• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How much would you invest in having an accordion professionally "overhauled"?

I would agree with one exception... if there was some sentimental reason attached to that accordion. I own a Hohner Morino VI N, value somewhere between $6500-$8500 in Canada. If it was tossed off a stage, I would not even bat an eye to toss $10,000 or more to have that accordion made new again.
Still sentimental value can not cost $4200 no matter what kind of accordionbit is .
not too much for a Guerrini that was built in San Francisco

Yes my friend who does repair and sell accordions has now sold 2 and that is the range they went for. As for the ones in good condition in the Netherlands... there is no sentimental value for those accordions to me. Those were not the instruments that my own parents carried from Trossingen to Canada for me. :)

Sentimentality is expensive at times, that was the point I was trying to make! :D :D
I fully understand. I have a few things (a small painting and an old brass clock for instance) I inherited from my grandmother and it doesn't matter what these are worth, I can never give them up. I inherited a Crucianelli Super Video from my sister and did a complete overhaul on it (cleaned every single part, put new bellows tape on it, new bellows gasket tape, cleaned all the reeds, put new valves on them, new wax, tuned everything, got new shoulder-, bass and bellow straps for it... Had I been a professional repairer this would have cost significantly more than the accordion is worth. And it's a piano accordion (while as you know I play C system button accordion)... But I can also never give this accordion up...

I am going through this dilemma as well. Some of you already know, but I picked up an old organetto Bolognese. It is an early example of the type of instruments that were used in the genre that I am focusing on. I have been looking for one for a few years. It plays as-is, but is badly out of tune and leaks a lot of air. I am trying to decide if I want to do the work myself, or send it out for a professional restoration. One thing that is holding me back from investing a lot into it, is that I probably won't play it as my main instrument. I would use it a lot, but it won't be in my hands for hours each day. I'm going to see if I can get a few quotes and go from there.
Since it is rare to find these, I am considering it. However, if they were readily available, I would just find one that is in better condition.

I think they’re a lot of good arguments either way. Without a sentimental consideration if you trust the technician it may be the safer bet that you’re going to end up with an instrument that isn’t compromised with some unknown issue. Sometimes there is value in something being a known quantity. If the reeds haven’t been wrecked by overzealous tuning and everything is sufficient quality to be a useful tool for making music and the cost is within a comfortable budget for you why not.

We talk a lot about repair cost and the relationship to market value. But sometimes you simply can’t buy a model that meets specific needs for market value, and you find the value of having those needs met is greater than market value.

Hi,
(up to) what amount should I spend on servicing the accordion described above?
the answer is clear. You need exactly that amount of money that is necessary to have joy, pleasure, and satisfaction from accordion playing. There is a parallel with the car: How much are you willing to invest in your car repairs so that you feel safe, comfortable and for reliably transporting to your destination?

Best regards, Vladimir

Everybody raise your hand if you have spent more on your accordion(s) than they are worth. ✋✋✋✋

I'm new to accordions, so "not yet". But I have spent more on my double bass that it's worth. I even had a luthier ask me if I was sure I wanted the work done as the instrument didn't justify it... but it does to me as I like its tone, visually it suits me and we've been through a lot together.

Attachments

• daisy - 1.jpeg
    daisy - 1.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 14
I'm new to accordions, so "not yet". But I have spent more on my double bass that it's worth. I even had a luthier ask me if I was sure I wanted the work done as the instrument didn't justify it... but it does to me as I like its tone, visually it suits me and we've been through a lot together.
Sentimentality is an unforgiving mistress that demands a lot... I am in the same position myself for a few items too and never hesitate to do what's needed. :D

Now that I have the brand new accordion as the reference -

The other one definitely does not suck, and seems worth spending a little bit of money on and keep it as a spare / 2nd accordion.

That double bass is a beauty! Love the cream color :) Incidentally very similar to the color of my accordion.

]]]Keep in mind that this rebuild will take me about 4 times the time it takes to do a teardown on the Boeing jet engine we have at my friends place.[[[

Is it going into your AMC Pacer ?🤖🤖🤖
I sold the pacer 20 some years ago.

That double bass is a beauty! Love the cream color :) Incidentally very similar to the color of my accordion.

Thank you! It's only a cheap plywood instrument, but somehow I got a good one. I think it left the factory in more of a white shade, but the previous owner left it in the sun and it now has a lovely ivory-coloured patina.

Back