• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Having Fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hais1273

Reaction score
A few months ago I had a big old moan about not having fun at a band practice.

The clip below is really good, a good band with some fine musicians, particularly the accordionist in my opinion. People dancing and playing in the spring sunshine. I cant quite work out if this is a wedding celebration or a fancy dress event or both, I dont suppose it really matters because it looks fun to me :D

Would anyone care to speculate as to why there seems to be relatively little Italian traditonal written music on the internet, whereas you can find a lifetimes worth of French bourrees, Breton En-dros and Scottish reels?

I do have an idea about this, but I'll hold back for a bit in case anyone who actually knows answers first.

They are certainly having fun, which is the most important thing.

The Groom's "uniform" does not look typically Italian, as they tend toward the flamboyant, but I have no real notion of where else it could be. The little speech that can be heard sounds Italian, though my language skills will not allow me to be certain. Perhaps we have an Italian speaker on the forum who could shed light on the matter.

Anyway, Italian music. In the same way that Pressley developed "Wooden Heart" from a German folk song, some Italian folk songs have found their way into English popular music. "Le Colline Sono in Fiore" became "The River" when Ken Dodd sang it, and I believe that "Love Me With All Of Your Heart" also emanated from traditional Italian music.

Not much to go on, but I hope it helps.

Stephen.

I think Band Practices are rarely 'fun', after all it is about working on the band's abilities, but when you get a dance band playing for happy dancers that is a very different situation. Thanks for posting the video, enjoyable stuff.... mind the Bass player is a wee bit boring, not helped because I have yet to find a way to reduce the bass level ( EQ) on my laptop.

I've never looked for Trad. Italian written music on the web though I think most people could learn this tune by ear in a few minutes :?

Geoff de Limousin said:
I think Band Practices are rarely 'fun',

they can be - it depends to some degree on the leaders style but whether or not the actual practice is or isn't fun the trip to the suitably lubricated 'meeting' in the pub after practice should always contain a healthy degree of levity - for the good of the band of course!!

george {} :hb :ch
;)

Fun indeed, catchy tune. Here they are with an ocarina in the mix.

Thanks for the feed back. There something about this style of music that just does it for me.

I enjoyed the clip of the American lady on TED.com. Unlike accordions that you pretty much just pick up and play, 'gurdies seem to appeal to fiddlers and fettlers, they go out of tune at the drop of a hat and then the player has to fiddle with them and adjust this and that and so on. When played well they can drive the tune along nicely.

I think I could learn this tune by "ear", I don't enjoy doing it, I'm not very good at learning by ear, it's a bit of trial and then remembering the tune a day or two later....but my accordion teacher maintains doing so is GOOD for me...so I keep plodding on.

hais1273 said:
there seems to be relatively little Italian traditonal written music on the internet?

Italian Music can be found here:
- https://www.organetto.info/archivio/index.php
- https://www.organetto.info/repertorio_ita.htm
- http://www.organetto.it/pages/spartiti.html
- http://www.organetto.net/partiture-1/organetto/spartiti-a-note.html

At the organetto.net site, one can download the Mario Carbone pdf books, all songs are on youtube, and one can also order the DVDs with all the tunes slow and normal speed.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back