• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Basses

Vuksan

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to add basses in any song that hasn't written them in the notes. For example how to play notes for piano on accordion if you don't have the bass key written down. How to add them on your own?

Can someone tell me how to add basses in any song that hasn't written them in the notes. For example how to play notes for piano on accordion if you don't have the bass key written down. How to add them on your own?
I have a hard time understanding your question. What kind of piano score has no bass notes? What do you mean by "bass key written down"?

Welcome Vuksan! Do you mean that you have the treble notes (melody) as piano sheet music, but no bass chords or notes included? If so, I would recommend starting with the I, IV, and V chords in the key of the tune. (Ask here for help finding these). Start off with the I chord, when it’s not sounding right, try the IV or V. Use your ears as your guide. If none of these sound right, try a chord based on the note(s) you’re playing. Ie, if you run across E and G, try Em. I hope this helps, if not, please try explaining more what you mean. Good luck!

Some learn over time by picking up rudimentary theory online, from hard-copy books, or with teachers. You can also learn over time by going through graded accordion instruction either with a teacher or on your own, using a graded materials such as the Palmer-Hughes accordion course books.

You can also help yourself learn by finding a lead sheet or sheet music to the piece or tune that is marked with chords. The chord marks are often inserted for accompaniment instruments like guitar or whatev. You can use those chords as pointers for which accordion basses to use.

If the song or tune is not super complex, much of the time it will be just as noted in the comment above, some combination of I, IV, V, V7, or minor variants thereof. Or diminished or augmented chords where they fit. For example, basses for a hefty a percentage of standard Christmas carols can be worked out literally using just these chords, and often only two or three of these chords. Advanced players might arrange carols with all kinds of jazz "Sus" chords and minor sevenths and colored modulations, and all that snazzy stuff. But you can totally carry the day with good old I, IV, V7 a helluva lot of the time.

Reactions: Tom
Back