Note though: We are both comparing cap colour.. it isnt always a perfect match for the sprayed & cured paint.. partly because the cap colour is either a plastic mouding or a ccolour printed strip of paper.

Heres yours on ebay.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hycote-Va...ylic-Spray-Paint-150Ml-Aerosols-/130982895454
Halfords do the same colour description http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...s-vauxhall-burgundy-red-car-spray-paint-300ml

And maybe the Hohner paint varied over time.

Ill do a pic later, accordion & can together.

I got to the toy shop then realised the paint number you had given me had not travelled well :oops: , so I had to find a match in the shop. I can't remember the numbers I did try but they weren't near enough.
When I got home I sprayed three coats onto a sheet of glossy white paper plus, with the tiny brush, I touched up a few worn sections. I feel fairly confident about getting away with it.
It looks like a previous owner used to stand the accordion vertically instead of using the four feet and the concrete floor has worn through to the aluminium. This and the other battle scars dictate the need for a major paint job.
Garth

Attachments

• IMG_20150915_152146.jpg
    IMG_20150915_152146.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 1,997
  • IMG_20150915_151657.jpg
    IMG_20150915_151657.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 1,999
Some members may be wondering why we are making such a fuss over the finish of part of an accordion. The reason is Atlantic grilles are quite scarce and attempts should be made to preserve/restore any that turn up or, if you look at it through a Scotsman’s eyes, a saving of up to £500 which is approx. Hohner’s price for a new replacement.
I have two old Atlantics, one with a damaged grille and the other with none so I have a double incentive to try and get it right.
Some of the (gold) decorative rods on my grille are missing. If anyone is interested I will show how I aim to repair.
Garth

artelagro said:
Some members may be wondering why we are making such a fuss over the finish of part of an accordion. The reason is Atlantic grilles are quite scarce and attempts should be made to preserve/restore any that turn up or, if you look at it through a Scotsman’s eyes, a saving of up to £500 which is approx. Hohner’s price for a new replacement.
I have two old Atlantics, one with a damaged grille and the other with none so I have a double incentive to try and get it right.
Some of the (gold) decorative rods on my grille are missing. If anyone is interested I will show how I aim to repair.
Garth
Yes please, Garth. Im always interested in the practical side... even though I was lucky enough to find (pay pretty good money for..) a cosmetic near minter.. in this instance.
(It does need pallets doing... which I must get round to..)
That is my one in the above pics, unlike the earlier example, with replacement grill cloth, I scraped from google.

On my grille, the long 3mm diameter bars are intact and probably just need repainting.
The variable length 4mm dia. bars are pitted, bent or missing so partial replacement is needed.
I couldn't find 4mm diameter aluminium tube so I tried three options
1) Make new bars from Polymorph. See YouTube - a granular Nylon like substance that can be heated then rolled into bar form.
2) Make new bars from Sugru. See YouTube - A substance like plasticene which cures to resemble rubber.
3) Make new bars from Styrene tube from the model shop. These look like drinking straws.

The polymorph was very difficult to roll into a bar of constant diameter and to bend. I also wasn't confident of finding a suitable adhesive.
The Sugru was easier to work but again difficult to form accurately.
As I write, the Styrene tubes are being immersed in near boiling water to bend into shape - Going to be a long job. I believe that a good epoxy glue will stick these to the aluminium grille.
Photos to follow.
Garth

Looks really good Jim thanks. Have just ordered some from Hong Kong with an adhesive back. Is that the same idea as yours?
Garth

sorry to but in, but are the bars on the grille always Gold? - I have the same model in black, and the bars are silver, but with a sort of tarnished layer on (used to be paint?) Were they all Gold, or was there differences between the different colour models (red has gold, black has silver?)

Hi James
I hope someone can come in and give you your answer. I just had a look at the photos on Google and cant tell from there.
Garth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back