• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Growling basses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Does anybody else experience their basses making a noise that to me sounds like growling? Its kind of a vibrating rattling sound. Of course i would take it to the dealer but it isa 3 hour plane ride away. I really dislike it. It is most unpleasant.

If we're talking about an older, used instrument, the effect you hear is commonly due to "older " ageing leather valves hanging away from the valve plates. You can see this condition for yourself by opening the bellows and viewing the reed blocks.
It is considered a fault by purists, but (within reason) I don't mind it .
It can be fixed ( relatively easily for a technician) by replacing and rewaxing the affected valves with new ( leather or plastic).
(Not terminal)??

Last edited:
Gosh, i sure hope thats not the cause..this is occuring on a new instrument that i bought in 2020. Also on one that is about 8 years old.
Thank you fpr your thoughts…

Also, see here:
And here:

Last edited:
"...this is occuring on a new instrument that i bought in 2020..."
In that case, would it still be under warranty??

Some reed growl in the bass, the kind that persists for a small fraction of a second after the button is released is considered normal in some accordions. In fact, Roland included it as a switchable option on their V-accordions for what they called “added realism.” (I keep mine switched off.)

The level of “reed growl” in that video (especially given that, for demonstration purposes, he is deliberately holding down the button for a prolonged time and appears to maintain a fairly high bellows pressure throughout) seems fine to me. But if the growling lasts much longer or is continuous, or is more like a “snuffling” or rattling sound, that is not right.

Last edited:
There are several possible sources of what you call "growl". While the note is playing something I would describe as "rattling" could be the reed hitting the reed plate. This can happen in cold temperatures. Also while the note is playing it's possible that the reed is hitting the valve. It's also possible that when you play loudly the reed hits the inside back wall of the reed block. And it's possible that if the valve has plastic boosters the valve and booster are rattling together. The other form of growl is only when the note stops playing. The reed still vibrates a bit and that is what is traditionally described as the "growl" and while it's an acquired taste I actually like this effect.

Does anybody else experience their basses making a noise that to me sounds like growling? Its kind of a vibrating rattling sound. Of course i would take it to the dealer but it isa 3 hour plane ride away. I really dislike it. It is most unpleasant.
Has the growl always existed or is it something that you have just recently noticed? You mention that both of your accordions exhibit the same growl. debra mentions cold weather as a possible cause. You live in Alaska.
Did you notice any bass growl on your recent visit trying out new accordions?

I had this happen with a vintage accordion I'd purchased, and it indeed was due to old and curling leather valves. My teacher, who also repairs accordions, fixed the problem quickly and relatively inexpensively, and now it sounds great. But this was a 60-year-old accordion, and it doesn't seem that would be the issue with a new instrument. Is it happening across the bass section, or just on a few notes? Do you feel comfortable taking out the bellows pins so you can have a look inside? Or maybe call the shop and play it for them over the phone so they can at least hear the issue. Perhaps they have a technician they use for repairs who is closer to you? The cold weather angle would also be worth looking into. Where do you store the accordions when you're not playing them? See if letting them warm up in a cozy room before you start your practice sessions helps. I can certainly understand the frustration of having a sound you don't like coming from your instrument! (Especially one that's not your fault!)

Thanks so much for your comments.
I have a very trusted friend who is an accordion hobbyist/mechanic that i trust to look at it
I complained about this to the store and i dont remember what they said. This was about 3 years ago. I also complained to a store employee who praised that growly sound. So i guess she likes it.

This has happened to at least two of my four. One being 4 yrs old, and the other only one year old. They live in a pleasantly warm room..and i practice in one.

Perhaps sonething inside went wacko during one of the times ihad to carry them through the cold though.
Thanks for your useful thoughts. Im really glad to know ican get rid of that growl!
And will contact petosas again about it.

I have a very trusted friend who is an accordion hobbyist/mechanic that i trust to look at it
I complained about this to the store and i dont remember what they said. This was about 3 years ago. I also complained to a store employee who praised that growly sound. So i guess she likes it.

This has happened to at least two of my four. One being 4 yrs old, and the other only one year old. They live in a pleasantly warm room..and i practice in one.

Perhaps sonething inside went wacko during one of the times ihad to carry them through the cold though.
Thanks for your useful thoughts. Im really glad to know ican get rid of that growl!
And will contact petosas again about it

We're still in the dark as to what kind of "growl" you are hearing. Can you perhaps post a sound sample? If the growl is just one one or a few notes and is caused by a defect it could perhaps be diagnosed by listening. (Often it takes a bit of magic to solve such issues. I at least do not have a setup to look inside the bellow compartment while the accordion is being played and some of the issues do not show up when you take out a reed block and put it on a "tuning table"...)

Nothing wrong with the basses on the accordion here. The talented accordionist here prefers digging into bass notes when performing
some pieces. With a more staccato use of the basses, the growing would subside .

Zevy,
I love 'em!??
BTW, there's a very good view ( 6:11+) of how he wears his bass strap ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back